Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 02 December | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    What's wrong with JFC? Mentions of other injuries but his has hardly been mentioned.
  • Options
    Hmm. Good preview.  Two teams with great ball retention stats but not much by way of goal threat. Could be a yawn fest.   Now I've said that we’ll win 5-4. 
  • Options
    What's wrong with JFC? Mentions of other injuries but his has hardly been mentioned.
    I wrote about it in the original post, but essentially he picked up a hamstring injury during the international break, but the severity hasn’t been disclosed. It’s expected to be only minor and he will be back soon, but with JFC, you’ve just got to be that extra careful. I hope he is back in training this week.

It does make me wonder whether it is because he had the bad ACL injury. Usually, to strengthen the knee afterwards, you’d focus more on developing the quads. They’re the activation muscles, the ones that will support the knee better, and are needed for power within the game. However, as I’ve always said, within football the ratio seems to be all wrong anyway. Hamstrings should be stronger than quads, and it makes me wonder that is JFC an example of the ratio being opposite, and although it helps to protect his knee, his hamstrings suffer instead. He was out last season with a hamstring injury too.
  • Options
    Sage said: Bangkokaddick said: What's wrong with JFC? Mentions of other injuries but his has hardly been mentioned.
    I wrote about it in the original post, but essentially he picked up a hamstring injury during the international break, but the severity hasn’t been disclosed. It’s expected to be only minor and he will be back soon, but with JFC, you’ve just got to be that extra careful. I hope he is back in training this week.

It does make me wonder whether it is because he had the bad ACL injury. Usually, to strengthen the knee afterwards, you’d focus more on developing the quads. They’re the activation muscles, the ones that will support the knee better, and are needed for power within the game. However, as I’ve always said, within football the ratio seems to be all wrong anyway. Hamstrings should be stronger than quads, and it makes me wonder that is JFC an example of the ratio being opposite, and although it helps to protect his knee, his hamstrings suffer instead. He was out last season with a hamstring injury too.

It's also worth noting that most ACL reconstructions are performed using 2 tendons of your own hamstring.

Without going too far into detail, some players just struggle with ongoing muscular niggles following such an op. I have no doubt professional rehab would have focused on the hammies as much as the quads, but he suffers with a weakness in this area. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    IF they cant beat shewsbury we should be beating them 2-0 to the addicks
  • Options
    Can’t afford too many blips like last last Tuesday over the course of the season and anything less than 3 points here will definitely be a blip.

Looking forward to attending and seeing some of the new signings.

Full faith in Bowyers and the boys...

0-1. 
  • Options
    Matthews and Gunter are both very good at this level so I suspect LB will keep Gunter at CB even if either Pearce or Famewo are fit to start. Then he would Pratley to midfield and rest Watson. Also, Morgan as a very effective playmaker means Maddison is currently surplus to requirements, which given his lack of fitness and attitude is a very good thing. So..
                                                                                                                Amos
                                                                                      Matthews     Gunter      Famewo     Purrington
                                                                                       Morgan       Pratley      Shinnie      Williams
                                                                                                          Washington   Bogle
    Subs:  AMB, Barker, Pearce, Watson, Gilbey, Aneke, Maddison

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I would rest Pratley and play Watson 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I think that is fair. But you only need one in a career to bugger you up.
    And even if you recover, there's the effect it can have on you in later life.

That's when football injuries can really impact on mobiltiy and quality of life issues.
    When you're 25, you don't think of that.
    I’m 25, and trust me I think of that. Had more than my fair share of injuries and feeling it already! 
    Don't I know! Just you wait until you're an old git, @Sage ........ that's when you're body reminds you that you used to play football.  :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Southbank said:
    Matthews and Gunter are both very good at this level so I suspect LB will keep Gunter at CB even if either Pearce or Famewo are fit to start. Then he would Pratley to midfield and rest Watson. Also, Morgan as a very effective playmaker means Maddison is currently surplus to requirements, which given his lack of fitness and attitude is a very good thing. So..
                                                                                                                Amos
                                                                                      Matthews     Gunter      Famewo     Purrington
                                                                                       Morgan       Pratley      Shinnie      Williams
                                                                                                          Washington   Bogle
    Subs:  AMB, Barker, Pearce, Watson, Gilbey, Aneke, Maddison

I can't see Maddison getting back in the starting XI until he proves himself to Bowyer, whether that's in training or as an impact sub for the last 30 mins.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:

That's when football injuries can really impact on mobiltiy and quality of life issues.
    I’m 25, and trust me I think of that. Had more than my fair share of injuries and feeling it already! 
    Don't I know! Just you wait until you're an old git, @Sage ........ that's when you're body reminds you that you used to play football.  :smile:
    Oh I can't wait... The only two things about me that says 25 is my age itself, and my face.
  • Options
    Andrew Surman is South African and Cameron Jerome still knocks about in England are two things i did not know. Thanks Sage. Jerome has always been a decent player and seems to have a surprisingly good record at MK despite his age. Cliché klaxon alert.... but at this level he is the sort of player Charlton typically struggle against. I fancy an entertaining 0-0, disappointing but not the end of the world.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oh I can't wait... The only two things about me that says 25 is my age itself, and my face.
    You mean you think you're an old git already, 40 years early? haha 

You ain't seen nothing yet! :smile:

• Options
    Quite an interesting pre-match interview with Russell Martin, who seems a decent guy. 

He talks about our game from 8 mins 30 seconds in - https://www.mkdons.com/news/2020/december/press-conference-russell-martins-charlton-preview/
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:

Astonished that a man of his learned demeanour is but a whipper snapper tbh...  It's taken me 57 years to get this stupid!
  • Options

That’s incredible really.

But it does show that their use of the ball is nowhere near efficient enough.

As said in the preview, don’t expect much of the ball tomorrow, but I don’t think they’ll have as much as they’d like. Watson and Shinnie, especially, will want to take more control of the game. 
  • Options

That's a bizarre stat for a team in 18th place in the 3rd tier, 1 point above the bottom 3!
  • Options
    COYR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andrew Surman is South African and Cameron Jerome still knocks about in England are two things i did not know. Thanks Sage. Jerome has always been a decent player and seems to have a surprisingly good record at MK despite his age. Cliché klaxon alert.... but at this level he is the sort of player Charlton typically struggle against. I fancy an entertaining 0-0, disappointing but not the end of the world.
    No problem at all.

Surman was born in Johannesburg, but chose to represent England, only making U21 appearances. I don’t know what age he moved to the UK, but there we go.

I hope we deal with Jerome because his experience is likely to show if we have a makeshift defensive pairing.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:

Astonished that a man of his learned demeanour is but a whipper snapper tbh...  It's taken me 57 years to get this stupid!
    :joy: Sage by name, sage by nature.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oh well as least your CL name will be easy to edit.  Just change the e for an s.
  • Options
    0-2
  • Options

Interesting to see a heat map of that
  • Options

Here's one where they had 69% possession

• Options
    MattF said:

A hell of a lot in the defensive and middle third and lots more down their left hand side too. They also very clearly play short goal kicks too, a few traps can be set here.

This example though, was before Surman signed so might be slightly different with him in the middle of the park.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    MattF said:

A hell of a lot in the defensive and middle third and lots more down their left hand side too. They also very clearly play short goal kicks too, a few traps can be set here.

This example though, was before Surman signed so might be slightly different with him in the middle of the park.
    Definitely a short passing team, the stats for the centre backs are amazing, the number of passes and completion accuracy, Keogh with 101 passes, 98 successful, but can they hurt teams?

We definitely need an energetic front line tomorrow, to harry them and force errors