Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard and our academy

13»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    This is not a knock against TS but does anyone know anything about our progress towards Cat 1? Thomas said it was progressing nicely back in November and that he could say more but I’ve not heard anything since. 
     We've had at least one more assessment since then. I think the latest was just a few weeks ago. It's not a simple process as I understand it. 
    These things are decided by the professional game board and they are meeting on Wednesday.  Could be relevant, might not be.
    Has there been any news? Given no announcements on the official site or by the FA / Game Board I presume we’re still not there. It would be great to know if we’ve been told “you just need to x, y, z” for the optimists amongst us - or that we’ve got no chance for the pessimists to stay calm and start fuelling the inevitable bonfires.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The only two articles I could find is this on the premier league no capping the amount of category one statuses 
    https://theathletic.com/3491051/2022/05/15/premier-league-wont-cap-amount-of-category-1-academies-as-birmingham-could-lose-status/?source=user_shared_article
    and another article about Valley Gold. 
    Not aware of anything more up to date (dispute the recent match reports).

Was going to ask I heard somewhere Sandgaard was considering the Brentford model (B team academy) is there any truth in this rumour?

• Options
    The only two articles I could find is this on the premier league no capping the amount of category one statuses 
    https://theathletic.com/3491051/2022/05/15/premier-league-wont-cap-amount-of-category-1-academies-as-birmingham-could-lose-status/?source=user_shared_article
    and another article about Valley Gold. 
    Not aware of anything more up to date (dispute the recent match reports).

Was going to ask I heard somewhere Sandgaard was considering the Brentford model (B team academy) is there any truth in this rumour?

Old old news he’s moved on to cutting staff snd sulking 
  • Options
    Give it a rest for god sake
  • Options
    True though isn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

“It”, you mean the truth, would you prefer I make something up that pleases you?
    sorry it’s not palatable but it will obviously horrify you to know what’s happening, be my guest have a look.
  • Options
    You may want to have a look at the money spent on the Academy over the last 12 months .Maybe thats not palatable
  • Options
    You may want to have a look at the money spent on the Academy over the last 12 months .Maybe thats not palatable
    Over half a million. 350k loan from a Third Party and 161k donation from Valley Gold 
  • Options
    Nothing to do with how much has been spent in the past, talking about now, and it looks like there won’t be another penny spent now the cat 1 bid failed, which wasn’t ever going to happen as your mate refused to employ the required number of staff.
    Bon appetite.
  • Options
    Grow up.I Dont have a mate who refused to employ the required number of staff.Have a good day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    It does seem that we were going for Cat 1 based on what we thought the academy should look like rather than what the set down rules are. I mean the number of staff employed is surely a fundamental requirement. Rightly or wrongly.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The decision to not get Cat 1 status was NOT just down to staffing and / or facilities.

all the noises from the people assessing were good ones.

a big issue is the fact we are in the 3rd tier and no club has been awarded Car 1 in the 3rd tier - despite us being the 8th most productive academy in the football league apparently.

this has pissed off a lot of people at the club, and I dare say Thomas is one of them!  
    Sunderland had Cat 1 when they were relegated to League one and kept it throughout that time. It costs them 4 million a year to run that. 

Even if we had been given it a few months ago, how did Sandgaard work out how to fund it? Did he seriously think he could do it on the cheap?

• Options
    Like everything probably didn’t plan that far ahead.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:
    The decision to not get Cat 1 status was NOT just down to staffing and / or facilities.

a big issue is the fact we are in the 3rd tier and no club has been awarded Car 1 in the 3rd tier - despite us being the 8th most productive academy in the football league apparently.

this has pissed off a lot of people at the club, and I dare say Thomas is one of them!  
    Sunderland had Cat 1 when they were relegated to League one and kept it throughout that time. It costs them 4 million a year to run that. 

Even if we had been given it a few months ago, how did Sandgaard work out how to fund it? Did he seriously think he could do it on the cheap?

Correct - but they weren’t awarded it whilst in the third tier.  That’s the big difference sadly.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

Correct - but they weren’t awarded it whilst in the third tier.  That’s the big difference sadly.
    Yes I stated that at the beginning 
  • Options
    I wonder if there is money to be saved from restricting the use of bottled water ……….
  • Options
    Has anyone been given Cat 1, when they didn't own the training ground (or location of the academy)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Has anyone been given Cat 1, when they didn't own the training ground (or location of the academy)?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

If he was looking at Club funding, then given his overly optimistic financial projections, he expected more season ticket sales and matchday income. Lack of it is causing him to panic hence the gimmicks and finally the concession to reduce prices.  
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

If he was looking at Club funding, then given his overly optimistic financial projections, he expected more season ticket sales and matchday income. Lack of it is causing him to panic hence the gimmicks and finally the concession to reduce prices.  
    I think this has hit the nail on the head. I am sure he thought that it would be easy attracting money into the club through match day income and sponsorship etc 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

He told club staff the Derby game would be a sell out. Nothing is impossible in a Sandgaard wonderland. 

Back in the real world however
  • Options
    Seems a little odd considering the academy is the main springboard of TS plans for the future. Develop youngsters, play them for a season then sell for millions.
    Then again I find a lot of what TS says and does a little odd.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    swordfish said:
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

He told club staff the Derby game would be a sell out. Nothing is impossible in a Sandgaard wonderland. 

Back in the real world however
    Was he talking about the fixture at Derby ? 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    He didn't deny it though did he? He said the figure was not accurate. So, it could have been higher!