Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard and our academy

Comments

• Options
    If we sell promising youth players via reasonable offers for them....then, out of respect, fans should know exactly where that money goes.

If it gets spent on things that are important and or signing players, then that's useful.

TS may wish to keep a proportion of it himself. If it makes him happy and further motivates him to sort out the club in the correct way, then that will probably also help. 

I don't know the ins and outs on how this all works but.... he can keep a % and the rest of it can be used charltons progression?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Southbank said:
    Is the under 18 game on Charlton tv? I am out of the country otherwise would go.

@Southbank

Charlton's U18s host Barnsley in the Professional Development League 2 play-off semi-final at The Valley on Saturday afternoon and supporters can watch all of the action live on CharltonTV.

• Kick-off 2pm
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Is our academy showing any positives signs? 

Good young players displaying some potential? 

If good players come through, then we will need to play it out wisely and keep them motivated.

Sandgaurd may not sell them off easily...which is at least a positive, but the youth are likely to put in better performances if they are excited about long term career prospects and they know the world is their oyster.

We have a proven great youth academy and hopefully it will stay that way. At least use it as a positive club investment if players move on early. 

The money we make needs to be spent on the club itself. Not "breaking even".

What money are we "making"?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Dave2l said:
    Is our academy showing any positives signs? 

Good young players displaying some potential? 

If good players come through, then we will need to play it out wisely and keep them motivated.

Sandgaurd may not sell them off easily...which is at least a positive, but the youth are likely to put in better performances if they are excited about long term career prospects and they know the world is their oyster.

We have a proven great youth academy and hopefully it will stay that way. At least use it as a positive club investment if players move on early. 

The money we make needs to be spent on the club itself. Not "breaking even".

What money are we "making"?

We may bag £50million+ when arsenal decide to sign Aaron Henry 💸

I don't know, just thinking ahead and hoping the club will generate a larger proportion of revenue in the near future to boost morale and help to reduce a negative strain.

Losing £8million a year is tough to take. I don't think anyone in and around the club is happy about any of it at the moment.

People need something to look forward to increase motivation.

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    I have always thought we produce some very good footballers, my only concern if that's the correct term, would be a lot of them are not overly physical, the game has changed but I would love to see a really tough midfield general come through occasionally. 

You would think mid/late teens have the energy and attitude for that - if they want to get noticed early and prove themselves.

Rooney certainly did

Rooney was a freak at that age, hardly any teenagers will be so strong and physically developed. 
    Rooney and Cesc were both Premier league regulars at 17 and finished at 32.  Freaks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Regarding physicality, Kanu may look slight but apparently he could hold his own in training not only with Pearce but also Innes. Deceptively strong. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Good luck to the youngsters involved but I think debuts in the EFL Trophy are a false measure of success for the academy. It’s progress to the league team that matters.
     You're that guy that always provides negative feedback to someone's success.

I completed a marathon - but did you win it?

I did a skydive - but did you do it solo because tandem doesn't count?

Etc

Loads of young players don't make it.

If they leave a breathe football, they try their absolute best...and the dream suddenly ends for them, then it's probably tough to take.
    It's a shame.

Unfortunately, you either make it or you don't. 

• Options
    Good luck to the youngsters involved but I think debuts in the EFL Trophy are a false measure of success for the academy. It’s progress to the league team that matters.
    Maybe for the club/squad as a whole - but for those 10 players it's a huge achievement on a personal level and something that absolutely should be celebrated and not passed off as "just" a trophy game. 
  • Options
    The measure of success for our academy is varied. Graduating to the first team in league matches, like Jordan Cousins, is high on the list of successes, but there are other metrics of success, for example initially breaking through in a silly buggers cup, successful loans when we get a fee, players that achieve a career by coming through at Charlton, club reputational kudos that helps to recruit, and of course if there is a necessary big sale we get some money in.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Maybe for the club/squad as a whole - but for those 10 players it's a huge achievement on a personal level and something that absolutely should be celebrated and not passed off as "just" a trophy game. 
    It’s an achievement that few aspiring footballers manage and is to be applauded, but nobody believes that the purpose of the academy is limited to producing players for that competition. It is obvious that the purpose is to produce players capable of playing at EFL level or above, so that should be the benchmark of success for the academy. 

In addition, the fixtures against U21 teams are anomalous and shouldn’t be classified as first-team games at all, in my opinion. Might as well count non-league loans and first-team friendlies as include Trophy appearances.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It’s an achievement that few aspiring footballers manage and is to be applauded, but nobody believes that the purpose of the academy is limited to producing players for that competition. It is obvious that the purpose is to produce players capable of playing at EFL level or above, so that should be the benchmark of success for the academy. 

In addition, the fixtures against U21 teams are anomalous and shouldn’t be classified as first-team games at all, in my opinion. Might as well count non-league loans and first-team friendlies as include Trophy appearances.
    Who took the jam out of your doughnut?
    To progress to the first team you have to show the right attitude and commitment and obviously have the right skill set. Being successful in the junior ranks should and does spur the youngsters on to bigger and better things.
    Not every player is going to make it at Charlton but maybe the grounding and success they get at our academy will help them carve out a career somewhere else.
    To play for the first team in any game is a big step on that path. I'm sure any of the youngsters who have played in the EFL trophy would consider it an honour and for someone to basically call it meaningless is an insult to the dedication they have shown to get that far. 
    Everyone has to start somewhere and the EFL trophy is the type of competition that will hopefully give them the taste of first team football that will push them on their careers.   
    Indeed. But it isn’t the end if that journey. There will be multiple EFL Trophy debuts every season and the majority of those players will never play in the league team. But hey, let’s pretend otherwise because it makes the numbers look better. 
  • Options
    I think this season has turned you into a "so what" person Airman. I have always regarded your comments as good for finding out what really is going on, but these comments does not sound like an optimistic Charlton fan  :)
  • Options
    Surely the EFL Trophy is the best of all the competitions to play the Academy kids

Its the one that matters the least, so we can see if they're going to be good enough in a First-Team environment, before deciding whether to let them go... So a bit like todays U18 game, the result doesnt matter, evidence of progression does.

As for when they played - We primarily played our youngsters in the final game @ Leyton Orient

Against Crawley and Southampton we played most of players who'd been on the fringes of the first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely the EFL Trophy is the best of all the competitions to play the Academy kids

Its the one that matters the least, so we can see if they're going to be good enough in a First-Team environment, before deciding whether to let them go... So a bit like todays U18 game, the result doesnt matter, evidence of progression does.

As for when they played - We primarily played our youngsters in the final game @ Leyton Orient

Against Crawley and Southampton we played most of players who'd been on the fringes of the first team.
    I think the point is, and I somewhat agree with it, a player could play for our u23s against Southampton U23s and it isn't a "proper game" the same sets of players could play a week later in the pappa auto trade trophy and it suddenly is. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I think this season has turned you into a "so what" person Airman. I have always regarded your comments as good for finding out what really is going on, but these comments does not sound like an optimistic Charlton fan  :)
    Oxymoron surely. 

That’s not why any of us follow Charlton. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Who took the jam out of your doughnut?
    To progress to the first team you have to show the right attitude and commitment and obviously have the right skill set. Being successful in the junior ranks should and does spur the youngsters on to bigger and better things.
    Not every player is going to make it at Charlton but maybe the grounding and success they get at our academy will help them carve out a career somewhere else.
    To play for the first team in any game is a big step on that path. I'm sure any of the youngsters who have played in the EFL trophy would consider it an honour and for someone to basically call it meaningless is an insult to the dedication they have shown to get that far. 
    Everyone has to start somewhere and the EFL trophy is the type of competition that will hopefully give them the taste of first team football that will push them on their careers.   
    Indeed. But it isn’t the end if that journey. There will be multiple EFL Trophy debuts every season and the majority of those players will never play in the league team. But hey, let’s pretend otherwise because it makes the numbers look better. 
    I mean, it was just a tweet.
  • Options
    If its good enough for Liverpool to acknowledge their youth making debuts in the EFL Cup, then it's good enough for me.

As mentioned, it was just a tweet from Hayes, not a testimonial issued at the point of making your debut.
  • Options
    This is not a knock against TS but does anyone know anything about our progress towards Cat 1? Thomas said it was progressing nicely back in November and that he could say more but I’ve not heard anything since. 

• Options
    This is not a knock against TS but does anyone know anything about our progress towards Cat 1? Thomas said it was progressing nicely back in November and that he could say more but I’ve not heard anything since. 
     We've had at least one more assessment since then. I think the latest was just a few weeks ago. It's not a simple process as I understand it. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     We've had at least one more assessment since then. I think the latest was just a few weeks ago. It's not a simple process as I understand it. 
    These things are decided by the professional game board and they are meeting on Wednesday.  Could be relevant, might not be.
  • Options
    Who took over from Ged Roddy as the main man trying to make this happen (CAT 1)
    At first it was said that Roddy would carry on with this project but I assume the ties have been completely cut between TS and  Roddy ?
    Any one ITK ?
    Could it be Steve Avory who has become Director of the Academy with the incoming Pell in his old position ?
  • Options
    At first it was said that Roddy would carry on with this project but I assume the ties have been completely cut between TS and  Roddy ?
    Any one ITK ?
    Could it be Steve Avory who has become Director of the Academy with the incoming Pell in his old position ?
    Pell replaced the outgoing Ruth Corry
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Any one ITK ?
    Pell replaced the outgoing Ruth Corry

Pell was primarily a football coach at Cambridge but when you become head of an academy you get involved with more paper work, less coaching and meeting young players, parents and school issues etc, and that's the part that will over lap with Ruth Corry. I'm not aware that Ruth does any coaching ?
    Pell is definitely taking over from Steve Avory who becomes the Director. 
    Can @Ollywozere please educate in case I'm wrong !