Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The simple pleasures of football

Comments

• Quick free kicks where the intended recipient isn’t paying attention so the other team break away with ball.
  • Floodlights spelling C A F C 
  • A contested drop ball 
  • Pre internet phones, during a relegation battle, the buzz as news of a rival going behind filters through the crowd from the guy who listens to a transistor radio the whole game 
  • A celebrating opposing player not knowing his ‘goal’ has been ruled out long after everyone else.

remember when I was about 18 I was playing for a Sunday team out of Upper Belvedere. Went Charlton on the Saturday and the snow come down really hard. Can’t remember if Charlton got called off, or just about got away with it, but it got more and more all afternoon.

We were meant to be playing at Slade Green Railway on Sunday morning, it was clearly going to be off, so a couple of us got right on it. 

The next morning the house phone went and my mum woke me up saying it was my Sunday manager. I stumbled to the phone downstairs and incredibly he said the game was on, why have I not turned up. I apologised, said I assumed it was off, it was nice that he’d gone out the way to phone me but I’ll have to skip that week. 

“I’m only phoning you you useless shit because you’ve got the kit”

Get myself sorted and get a lift up to Slade Green. Kit delivered, got told I’d be sub. Game now running well late. We changed in a rotten old room in the pub there (that become a hostel). 

Freezing cold, feeling shit and icy pitch I run the line first half. They had a good turnout from the pub and they were giving me dogs abuse doing the flag. Plenty of banter but plenty of OTT stuff as well. 

Game not going well, manager brought me on half time. I was proper worked up, I’ll show those trippy c***s. Our manager was a very handy doorman so I had my invincible coat on. 

Scored a cracking goal and that was it, I bolted as fast as Usain Bolt towards that touchline, running in front of them flicking v-signs all along the way giving it ave that. Took ages to work out the ref had disallowed it. To say I got absolutely slaughtered for the rest of the game was an understatement. 

Great fun, loved my Sunday league days. 

(Fairly sure @JohnBoyUK would have been there).
    hahaha, they were the days lol.
  • The camera shot when the camera itself gets knocked over by the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    As the train pulls out from Euston/Kings Cross working out which of the places you're stopping at are hosting a game that day.

Then on the way back as you pull into those stations again looking out the window nervously to see if the away teams "firm" is getting on your train, or whether you'll be able to finish your crate of beer in peace!
  • I miss fans calling the opposition  'you dirty northern bastards' when the team are actually from the Midlands.

The abuse of an ex player who will invariably score shortly afterwards. I've always been impressed by how much hatred certain fans can generate towards ex players. Better than a panto.

Going to the Valley with my daughter who I have barely seen since March due to covid. I would give anything to be back there. 
  • Hearing E I E I E I O sung properly with the last line 'we are Charlton, we are Charlton, Bowyer is our king'
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Outfield player in goal is surely the greatest moment one can witness at a game? The fear in their eyes as they put on the keepers shirt and gloves is a glorious site to behold.
    An outfield player doing well in goal is brilliant too.
    Has that happened before?! I can only recall Kyle Walker and Harry Kane in recent years
     Steve Brown a bit further back. 
    Steve Gritt, even further back.
    Brian Kinsey even further back. A 3-3 draw with QPR which had Rodney Marsh in there line up.
  • A player getting hit in the nuts. 

Funny for 21 people on the pitch.
    Even better if it is a freezing cold day accompanied with a freezing cold sponge!
  • I miss fans calling the opposition  'you dirty northern bastards' when the team are actually from the Midlands.

Always used to enjoy singing that to Watford!
  • The high of a 16,000/1 sure fire £1 accumulator put on after a few beers before a match....
  • Charlton winning and our two 'friends' losing.
  • Groundhopping a new ground, visiting a different town.
    Coming back home p*****.
  • When our player is put through one on one, still got a fair way to run but only the keeper to beat. That excitement/dread. Love it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Waiting for the train at London Bridge, only for a group of loud away fans to join the platform. Always gets the adrenalin going
  • The major late signing that's paraded before the game/half time. Di Canio-esque
  • When our player is put through one on one, still got a fair way to run but only the keeper to beat. That excitement/dread. Love it. 
    Alan Pardew v Southend on East Stand opening day was a really good one of those.

I also liked Karlan Grant v whoever it was, when their goalie was up for a corner.....great way to end the game! 
  • edited November 2020
    Simonsen said:
    When our player is put through one on one, still got a fair way to run but only the keeper to beat. That excitement/dread. Love it. 
    Alan Pardew v Southend on East Stand opening day was a really good one of those.

I also liked Karlan Grant v whoever it was, when their goalie was up for a corner.....great way to end the game! 
    That Pardew one got messy before he scored, didn't it? Atmosphere that day was immense. 

Also Kim Grant at Old Trafford. Didn't score but the outcome gave us about 20 minutes of belief. 
  • edited November 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Simonsen said:
    When our player is put through one on one, still got a fair way to run but only the keeper to beat. That excitement/dread. Love it. 

That Pardew one got messy before he scored, didn't it? Atmosphere that day was immense. 

Also Kim Grant at Old Trafford. Didn't score but the outcome gave us about 20 minutes of belief. 
    Yes, 3-0 up....3-3 and then an 89th minute winner. All the goals in the 2nd half. 
  • Simonsen said:

Bristol Rovers
  • Hojbjerg last night reminded me of another one for this thread - clearly injured players being in a strop they can't come back on.

Bonus points for a lot of blood or, like Gary Mabbutt years ago, a clearly broken bone.
  • edited January 2021
    Reading the programme and actually finding out some new information. Long gone now in t'internet age. 
  • Talal said:
    Reading the programme and actually finding out some new information. Long gone now in t'internet age. 
    One of the reasons I haven't bought a programme in about 8 years
  • MrOneLung said:
    Pre internet phones, during a relegation battle, the buzz as news of a rival going behind filters through the crowd from the guy who listens to a transistor radio the whole game 
    The one year in the late nineties when we reached the playoffs and millwall went down was one of my favourite ever games.