Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The simple pleasures of football

Comments

• A fan heading the ball back onto the pitch rather than catching it.

Bonus points for the geezer at a pre-season friendly at a non league ground a few years ago who tried to do it and accidentally flicked it over the fence behind him and out the ground 
  • Park View Road specific one:

The ball going out of the ground at the main road end of the ground and hitting a bus stopped at the bus stop.
  • Applauding an opponent who's an England player and just scored or played well in a recent big international game.
    Got a vague memory of crowd singing England’s number 1 to David Seaman 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Applauding an opponent who's an England player and just scored or played well in a recent big international game.
    Got a vague memory of crowd singing England’s number 1 to David Seaman 
    That reminds me:

Signing "England's number 4, 5" etc etc to a keeper who's just lost his place.
  • That Luton player that has coming running to the Covered End with his finger on his lips when they've scored against us in the last two games, only for us to score more and end up beating them (twice!!).
    Doncaster players doing this right in front of me in the covered end in the play off semi after scoring in extra time.

Ten minutes later out on penalties with one of the prematurely celebrating divs missing...his last act for Doncaster after being there for years.

Felt a bit for Marquis at the end but the other bloke who had been giving it along with the mouthy Leeds loanee was superb.

Thinking about it now, that the final was such an epic game sort of overshadows the memory and drama of the semi. 

Being on the pitch after that game and the last minute winner at Wembley is stuff of dreams

Jacko's last minute winner against QPR was bang on too.
  • A player with a rude sounding name.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Ref or Ref's Assistant falling over
  • edited November 2020
    The communal "tutting" at the first misplaced pass of the day ......
  • The big time Charlie striker missing a sitter, right in front of the Covered End. 
    A Charlton direct free  kick hitting the back of the net!
  • Singing "cheerio" to a red carded opponent as he trudges towards the tunnel.
  • Stepping off the train at an away game...

... "RED ARRRMYYYY!"
    Building on this, getting off at King's Cross or Euston and belting out "We are Charlton, we Charlton, super Charlton covered end..." 
  • The big time Charlie striker missing a sitter, right in front of the Covered End. 
    A Charlton direct free  kick hitting the back of the net!

David Whyte under the lights against Brentford. Boom!!
  • Running into a mate at a pub pre-match on an away day.

The five minutes before kick-off where anything seems possible.

Getting indignant at foul throws!

The trudge up the hill to Charlton Village for a post match pint and debrief. Then, the pint itself. Glorious.

I miss football.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

The trudge up the hill to Charlton Village for a post match pint and debrief. Then, the pint itself. Glorious.

No, that hill can fuck off - who builds a football stadium in a valley?!

I do miss the Swan, though. A great buzz with familiar faces.

Love chatting about the game before turning our attention to where we're going out that evening and trying to convince @cantersaddick to stay out past 8pm.
    It's happened at least twice.
  • Kevin Muscat being carried off the pitch with a career ending injury.
    (I wish)
  • Another blast from the past for me -

1) Having a good read of the match day programme on the train on the way home.

2) The person in front of you doing the same from a different game and you both acknowledge said fact and chat about the respective fortunes of your team today 
  • In the old days before t'internet and all the build up to a game you'll turn up to a game & read the programme/listen to the teams being read it & thinking "shit, he's good" or "didn't realise he plays for them" and worrying that we were now going to lose.
  • edited November 2020
    In the old days before t'internet and all the build up to a game you'll turn up to a game & read the programme/listen to the teams being read it & thinking "shit, he's good" or "didn't realise he plays for them" and worrying that we were now going to lose.
    Why am I not surprised, golfie...?
  • Some idiot accidentally stepping in police horse shit outside the ground.
  • Proper muddy pitches. Even better, a mad goalmouth scramble on a muddy pitch.

Catching a glimpse of the east terrace just before the train pulled in to Charlton station. Bonus if I saw the scaffolding gantry up for MOTD or the Big Match
  • edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Outfield player in goal is surely the greatest moment one can witness at a game? The fear in their eyes as they put on the keepers shirt and gloves is a glorious site to behold.
    An outfield player doing well in goal is brilliant too.
    Has that happened before?! I can only recall Kyle Walker and Harry Kane in recent years
     Steve Brown a bit further back. 
    Steve Gritt, even further back.
    John Hewie even even further back. And, what’s more he started a game in goal wearing a mauve jumper v Plymouth. I can still remember one fumble where a forward challenged him and the ball ran up one arm across his neck before he managed to re-catch it.