Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The simple pleasures of football

I'll start with:

- Goalkeepers taking penalties.
- Indirect free kicks in the box, the ones where players all line up on their own goal line.
- Referees falling over.

Comments

• Foul throws being given as foul throws.
    Never seems to happen any more apart from at Sunday League level.

Same as indirect free kicks for obstruction, can't remember the last time I saw one given.
  • edited November 2020
    Players missing an absolute sitter (as long as it's not for us!).
  • https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28260345-saturday-3pm

This book by Daniel Gray is an enjoyable read on this subject.
  • The cheer when the opposition's lippy bastard finally gets a booking for talking too much, especially if it's following the ref not awarded a pen/red against your team.
  • Outfield player in goal is surely the greatest moment one can witness at a game? The fear in their eyes as they put on the keepers shirt and gloves is a glorious site to behold.
    An outfield player doing well in goal is brilliant too.
  • Teams having to wear opponents 2nd kit (unless it's us having to wear Palace's)
  • Sponsored links:

• Outfield player in goal is surely the greatest moment one can witness at a game? The fear in their eyes as they put on the keepers shirt and gloves is a glorious site to behold.
    Has that happened before?! I can only recall Kyle Walker and Harry Kane in recent years
  • Drop balls being challenged for.
    Has that happened before?! I can only recall Kyle Walker and Harry Kane in recent years
     Steve Brown a bit further back. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Outfield player in goal is surely the greatest moment one can witness at a game? The fear in their eyes as they put on the keepers shirt and gloves is a glorious site to behold.
    Steve Gritt, even further back.
  • In my distant memory I seem to remember Steve Gritt going in goal and making a few good saves
    I remember Niall Quinn saving a penalty once I'm sure, and Steve Brown as others have said was the first example that springs to mind.
  • A mascot scoring before kick off and the crowd celebrating. 
  • https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28260345-saturday-3pm

This book by Daniel Gray is an enjoyable read on this subject.

Got this last Christmas, an excellent read. Would pick it up lots last season when my love for the game was being testing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• In my distant memory I seem to remember Steve Gritt going in goal and making a few good saves
    He did it twice, Palace away one Boxing Day and also at Coventry.
    Sadly a rarity. Too many subs allowed nowadays for that particular pleasure.
  • That Luton player that has coming running to the Covered End with his finger on his lips when they've scored against us in the last two games, only for us to score more and end up beating them (twice!!).
    He did it twice, Palace away one Boxing Day and also at Coventry.
    Steve Brown also did it a couple of times, away to Villa also at home to Wolves, I think.
  • A real blast from the past...

Streakers. 
  • Toilet rolls 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Outfield player in goal is surely the greatest moment one can witness at a game? The fear in their eyes as they put on the keepers shirt and gloves is a glorious site to behold.
    Steve Gritt, even further back.
    John Hewie even further back.

Keith Peacock's moment of history for example. Mike Rose the goalkeeper off injured, Peacock on as the first ever sub and John Hewie in goal.

Hewie even STARTED a few matches as goalkeeper a seaon or two prior.