Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bands or artists that you didn’t really appreciate when you were young but do now

124»

Comments

• edited February 2021
    ABBA.....without doubt the most talented and successful “pop music” group that has ever existed.
    Brilliant song writers too.
    I don’t have any of their albums but always enjoy hearing them from time to time.
    And finally......I defy anyone who says that haven’t tripped the light fantastic whilst at a wedding, christening or party and danced to the timeless “Dancing Queen”.
    I have never ever danced to Dancing Queen nor any other Abba song no matter how pissed or chemically enhanced I may have been. The only song I've ever liked of theirs was the cover by Blancmange of The day before you came.

They are not the most successful  pop music group that have ever existed & to say they are the most talented is down to personal opinion & taste. If you think that they are the most talented group that ever existed it comes as a surprise that you don't own any albums & only enjoy hearing them from time to time so I'm guessing that this is a wind up to entice sad old men like me to bite :-):smiley:
    I said POP MUSIC, as in very middle of the road here today gone tomorrow easy listening stuff.....much of which was rubbish. Quite a different genre to Rock Music (which is in fact my own preferred music), Soul, 

They we’re all classically trained musicians and song writers and WERE the most successful POP MUSIC group, if you don’t agree then tell me a more successful one?
    Beatles & Queen both whom I dislike but facts are fact they both sold more records than Abba making them more successful. Both are pop music but you've now added middle of the road (or was that the band you were referring to?) & easy listening ?
  • Kathleen Ferrier
  • Another vote here for the genre of power ballads. Love any kind of music that has a big sound, big guitar solo etc 

Theres a club in Camden where they just play power ballads all night long - at the Electric Ballroom.

On paper it sounds quite bizarre, playing slow-moving Celine Dion, Meat Loaf etc in a big club, but it actually works really well!
  • Debussy - absolutely outstanding.
    Dont put it on and carry on working or whatever, put on decent headphones, sit back. hit play, shut your eyes and listen, unbelievably good stuff.
  • edited November 2020
    What seems to have happened with me is I can see the merits of songs and artists that I once though too soft and corny. Boney M for example. I also like quite a lot of country, when I didn't in my youth. Love a bit of Cash,  Ghost Riders in the Sky and Ring of Fire when I am driving.

People can be a bit too precious and serious about music. My past self included. If it is good, I like music of any genre now. I heard the ultimate corn song a while back, 'Wanted' by the Dooley's and thought this is quite a catchy tune with a nice pace. Maybe that is what old age does to you. My younger self might have puked up! 
  • Greenie said:
    Debussy - absolutely outstanding.
    Dont put it on and carry on working or whatever, put on decent headphones, sit back. hit play, shut your eyes and listen, unbelievably good stuff.
    Is that the Karaoke version then? 🤪
  • I don't think you can get a lot of country and blues music when you're young but sometimes as you get older the lyrics and simple arrangements start to make sense. 
  • Two more 60's singers I ignored simply because as a kid I didn't like their material. Now I can hear their quality as singers.

Matt Munro (somebody already mentioned him I think)
    Dusty Springfield.

• Alice Cooper and TRex...probably as my sister used to love them...
  • Burt Bacharach. Has written so many great songs that I didn't appreciate when I was younger.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Hall & Oates are typical example of what I was talking about the other day. Looked at as just an 80s pop band by many, but are actually a really good band. Theres a good channel on YouTube called Live At Daryls House and he has various artists go there and they play some music. Well worth a listen -

https://youtu.be/WOE1-2Fza5Q

https://youtu.be/BzWRT-PAGQk
  • https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=FniF0kSvWGg&feature=share

Maryilan Manson is awful and a nutter but I can't get enough of this particular record.

Just hope others like it so I'm not in the freak club!
  • I think it's ok.
    I saw him at Brixton a few years ago, out of curiosity more than being a fan.
    He literally just screamed all the way through, wasn't for me.
  • That tainted love remake is and was awful. 

The video is also rather off putting.

He is definitely a unique performer though and it isn't much of a suprise he has a lot of fans.

Don't chase the dead definitely has something about it.

Did he perform it?
  • I couldn't say, they all sounded the same to me.
  • Dave2l said:
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=FniF0kSvWGg&feature=share

Maryilan Manson is awful and a nutter but I can't get enough of this particular record.

Just hope others like it so I'm not in the freak club!
    Have you seen the news regarding Marilyn Manson's horrible abuse towards the actress Evan Rachel Wood and several other women? Manson even wrote about one violent incident involving himself and his mother when he was young in his book and reading his words I was surprised such a horrible human being had made millions of money over the years instead of getting any punishment for his wrongdoings. Ugly inside and out. 
  • I've just looked into it.

The bloke is obviously simply just a piece of sh*t. 

Hopefully he will have to pay for what did and it will be soon. The law is the law. Sounds like he's ruined lives. Just scum.

• The Smiths.  Fucking love them now, thought they were whinging northern twats before

Jazz, especially Miles and Coltrane. My dad loved jazz and just didn’t get it. Tried it but thought it was shit. NOW , wow, must be an age thing

• Pulp - been binging their back catalogue recently, they have some songs with some incredible social commentary in the lyrics. When i was a teen i just thought they were weirdo posers... 
  • Sponsored links:

• I also got really into the streets just after their peak... if that counts. Mike Skinner is a genius, a lot of reverse snobbery goes on around him, but if anyone sat down and listened to his albums they'll see there was real artistry going into it - each record had a theme, or at least a creative risky direction he was going in.
  • edited February 2021
    Pulp - been binging their back catalogue recently, they have some songs with some incredible social commentary in the lyrics. When i was a teen i just thought they were weirdo posers... 
    Back in the early 2000's I read in Chinese music magazines that Blur, Oasis, Suede and Pulp were the four most famous Brit-pop bands. I then listened to many albums of these four bands and liked Pulp the most. I later discovered Richard Hawley who had played guitar for Pulp for a while and absolutely loved his music.
  • Jessie said:
    Pulp - been binging their back catalogue recently, they have some songs with some incredible social commentary in the lyrics. When i was a teen i just thought they were weirdo posers... 
    Back in the early 2000's I read in Chinese music magazines that Blur, Oasis, Suede and Pulp were the four most famous Brit-pop bands. I then listened to many albums of these four bands and liked Pulp the most. I later discovered Richard Hawley who had played guitar for Pulp for a while and absolutely loved his music.
    Pulp were an amazing band!
  • edited February 2021
    Saw Pulp quite a few times around 92-94. I’d go to see bands and they were always the support band. 
    Once at the Borderline, my mate heckled Jarvis with “Tom Jones Karaoke” to which he wittily replied something.
    Bought some singles and loved Razzmatazz. They then played The Garage, probably about when Babies was released and I took my then girlfriend and a few of her mates. 
    Got there without tickets. Sold Out.
    Maybe only saw them once live again.
  • Grateful Dead, Love, Spirit
    I'd have to go with '60s West Coast bands.  I didn't appreciate them until I was 14-ish and got the Stardust double LP (from the David Essex film of the same name) and heard White Rabbit for the first time.  It's been an ever-evolving love affair since.
  • Leonard Cohen
  • I also got really into the streets just after their peak... if that counts. Mike Skinner is a genius, a lot of reverse snobbery goes on around him, but if anyone sat down and listened to his albums they'll see there was real artistry going into it - each record had a theme, or at least a creative risky direction he was going in.
    Absolutely. Basically you can tell Skinner has had a few headaches with women and it makes a lot of his songs relatable. Don't mug yourself is practically a life lesson and will save you a lot of time 

I wouldn't say I didn't appreciate them but I recently got in to listening to Def Leppard and I think they're so good. I don't think there is a single song on Pyromania I don't like, Photograph atm is a proper sing alone in the car song haha

Another album I think is underappreciated and is Hot Fuss by the killers. Everyone knows Mr Brightside and Somebody told me but again it's another album that doesn't have a bad song I don't think. Jenny was a friend of mine and On top are proper tunes and I never really hear or heard them when Killers get a mention. Incredible bass on Jenny was a friend of mine, similar sound to The Smith's and seen that opinion shared but still what a track.

Pulp are also absolutely the nuts, my Mum's favourite band and when I was younger I hated them. She always had them on before school and I associated them with going to school. Now I'm older I love them. They just don't make music like the 70-90s now.
  • edited February 2021
    Shrew said:
    As I've listened to music both new and old, listened to friends mix tapes and playlists, experienced new music from directors I work with ( I work in dance and film industries) music continually surprises me and brings up new bands and genres. As a teenager I was pretty much stuck on prog rock anything from Quo to Floyd, Yes to Genesis, Van Halen to Rush, Roy Harper to Bob Dylan, Neil Young to Joni Mitchell .Sadly I was a bit blinkered and did not appreciate punk at the time. Thankfully friends and colleagues opened my ears and have got me to listen to new music all the time as I have grown older. I've since enjoyed Joy Division, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Bjork ,Nick Cave, Sigor Ros, Death Cab Cutie, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, Sun Kil Moon, Father John Misty to name a few. Working in film has led me to ambient music like Nils Frahm, Colleen, Max Richter and Peter Broderick. And then I have a 30 yr old son who listens to Dub, Reggae, Soul and Blues and his soulful and often joyful taste in music is a breath of fresh air from some of my more morose listening. In lockdown 1, I decided to listen to every one of Bob Dylans albums in order and again discovered more music, unexpected music.
    Bjorn !!! That is not music, it is taking the piss and claiming money. 
    I think he’s the ex-tennis player and charlton supporter, and not known for his musical talent. So I would agree with you although I’ve never heard his music. Do you mean the lady known as Bjork the musician/singer?  ;)