Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands or artists that you didn’t really appreciate when you were young but do now

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Johnny Cash ... thought he was ok but nothing special. Then about 25 years or so ago, I started listening properly. 

Such a wealth of amazing songs and a brilliant back catalogue, not to mention when he ‘re-invented’ himself with Rick Rubin. 
    The Rick Rubin recordings tuned me into Johnny Cash. Some of my favourite music and incredibly raw and powerful. 

• Options
    Queen

I didn’t appreciate them then but now I do appreciate how shite they really are.

Freddie Mercury aside obviously (who was a great singer and performer and a very interesting man)

Seriously though, I probably say a lot of early 80s electronic stuff and the New Romantics....... some great music in there.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Leonard Cohen

Gustav Mahler

Ludwig Van Beethoven 

Janet Baker 

Enrico Caruso
  • Options
    During the 80s and early 90s I was into soul and Britfunk. To be honest it is my ‘go to’ era/genre.
    I really didn’t care for 95% of other music that was about. The non-soul 5% I liked had local connections eg squeeze, culture club (particularly the Colour by Numbers album) and some new romantic stuff.
    Then in 1991 Out Of Time album was released by REM. This made me listen to their previous albums and I realised how blinkered I’d been.
    There are other groups and singles from that era, singles from groups I still don’t particularly like (some real cheesy) that i realised passed me by at the time and I now really like. 
    Deacon Blue, Style Council & The Beautiful South are the groups that spring to mind.
    There are a lot of singles with a few being Modern Love - Bowie, Sign of the times - the Belle Stars, Heartache Avenue - The Maisonettes, E=Mc2 - Big Audio Dynamite, Big Area - Then Jericho, One Better Day - Madness, My World - Secret Affair and many more.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    During the 80s and early 90s I was into soul and Britfunk. To be honest it is my ‘go to’ era/genre.
    I really didn’t care for 95% of other music that was about. The non-soul 5% I liked had local connections eg squeeze, culture club (particularly the Colour by Numbers album) and some new romantic stuff.
    Then in 1991 Out Of Time album was released by REM. This made me listen to their previous albums and I realised how blinkered I’d been.
    There are other groups and singles from that era, singles from groups I still don’t particularly like (some real cheesy) that i realised passed me by at the time and I now really like. 
    Deacon Blue, Style Council & The Beautiful South are the groups that spring to mind.
    There are a lot of singles with a few being Modern Love - Bowie, Sign of the times - the Belle Stars, Heartache Avenue - The Maisonettes, E=Mc2 - Big Audio Dynamite, Big Area - Then Jericho, One Better Day - Madness, My World - Secret Affair and many more.

A fella I know who performs as Cunning Folk plays Modern Love by Bowie as a folk song. It was never one of my favourites by Bowie, but hearing it taken apart and put back together again I realised what a great song it is. 
    Edited to add I don't think he's recorded it which is a shame
  • Options
    Another one going back to the 60's. Chris Farlowe. As a kid I just knew his "Out of Time" played constantly as a no 1 pop song. And then I forgot about him. Then around 1990 a load of us went to see a band of veteran blues guys called Box of Frogs and he guested as vocalist, and we were all blown away. Then I forgot him again, until my Czech buddy with the old rock show on Radio Jedna played Atomic Rooster live "Devil's Answer", and the vocalist started by referencing "Out of Time". I never knew Chris Farlowe played with them. It was a BBC Radio 1 recording, my buddy often digs out and plays such material and I'm listening and thinking "how could I have missed all this?"
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Leonard Cohen

Gustav Mahler

Ludwig Van Beethoven 

Janet Baker 

Enrico Caruso
    Tower Of Song, great song. First heard it on the Princes Trust Rock Gala at The Albert Hall. Great concert
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Hall & Oates

Private Eyes is an absolute banger

Wonder why they never made it that big in the UK? They were massive in America
  • Options
    rananegra said:

A fella I know who performs as Cunning Folk plays Modern Love by Bowie as a folk song. It was never one of my favourites by Bowie, but hearing it taken apart and put back together again I realised what a great song it is. 
    Edited to add I don't think he's recorded it which is a shame
    It's one of my favourite Bowie tracks.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Hall & Oates

Slightly off topic but there is an American TV series available on Youtube called 'Live from Daryls House' where Daryl Hall plays with various bands and artists including Cheap Trick, The O'Jays, Nick Lowe, Billy Ocean and many others. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jethro Tull
    I've been really enjoying Stand Up during this pandemic
  • Options
    Jethro Tull
    Prog Rock is one of the few area of music I haven't explored. Whenever I hear the phrase 'Prog Rock' I think of Bob Harris discussing concept LPs.
  • Options
    Jethro Tull
    Prog Rock is one of the few area of music I haven't explored. Whenever I hear the phrase 'Prog Rock' I think of Bob Harris discussing concept LPs.
    Tull ain’t really prog in my opinion. Folk blues rock type stuff but very very good.

im a massive prog nut. I’ve loved it since I got Selling England a and Brain Salad Surgery as a kid.  When it’s good it can’t be beaten, but some can be overblown and self indulgent (I’m looking at you Tales from topographic oceans)
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    Iron Maiden 
    Metallica
    Badly Drawn Boy

• Options
    Jethro Tull
    Tull ain’t really prog in my opinion. Folk blues rock type stuff but very very good.

im a massive prog nut. I’ve loved it since I got Selling England a and Brain Salad Surgery as a kid.  When it’s good it can’t be beaten, but some can be overblown and self indulgent (I’m looking at you Tales from topographic oceans)
    It was the pretentious nature of it that always put me off and the idea of a concept LP. I'm sure there is plenty of good music within it but I've never got over my initial view.

When I was a kid people seemed to listen to disco, punk or prog rock.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave and just about every other soul singer from the Stax and Atlantic stables.

I hated country music when I was younger but now really like a lot of it, though not the sentimental country ballads that typify the genre in some people's eyes.

I disliked reggae in my teens but by my mid-twenties and through the 1980s it was one of my most played musical styles...and still is.
  • Options
    Led Zep
    The King - Elvis
  • Options
    Another one going back to the 60's. Chris Farlowe. As a kid I just knew his "Out of Time" played constantly as a no 1 pop song. And then I forgot about him. Then around 1990 a load of us went to see a band of veteran blues guys called Box of Frogs and he guested as vocalist, and we were all blown away. Then I forgot him again, until my Czech buddy with the old rock show on Radio Jedna played Atomic Rooster live "Devil's Answer", and the vocalist started by referencing "Out of Time". I never knew Chris Farlowe played with them. It was a BBC Radio 1 recording, my buddy often digs out and plays such material and I'm listening and thinking "how could I have missed all this?"
    I saw him live at a 'Sixties Gold' type concert a couple of years ago. He still sounds good or did then.
  • Options
    Forgot to add OMD to the list 
    I Love OMD , A 40 Year Sound track for me
  • Options
    I grew up really only listening to Soul Music, from the Otis Redding and Geno Washington my dad would play through to the Loose Ends, Second Image stuff I liked when younger.

I got sidetracked by clubbing in the 90s with house music somewhat but have come back to more traditional soul again now I am in my 50s. The more mainstream band I appreciate most now but ignored when younger are The Style Council. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    I grew up really only listening to Soul Music, from the Otis Redding and Geno Washington my dad would play through to the Loose Ends, Second Image stuff I liked when younger.

I got sidetracked by clubbing in the 90s with house music somewhat but have come back to more traditional soul again now I am in my 50s. The more mainstream band I appreciate most now but ignored when younger are The Style Council. 
    remember their debut album, all wearing red jumpers on the cover if I remember correctly. Hanging On A String was a great track. One of the better Jazz Funk groups. Those were the days. Writing this has made me recall one of my favourite ever artists, Ronnie Laws. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Matt Munroe . Was not my style at 15 but he has a really good voice. 

Helen Shapiro  my age group but not for me then. However she had a voice mature beyond her years  .

Helen Shapiro lives in Elmstead Woods.

Now does gospel, which is a little strange as she's Jewish.
    What......actually in the woods or does she have a house?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    ABBA.....without doubt the most talented and successful “pop music” group that has ever existed.
    Brilliant song writers too.
    I don’t have any of their albums but always enjoy hearing them from time to time.
    And finally......I defy anyone who says that haven’t tripped the light fantastic whilst at a wedding, christening or party and danced to the timeless “Dancing Queen”.
    I have never ever danced to Dancing Queen nor any other Abba song no matter how pissed or chemically enhanced I may have been. The only song I've ever liked of theirs was the cover by Blancmange of The day before you came.

They are not the most successful  pop music group that have ever existed & to say they are the most talented is down to personal opinion & taste. If you think that they are the most talented group that ever existed it comes as a surprise that you don't own any albums & only enjoy hearing them from time to time so I'm guessing that this is a wind up to entice sad old men like me to bite :-):smiley:
    I said POP MUSIC, as in very middle of the road here today gone tomorrow easy listening stuff.....much of which was rubbish. Quite a different genre to Rock Music (which is in fact my own preferred music), Soul, 

They we’re all classically trained musicians and song writers and WERE the most successful POP MUSIC group, if you don’t agree then tell me a more successful one?
  • Options
    Housemartins / Beautiful South 
  • Options
    Genre - Power ballads
  • Options
    Glen Campbell 
  • Options
    Although not a great performer songs written by Jimmy Webb 
  • Options
    Teddy pendergrass 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Hall & Oates

I second that, some great music.
  • Options
    Jethro Tull
    I just dug out, Benefit, the first Tull album I bought.

In fact Ian Anderson is probably one of the few people I can listen to playing the flute, otherwise I really don’t like the instrument!