Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands or artists that you didn’t really appreciate when you were young but do now

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to add OMD to the list 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

You got there in the end!

(and my answer was and still is 'yes').
    My mum used to clean for her.
    My Mum taught her gymnastics at St Joseph's Convent 
  • Options
    A mate just sent me a link to Herb Alpert's Spanish Flea. I'd have laughed at it as a kid, but now I think it's great.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    A mate just sent me a link to Herb Alpert's Spanish Flea. I'd have laughed at it as a kid, but now I think it's great.
    Great name too!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

I wanted to teach her gymnastics!
  • Options
    Johnny Cash
    Cat Stevens
    Traffic
    Small Faces
    Marvin Gaye
  • Options
    Stranglers
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

She didn’t pick up any of her underwear, asking for a friend?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite a few from the blues side of early UK rock,  but above all of them, Jeff Beck. 
  • Options
    ABBA.....without doubt the most talented and successful “pop music” group that has ever existed.
    Brilliant song writers too.
    I don’t have any of their albums but always enjoy hearing them from time to time.
    And finally......I defy anyone who says that haven’t tripped the light fantastic whilst at a wedding, christening or party and danced to the timeless “Dancing Queen”.
    And funerals. That was my mum's requested song to be played at her funeral. And it was. :)

• Options
    ABBA.....without doubt the most talented and successful “pop music” group that has ever existed.
    Brilliant song writers too.
    I don’t have any of their albums but always enjoy hearing them from time to time.
    And finally......I defy anyone who says that haven’t tripped the light fantastic whilst at a wedding, christening or party and danced to the timeless “Dancing Queen”.
    I have never ever danced to Dancing Queen nor any other Abba song no matter how pissed or chemically enhanced I may have been. The only song I've ever liked of theirs was the cover by Blancmange of The day before you came.

They are not the most successful  pop music group that have ever existed & to say they are the most talented is down to personal opinion & taste. If you think that they are the most talented group that ever existed it comes as a surprise that you don't own any albums & only enjoy hearing them from time to time so I'm guessing that this is a wind up to entice sad old men like me to bite :-):smiley:
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

I'm beginning to feel left out everyone seems to have a Kate Bush story but me :-(
  • Options
    My next door neighbour was Kate Bush's dad's window cleaner.
    IIRC he was a doctor.
  • Options
    Her Dad was my first GP, lived in a big house off Upper Wickham Lane, treated my Great Uncle even after he'd retired from his practice,which he had in Plumstead for years 
  • Options
    Her Dad was my first GP, lived in a big house off Upper Wickham Lane, treated my Great Uncle even after he'd retired from his practice,which he had in Plumstead for years 
    He was my doctor when I was a kid.. 
  • Options
    Frank Zappa
    Never ‘got’ him at the time but now listen and watch his gigs on youtube all the time.
    He was a musical genius.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

I'm beginning to feel left out everyone seems to have a Kate Bush story but me :-(
    Friend's older brother had a flat in Blackheath in the late 70s and from time to time held large parties. As young men of a certain age we were very excited to hear that Kate Bush had been to the previous one and was due to attend the next one.

Twisted his arm for an invite ............ she didn't go
  • Options
    He was my doctor when I was a kid.. 
    mine too . He had a surgery in Bathe rd in Plumstead 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frank Zappa
    Never ‘got’ him at the time but now listen and watch his gigs on youtube all the time.
    He was a musical genius.
    My old boss was a big fan, he did me a tape of his more satirical stuff like the muffin man, jesus thinks you're a jerk, Bobby Brown etc. It was a great listen, I'm forever thinking what Zappa would have made of Trump if he was still about.
  • Options
    My next door neighbour was Kate Bush's dad's window cleaner.
    IIRC he was a doctor.
    My nan always used to tell me that Kate Bush's dad was her doctor. 
  • Options
    Nothing to do with Kate Bush or music but as a youngish man I had a GP, Doctor Blood. Funnily enough years later I ended up working with his daughter.
  • Options
    When I was in my teens I listened to pop music then the sort of stuff John Peel used to play, so I have a soft spot for early 80s pop, post punk, jangly indie, reggae and ska and guitar based African music (think Bhundu Boys and Indestructible Beat of Soweto). There are other things I've got into since then that I didn't really come across in those times so they don't fit the question, like folk, bluegrass or classical. 
    The thing I never got when younger was jazz. It's been creeping up on me for about the last decade. Prior to that the only arguably jazz records I had were a Jimmy Witherspoon collection and a Nina Simone one and I just told myself it was blues. 
    In lockdown, I've been listening a lot to Mulatu Astatke, an Ethiopian jazz musician and I love it. I'd heard this sort of stuff before at festivals and it hadn't really connected but for some reason it does now. 
    I still haven't "got" the weird screechy saxophone kind of jazz though and I'm not sure I ever will. 

If it helps I like Kate Bush too, but don't have any anecdotes
  • Options
    Johnny Cash ... thought he was ok but nothing special. Then about 25 years or so ago, I started listening properly. 

Such a wealth of amazing songs and a brilliant back catalogue, not to mention when he ‘re-invented’ himself with Rick Rubin. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    When I was in my teens I listened to pop music then the sort of stuff John Peel used to play, so I have a soft spot for early 80s pop, post punk, jangly indie, reggae and ska and guitar based African music (think Bhundu Boys and Indestructible Beat of Soweto). There are other things I've got into since then that I didn't really come across in those times so they don't fit the question, like folk, bluegrass or classical. 
    The thing I never got when younger was jazz. It's been creeping up on me for about the last decade. Prior to that the only arguably jazz records I had were a Jimmy Witherspoon collection and a Nina Simone one and I just told myself it was blues. 
    In lockdown, I've been listening a lot to Mulatu Astatke, an Ethiopian jazz musician and I love it. I'd heard this sort of stuff before at festivals and it hadn't really connected but for some reason it does now. 
    I still haven't "got" the weird screechy saxophone kind of jazz though and I'm not sure I ever will. 

I’ve discovered. Ethiopian music recently too, I’m enjoying the ‘mistakes on purpose’ album by Girma Beyene @ Akalewube.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Just had a quick listen to some of Mulatu's music - very impressed 
  • Options
    For me it’s not so much groups that I’m starting to appreciate, but musical genres as a whole. Genres I missed out on/didn’t appreciate/was too young/old for.

Prog rock
    punk
    northern soul
    easy listening of the 50s, 60s and 70s

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Kate Bush. 

My mum used to live on the same street as Kate Bush and Billy Idol (sorry!)