Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Likely Are You To Take The Covid Vaccine?

Comments

• Options
    100% from me.
  • Options
    Thank you Ewell do: 
    'Pork gelatin and egg protein and the only animal derivatives used in vaccines that I know of but we probably won't know for the Pfizer one for a while due to the risk of imitation.'
    It does beg the question why have pork gelatin in the mix? I thought they made jelly with that.
    I truly think that the scientists should be open about what's in their vaccines: Pfizer prizes are surely irrelevant at this time? 

• Options
    Thank you Ewell do: 
    'Pork gelatin and egg protein and the only animal derivatives used in vaccines that I know of but we probably won't know for the Pfizer one for a while due to the risk of imitation.'
    It does beg the question why have pork gelatin in the mix? I thought they made jelly with that.
    I truly think that the scientists should be open about what's in their vaccines: Pfizer prizes are surely irrelevant at this time? 

Why are you bothered? 
  • Options
    I'll take it, like I take all the other meds I take on a daily basis, but I definitely don't lump people that are concerned about this particular vaccine into the flat earth brigade.
    The biggest advance in medicine in terms of lives saved in the last two hundred years have been vaccines - millions of deaths have been avoided. My concern is the idiocy and selfishness of a lot of anti-vaxxers who don't even have any evidence to base their views on.

I'm sure plenty of people have concerns but there is information out there. If you choose to source your info on anecdotes from Facebook you won't get very far. 

Not quite sure why you've quoted me. I'm happy to take it without any research or information, but can understand people being concerned, given the relatively short trial period. And I definitely wouldn't label them anything, or accuse them of only sourcing their info from social media.

Vaccine and virus aside, reckon that kind of vitrio towards people who have different opinions and concerns, is one of the biggest threats to society today. 

It depends on what the consequences of their views are obviously. The growth of conspiracy theories and misinformation on the internet is a major concern - that for me is a huge threat to society.

• Options
    Thank you Ewell do: 

All excipients used in medicinal formulation must appear on the drug label. Btw gelatin is broken down into short chain protein and used as a stabiliser for certain drugs, in particular live vaccines, which the Pfizer vaccine isn't. 
  • Options
    From what can dig up, the ingredients are listed here:

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=908ecbe7-2f1b-42dd-94bf-f917ec3c5af8&version=1

so there's the RNA, there's some lipid (to make the liposomes in which the RNA is enveloped) and salts and sugar. 

This is just the Pfizer vaccine, lots of others undergoing trials which have a variety of formulations and types.
  • Options

BREAKING: Moderna coronavirus vaccine found to be 94.5% effective
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    It's been a constant struggle between mankind and nature since time immemorial. From cradle to the grave we are trying to stay one step ahead of the myriad of Viruses and nasties that want to shorten our lives. 
    Vaccines and Anti biotics/drugs have cured so many diseases including the shocking killer of many young people tuberculosis. TB/Consumption only started to be eradicated after the BCG vaccine, first used in 1921 in France and the work of  Waksman and his team in 1944 when they came up with an antibiotic. Another 10 years before thousands of British School kids started being vaccinated. In other western countries it was a similar time scale.

Viruses need hosts; it our duty for the common good to have the vaccine.
  • Options
    If it means I can get back to working from the office sooner, I'll take all the doses of the vaccine. Every last one... 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I genuinely hope the vaccine is vegan.
    Laugh and mock if you want, but nevertheless it is my hope.

Would you genuinely not have the vaccine because of your animal rights beliefs and risk catching the virus and infecting your loved ones?

The pork gelatin will cause issue with the Jewish and Muslim population as well I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

Would you genuinely not have the vaccine because of your animal rights beliefs and risk catching the virus and infecting your loved ones?

The pork gelatin will cause issue with the Jewish and Muslim population as well I'd have thought.
    No, it's OK if the pig was circumcised.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Would you still take it if it wasn't vegan, Seth?
    Genuine question.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

No, it's OK if the pig was circumcised.
    That’s actually what they use for pork scratchings 
  • Options
    Had an Anti-Vaxer/Masker shove his face into mine and Mrs UTB at Eltham Station, and start gobbing off about the BBC and the Govt being behind a national "reset". 
    He also said i would contract Legionella disease. He got a good old fashioned Eltham "F*@k Off"
    He then went on to say COVID 19 was a hoax, i then invited him to volunteer at any COVID ward if it was just a flu. Didn't seem keen to take that offer up.  And like most of these ill informed people they keep there children "off school, just in case".

As for the vaccine, absof*@Kinhglutely,,will take my turn in the queue, get back to normal, and get back down THE VALLEY. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wouldn’t mock you seth. I will say that having a vegan vaccine will have not even registered on the list for those working on it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:

It is my hope.
    I would not be a refusnik if there was no alternative.
  • Options
    You ain't got to eat it mate
  • Options
    .....the very fact that it has been tested on animals must make it non vegan, regardless of the pork and egg extracts going into it, no?
  • Options

Why porcine gelatine is used in vaccines

Gelatine is used in a very wide range of medicines, including many capsules and some vaccines. Porcine gelatine is used in vaccines as a stabiliser. This is to ensure that the vaccine remains safe and effective during storage. Vaccine manufacturers normally test a wide range of stabilisers and choose one that is stable, good quality and available in sufficient volume. Unlike the gelatine used in foods, the product used in vaccines is highly purified and broken down into very small molecules called peptides.

I would imagine many people, whether Vegan, vegetarian, Jewish or Muslim have been taking tablets for years that have porcine gelatine.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Voted quite likely as it all depends on if a vaccine gets past the phase 3 stage. If any does then absolutely I would. We're still at a stage now that we don't really know if its safe or how effective, all the signs are positive though and if any of them get approved then I'd change my answer to very likely. 
    I wonder if we'll have to sign a disclaimer?
  • Options
    At 75 with emphysemawhat choice do I have
  • Options

Why porcine gelatine is used in vaccines

Gelatine is used in a very wide range of medicines, including many capsules and some vaccines. Porcine gelatine is used in vaccines as a stabiliser. This is to ensure that the vaccine remains safe and effective during storage. Vaccine manufacturers normally test a wide range of stabilisers and choose one that is stable, good quality and available in sufficient volume. Unlike the gelatine used in foods, the product used in vaccines is highly purified and broken down into very small molecules called peptides.

I would imagine many people, whether Vegan, vegetarian, Jewish or Muslim have been taking tablets for years that have porcine gelatine.

Many unknowingly.