Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Likely Are You To Take The Covid Vaccine?

Comments

• Options
    Has anybody seen anything from Pfizer or Astra zeneca to say irrespective of its efficacy IF you still caught covid you would have milder symptons? As someone on the vulnerable list this is quiet important to know. Thanks

• Options
    iainment said:
    I am definitely going to go with the Oxford vaccine because it seems to be being suggested it’s more successful for the elderly. Plus it’s being produced here in The UK, so logically should be readily available going forward.
    Another thing I have been trying to ascertain is whether or not you will be able to change vaccine brands later down the line if for example they come up with one that’s 100% (or as near as damn it), successful.
    From what I understand you can’t pick which vaccine you want. It depends on what is available when your turn comes up.
    At present there is only one vaccine. You’re right though, initially at least the vaccine will be given on availability. The Oxford AZ vaccine will be given to the majority of people because we have purchased most of that and it’s relatively easy storage and transport capabilities. Later in the process when there is more data perhaps next winter if and when booster vaccinations are required it might be possible to target specific groups with a specific vaccine based on data showing what vaccines worked best for particular groups eg age, ethnicity etc. 
    I think they do that with the 'flu vaccine don't they? I seem to remember my husband being given a different vaccine from me as he is over 65.
  • Options
    I am definitely going to go with the Oxford vaccine because it seems to be being suggested it’s more successful for the elderly. Plus it’s being produced here in The UK, so logically should be readily available going forward.
    Another thing I have been trying to ascertain is whether or not you will be able to change vaccine brands later down the line if for example they come up with one that’s 100% (or as near as damn it), successful.
    Yes you could have a Pfizer this year and an Oxford when next required.
  • Options
    Not sure where you heard that - there are some doubts over the testing of the oxford one particularly in older groups which is why it hasn't been approved yet, they still have more to do. At the moment the Oxford vaccine whilst looking like it will be more effective than your average vaccine will still be a fair chunk less effective than the Pfizer one.
    I thought the Oxford vaccine had done no testing on the over 60's or people of let's say near/retirement age.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Not sure where you heard that - there are some doubts over the testing of the oxford one particularly in older groups which is why it hasn't been approved yet, they still have more to do. At the moment the Oxford vaccine whilst looking like it will be more effective than your average vaccine will still be a fair chunk less effective than the Pfizer one.
    I thought the Oxford vaccine had done no testing on the over 60's or people of let's say near/retirement age.
    Oh yes they have but there was something that wasn’t quite right/satisfactory with the numbers of over 60’s they included (or similar), which skewed the results, it’s being addressed as we speak.
    I understand the tests that they did carry out on said age groups were fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I doubt you will get the choice, or even be told what one you get.

my choice would be the Oxford one too, but I’ll gladly take whatever they stick in me.
  • Options
    The vaccine, any vaccine cannot stop you “catching” a virus. The purpose is to “prime” you immune system to recognise the antigen (the virus) and let your body’s natural defence system deal with the invader. Having the vaccine will enable your body to recognise and deal with the virus quickly and therefore stop its reproduction within your body therefore minimising its impact. In effect stopping you becoming very ill. It’s quite possible that some people might have mild symptoms. 
    How long will the vaccine give you protection for? 
  • Options
    Really......that’s news to me?
    Your final sentence that is.
    Its been very widely reported @SoundAsa£

Pfizer vaccine efficacy rate ~95%
    https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

Oxford vaccine - 62% 70% or 90% depending on how it was delivered and different testing circumstances. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/08/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-has-70-efficacy-full-trial-data-shows

As I said the Oxford testing isn't complete so we won't know until its complete. There are still some gaps in their testing and question marks over a couple of things. Its unlikely to go up though. So Pfizer is more effective. That's why they want the vulnerable to have this one. Not just because it is first but because it is (at least at this stage) looking likely to be the best. 

Ultimately you won't get a choice. You'll get the letter and you either get it or you don't. There isn't going to be an option to switch vaccine.
  • Options
    Has anybody seen anything from Pfizer or Astra zeneca to say irrespective of its efficacy IF you still caught covid you would have milder symptons? As someone on the vulnerable list this is quiet important to know. Thanks

The NHS letter when you get the vaccine says exactly this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

Oxford vaccine - 62% 70% or 90% depending on how it was delivered and different testing circumstances. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/08/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-has-70-efficacy-full-trial-data-shows

As I said the Oxford testing isn't complete so we won't know until its complete. There are still some gaps in their testing and question marks over a couple of things. Its unlikely to go up though. So Pfizer is more effective. That's why they want the vulnerable to have this one. Not just because it is first but because it is (at least at this stage) looking likely to be the best. 

Ultimately you won't get a choice. You'll get the letter and you either get it or you don't. There isn't going to be an option to switch vaccine.
    I'm assuming certain vaccines may be unsuitable for those with particular health conditions.
  • Options

I'm assuming certain vaccines may be unsuitable for those with particular health conditions.
    Unlikely to differ much between different vaccines. If you have a condition that means you shouldn't have a vaccine its likely to apply to most/all vaccines.
  • Options
    The vaccine, any vaccine cannot stop you “catching” a virus. The purpose is to “prime” you immune system to recognise the antigen (the virus) and let your body’s natural defence system deal with the invader. Having the vaccine will enable your body to recognise and deal with the virus quickly and therefore stop its reproduction within your body therefore minimising its impact. In effect stopping you becoming very ill. It’s quite possible that some people might have mild symptoms. 
    Nobody really knows. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    My guess is that it will vary from person to person, just like the extraordinary difference there has been in antibodies being retained from one person to another.
    It’s yet another wait and see aspect of this foul virus.....at every stage it seems to be trial and error, swing and hope.
    These vaccines will work, I am confident of that, but how will we know how long it will be before we (as separate individuals), need a booster......and how will that be monitored?
  • Options
    My guess is that it will vary from person to person, just like the extraordinary difference there has been in antibodies being retained from one person to another.
    It’s yet another wait and see aspect of this foul virus.....at every stage it seems to be trial and error, swing and hope.
    These vaccines will work, I am confident of that, but how will we know how long it will be before we (as separate individuals), need a booster......and how will that be monitored?
    I suspect that until data provides evidence to the contrary we will be getting yearly vaccinations 
  • Options

The NHS letter when you get the vaccine says exactly this.
    Thanks Canters... Really appreciate this. 
  • Options
    SouthWest_Addicks said: Ignirance her. If you are young and healthy you are less likely to get CIVID? Is this proven, or is it that you are less likely to die from it?
    Stig said:
    Redrobo said:
    Have the vaccine, get back to the Valley
    One does wonder if having the vaccine will result in some advantages in society. Plane travel, attending large events, small events (like Millwall away), hotels etc.

Not sure how well that would go down.
    I really do hope that (in the early days at least) vaccination is officially sanctioned as a passport to a freer way of life. I suspect it won't be though and like the situation with easy-breathing mask abstainers, we'll be told we can't discriminate against the feckless and the selfish. 

On a positive note, I'm really pleased to see such a positive response to vaccination on here. If that's replicated across the wider population, we have a reasonable chance of beating the virus. 
    I’ll be at the bottom of the list because I’m young and healthy. Got to be about tens of millions of people who would be vaccinated before someone like me. I would argue that being selfish would putting me at the top of list, so I can go back to watching Charlton etc. 

• Options
    I suspect that until data provides evidence to the contrary we will be getting yearly vaccinations 
    I suspect that if it can be it will be combined with the flu jab.
  • Options
    So now that they’re mucking about with the timing of the second vaccination my doubts about the effectiveness of the vaccine have gone way back up.
    Why on earth change the recommendation from the manufacturer?
    Couldn’t possibly be a political decision could it? Surely not with so many lives depending on this being done right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    100% getting it
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    How many are they expecting to vaccine ? Personally, if they get more than 50% of the population il be shocked.. especially if they keep fannying around with the plans 
  • Options
    100% taking it.
    0% confidence that this regime will make it a smooth and timely process.
  • Options
    Might get a chance to try them all! 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Prepare to be shocked. 
    Happily! 

Approx 20% of the population are 16 or younger so remove them for a start, then pregnant women and those breastfeeding, then those that are concerned about effects before being pregnant and also the dickheads...maybe a 60% of the population is more likely it. 
  • Options
    Will be 70 this month so yes, both my wife and I will be having the jab. Am I worried about 'long term' effects? Do me a favour. If it means we can return to some kind of normality then great.
  • Options
    2nd jab due next Friday. 
    I don't think you'll be getting a second jab now.
  • Options
    I will definitely be having the vaccine, but all the mixed messages now coming out will not help with the take up .  We need to have a united front from all those in charge. Public Health England are now saying that two different vaccines should not be mixed.