Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Injured players -2020 - 2021 Season

Comments

• Interesting post's on here yesterday by sage regarding injuries.
    Now, I fully agree with his comments about posts criticising  or blaming injuries on  L.B.'s intensity of training as daft (or words to that effect).
    I've never witnessed one of the clubs training sessions or have sage's knowledge of the medical support at Charlton.  
    So today.
    I was browsing the air waves and caught a conversation with former Norwich city footballer Mark Rivers and Andy Goreham previewing the Rotherham v Norwich game.
    They were both moaning about the Norwich City's injury list which has plagued them though last seasons prem campaign and is a current problem.
    Part of the discussion could have implications for Charlton.
    Apparently after selling Godfrey to Everton for megga bucks and loaning Famewo to us, they find themselves with just three centre backs and one of those is apparently injured.
    The manager tried to sign a replacement yesterday  but drew a blank, quoting financial reasons for the lack of activity. (surprising since the money they got for Godfrey and Lewis).
    I digress.
    Mark Rivers was moaning about modern day players injuries.
    He said he was never injured in his career (don't think he was that good anyway)
    In fact he said, "if you look back, players didn't get injured in the quantities that happen today".   
    He was surprised that with all the technology, the sports scientist, the dieticians and all the paraphernalia surrounding the modern game, that so many footballers get inured so often. 
    He laughing talked of consuming large quantities of ale after training sessions. 
    Now I don't necessarily agree with his argument but (and its a large butt) he's got a point.
    Maybe today footballers are more athletic and the game is played at a greater pace than years ago. 
    He also suggested that footballers should be allowed to follow training programs which suits their needs, something that Page mentioned in his interview that has has kept him playing this season.   

When I was young I had a balsa wood aeroplane that flew under the power of an elastic band. The tighter the band was wound, the further and faster the plane would fly. The tighter the band was wound, the greater the chances of snapping it or stretching the guts out of it. Players are like elastic bands.
  • Maddison can’t be that injured - he posted an Instagram story of him climbing 8 flights of stairs to his flat this evening. 
    Sounds like he’s living the high life.

• Bowyer “Johnny’s (Williams) got a bit of a knock”
  • Dazzler21 said:
    So two out of four new players injured already.
    This reads that we only signed 4 new players.

2 of the 4 injured players are from the 11 new players
    Two out of the four injured players are new ones...

• Bowyer “Johnny’s (Williams) got a bit of a knock”
    From being squashed by the Welsh players after he scored?
  • So how many are we up to now?
  • So how many are we up to now?
    Including Chuks that's 5 I think, but we'll know more when the line up is revealed tomorrow
  • From the Doughty thread, it looks like we can add him as well...
  • edited October 2020
    Haven't bothered adding to the spready as it's on my computer in the office and I haven't worked since Friday.

I think it's:

Maddison - Ready to return
    Pearce - Nearly there 1-2 weeks (assumed)
    Oshilaja - Nearly there 1-2 weeks (assumed)
    Gilbey - probably 4 weeks
    Aneke - Unknown 
    Doughty - Unknown

This has the official suggested returns, not sure why I put unknown on oshilaja?!:

• Is Gilbey that far off? - Bowyer mentioned the boot is off now and just needs to rebuild muscle which of course isnt going happen quickly

Four weeks is still a bit excessive

Aneke too is only a concern if we dont see him in Saturdays line up

Got the impression that Bowyer was hinting that Chuks would be back for Portsmouth rather than Oxford
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Haven't bothered adding to the spready as it's on my computer in the office and I haven't worked since Friday.

I think it's:

Maddison - Ready to return
    Pearce - Nearly there 1-2 weeks (assumed)
    Oshilaja - Nearly there 1-2 weeks (assumed)
    Gilbey - probably 4 weeks
    Aneke - Unknown 
    Doughty - Unknown
    Isn’t Aneke meant to be due back by the weekend?

Also Gilbeys injury had healed last week apparently and he was barely in the boot for 3-4 weeks..... and he has been out of it for 1 already so another 4 seems a bit steep. Would hope he could be on the bench in 2-3 weeks max
  • Is Gilbey that far off? - Bowyer mentioned the boot is off now and just needs to rebuild muscle which of course isnt going happen quickly

Got the impression that Bowyer was hinting that Chuks would be back for Portsmouth rather than Oxford
    The update on the 25th September was "Alex Gilbey going to be in a boot for four weeks."
    "It depends how he goes after that. He's going to be a while - a minimum of four weeks."

Can't remember when he came out of the boot but I got the impression he was ahead of schedule 

Gilbey was in training today (light) apparantly and should be ready in around 2 weeks to be on the bench. Maybe a few minutes off the bench in the checkatrade on 10th Nov isn't unreasonable.
  • Thought I'd chuck this out there again.

Injury list updated.

Moved Maddison out of injured list and updated exp return for Aneke. 

Anyone able to provide other player numbers? Can't find the numbers the kids have had in wooden cup trophy thing games.

Think I need to update a few contracts too. 

Cheers
  • Seems Aoucharia injured again but no details yet
  • Seems Aoucharia injured again but no details yet
    Oh no, that'd be a massive shame. 
  • edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    So two out of four new players injured already.
    This reads that we only signed 4 new players.

2 of the 4 injured players are from the 11 new players
    Two out of the four injured players are new ones...
    Can you put up the Venn diagram?
  • Henry is 50 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Henry is 50 
    Could have sworn Irving was at least in his 70's. ;)

Thanks will update.
  • edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thought I'd chuck this out there again.

Injury list updated.

Moved Maddison out of injured list and updated exp return for Aneke. 

Anyone able to provide other player numbers? Can't find the numbers the kids have had in wooden cup trophy thing games.

Think I need to update a few contracts too. 

Cheers
    Do you have a drop down list to select from for Aneke’s injuries?
    There's another tab (or maybe Page should be the term) for just Williams' and Aneke's injuries. Just kidding there is a detailed injury tab though...
  • Pearce is ten days away
    Oshilaja is two weeks and Gilbey three weeks
  • edited October 2020
    I don't think that today's modern football slippers help.
    The top of them is as soft as a baby's nappy and on the bottom are studs. That makes no sense. When I'm choosing a pair, I'm constantly tutting and shaking my head like an old bugger.
    They offer no foot or ankle protection whatsoever, and possibly are responsible for injuries further up the leg - possibly - who knows - I'm not a physio or sports scientist.

• edited October 2020
    I don't think that today's modern football slippers help.
    The top of them is as soft as a baby's nappy and on the bottom are studs. That makes no sense. When I'm choosing a pair, I'm constantly tutting and shaking my head like an old bugger.
    They offer no foot or ankle protection whatsoever, and possibly are responsible for injuries further up the leg - possibly - who knows - I'm not a physio or sports scientist.
    I'd actually agree with this and take it a step further, with most running shoes the entire shoe is easily bendable and has support in specific areas (barefoot shoes are the exception). 

Imagine you keep your fitness up by running in comfortable, sensible running shoes then on performance where stress is maximised, you chuck on football boots with a flat, solid base that ONLY flexes a bit at the toes? Pure madness. I have insoles in my footy boots and go half a size up to accommodate them and it definitely has helped. 

With regards the upper there's definitely more metatarsal injuries as a result of the knitted boots, but the number isn't astronomically different. 
  • edited October 2020
    Updated dates - Missed games = not in squad for league games. 

Alfie could be back for Rochdale (2nd fixture) or Gills (2nd fixture) at the earliest given bows comments. Alfie's own comment seems more positive.
  • 10th November for Pearce...

Bowyer said today as well that he'd like to give him some minutes in the EFL Trophy game against Leyton Orient
  • 10th November for Pearce...

Bowyer said today as well that he'd like to give him some minutes in the EFL Trophy game against Leyton Orient
    Yeah Bowyer did say that, but like Bowyer, I'm treating EFL Trophy as a training game and the official return as the league game.
  • I don't think that today's modern football slippers help.

Blimey......at last something we agree on. Football boots are far too lightweight imo & no way could I play in any of these modern boots.
  • The table states Alfie is out for 4 months with a hamstring strain. A tear might sound more accurate here ;) I know the focus was on dates and games. Excellent table.