Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Project "Big Picture" - "Big" Clubs Plan Overhaul of English Football

Comments

• edited October 2020
    There were rumours not so long ago that the 'big 6' were very much against the Saudi backed takeover of Newcastle. Whether that was because they were simply shitting it at Newcastle gatecrashing their party, or whether it was for any other reason, in light of todays news i'm now absolutely certain those rumours were true.

How can you give the power of the league to 6 or 9 clubs. What gives Man City or Spurs the right to veto a takeover at (for example) Leicester. It's madness.

The 250m 'giveaway' for the EFL isn't even that either (not that we expected the PL to give money away). It's dressed up as a great deal for the EFL to try and get this passed, but the Premier league would not actually be giving away anything. The 250m would simply be the share of tv money from the 2 clubs who will no longer be in the league once it's reduced to 18 clubs. 

I don't see how this would all get signed off anyway, because as far as i'm aware for any rule changes, a minimum 14 PL clubs would need to vote in favour. There's surely no way they're going to vote in favour of a deal that would a) give all the power to the big 6 and b) mean two of the smaller clubs kissing goodbye to the league. For clubs like Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley, Sheff Utd it'd be like turkeys voting for christmas.
  • I don't see how you can stop them now.  You can discuss/argue about how and why we got to this situation but it doesn't really matter now.  Here we are and you can't undo history.

This is a first step. If it doesn't look like they will get there way they will say fine, we will break away from the break away.  Good luck getting an overseas TV deal for Crystal Palace v Westbrom.

Then they will turn to UEFA and say guarantee us places in every seasons champions league or we will set up our own.  There will be other "big clubs" that would snap their hands off to join them. 

The EFL, FA, rest of the premier league, UEFA or Fifa are completely powerless to stop them now. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't see how you can stop them now.  You can discuss/argue about how and why we got to this situation but it doesn't really matter now.  Here we are and you can't undo history.

This is a first step. If it doesn't look like they will get there way they will say fine, we will break away from the break away.  Good luck getting an overseas TV deal for Crystal Palace v Westbrom.

Then they will turn to UEFA and say guarantee us places in every seasons champions league or we will set up our own.  There will be other "big clubs" that would snap their hands off to join them. 

The EFL, FA, rest of the premier league, UEFA or Fifa are completely powerless to stop them now. 
    Sadly I think you're right.
  • cafc999 said:
    For decades the big 6 cried that they didn't need fans, covid taught them otherwise.

It now appears that they haven't listened as they want even more money.

What summed it up for me this week was Arsenal spending £45m on a player yet the next day made the mascot redundant 
    Good news!

300k a week  Mezit Ozil has Stepped in to save his salary.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    Think its quite obvious why they've conveniently based the 'shareholder' calculation on the longest serving clubs - as it just so happens to encompass the 6 clubs who all the money is centered around.

And I expect they've made it a 9 club window simply because all votes need to have a minimum threshold in order for new policies to be passed. Therefore the 'big 6' alone will encompass 66% (and they're all likely to vote the same way). In other words, they have fuck all interest deep down on what West Ham/Southampton/Everton want, but they need them there in order to make their scheme work. 

I've felt for a long, long time that the horse had already bolted on keeping the game competitive at the top level. Leicester's title win drew me back in for a fleeting moment to think that maybe the impossible can still be possible. But this will completely crucify any chance of the game being interesting at the top level going forward. 

Genuinely have more disdain for the "big 6" clubs than I do Millwall. And by some very considerable distance too. They aren't football clubs whatsoever, they are brands. Nothing more. 
    I'm sure 14 clubs need to agree for anything be passed in the premier league. That's why i wondered on the significance of why 9 clubs.
  • NugNug
    edited October 2020
    I’d say it’s turning into the NFL and in some respects it is with one distinct difference, the draft system, allowing a poor performing team the chance to rebuild with the best young talent. Not sure the top 6 will ever want something like that.
  • In the long run if this is allowed the so called big 6 would put an end to promotion and relegation,  as the kind of investors they want would see as to much of a  risk. This is why they want to put an end to majority voting.
    So it would in ths medium term be the end of the EFLclubs, as they would not be of inteterest to wealthy owners.
  • Let's be fair this has been on the cards for some time and now is the time to shaft the EFL and let's face it with Prick Parry at the helm what hope is there.This is just a licence for the 'top' 6 to form their European league and it's just a matter of time - even if their own fans DONT want it.Pure greed but so be it.The only way to stop it is for all of us( me included) to Boycott Sky
  • I do not subscribe to sky  their take over of cricket was the reason. But now they have to much control in many sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Off_it said:
    WSS said:
    Rick Parry: 'They [big PL clubs] are frustrated that they get outvoted ... how can Huddersfield have the same vote as Man United?'

What a twat.
    Do you reckon he's forgotten that his job is to look after the interests of the EFL, rather than sell it down the river?
    It's all that fucker has ever done. Needs to go now.
  • edited October 2020
    Sky Sports News showing loads of footage of The Valley as part of this report.
  • Somewhere in the small print is a bit saying that b teams will be allowed in the league.
  • I'm confused as to what 18 PL teams achieves other than pushing 2 League Two sides into non league and ruining their finances