Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Post-match thread | Sunday 27th September

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    LB: "How have we not scored a goal today?"

We really didn't have that many chances, Lee. Take the rose specs off mate.
    We had plenty of chances

Washington's effort went wide, three / four efforts got deflected away from goal including one that went dribbling past an open goal

Another day (even potentially against us) and those deflections go in
    That's one chance and a lot of deflections
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dreadful performance.

Imagine being in the same league as Lincoln and then losing to them, embarrassing on both counts. 
    A few seasons ago saw them at Woking in the national League...that day we had Brighton away when lookman scored  2 in the opening minutes.....sums it up really.
  • Options
    It always hurts to lose, but with the takeover done and dusted, couldn’t help feeling more optimistic than usual, with the transfer window open. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    LB: "How have we not scored a goal today?"

We really didn't have that many chances, Lee. Take the rose specs off mate.
    We had plenty of chances

Washington's effort went wide, three / four efforts got deflected away from goal including one that went dribbling past an open goal

Another day (even potentially against us) and those deflections go in
    That's one chance and a lot of deflections
    They're still chances though arent they!!
  • Options
    As we all know this division does not respect anyone, you have to earn that respect and fight and finish as a team.
    After the week we have had its abit like after the lordmayor show.Things will take time to change this is the first step into a marathon not a 100yard sprint.
    Last two seasons we somehow had strong starts despite all the off field issues. Was always likely to be a bridge too far to do it again this season. We are going to have to be patient as fans. Just need to be in touch with the top six by Christmas and then it’ll hopefully be all to play for as our side continues to bed in and we’re finally able to strengthen properly in January. Feels a long way off after a performance like today, but things can and regularly do change quickly in football. 
  • Options
    For me Chuks is going to be a key player for us if we can get him on the pitch.
    Lol, nice one. 
  • Options
    Once we have a few more players in, we'll do well this season. 

I am sure Bowyer and the staff will be able to get us out of this league this season or certainly next. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That result was so so disappointing(1). Really can't see where the next win is coming from with this group of players(2). I know we are under embargo etc(3). but we should be doing better with players who last year were facing championship opposition(4). To make matters worse I now have to face the gloating from my neighbour and work colleague.... I need to avoid them for a while!
    (1) Of course it is always disappointing to lose.
    (2) This will not be the same group of players over the season.  
    (3) Embargo?  Can I recommend you read the "Thomas Sandgaard" thread, in its entirety?
    (4) We are a significantly weaker side than the one that faced championship opposition last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen the goals on SSN. Impossible to tell if it was offside but certainly appeared to go forward from a Lincoln player. 
    Poor defending from Ben Watson for the second. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dreadful performance.

Imagine being in the same league as Lincoln and then losing to them, embarrassing on both counts. 
    A bit disrespectful  to Lincoln City.  The last time we played them they were in Div2 (Championship) .

They might well be this seasons Wycombe W, clubs shouldn't be rubbished because they are not fashionable.  
    Absolutely this. Lincoln are playing at the same level as us because they have earned the right to be in this division. It's early days yet, but with three straight wins they are doing rather better than us at the moment too. No reason for any embarrassment, it is what it is. Every reason for a better performance next time out, though. 
  • Options
    Bad. But I'll begrudgingly accept how the week panned out. 
  • Options
    I have to admit, I was 100% Bowyer up until January. We have had things happen outside his control but that percentage has been dropping. Probably 70% at the moment. Hopefully some decent signings and we will get back on track. I thought his tactics when chasing today were crazy.
  • Options
    In 2011/12 when we won League 2 we had Wright-Phillips and Kermorgant up front.

In 2018/19, we had (until the end of January) Taylor and Grant up front.

This year we have got Bonne and Washington up front.

And that's why we are going nowhere this year.
    Washington who has so far scored 2 in 3 championship games? He looked a hell of a lot more lively then Bonne today for sure. 

Maybe if we bring some new players Bowyer will change the formation and the way we play - but currently you could have David Silva in the centre of the park but he won't do anything if he's sitting that deep all the time. 

He also missed an absolute sitter early on today. 

Neither Bonne or Washington will score the 15 goals we need from our strikers to mount a promotion push this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forster Caskey is so bad its almost unbelievable. I'd be a happier man if he never played for us again.
    Offers nothing. I’ve always been a fan of his, but the game just passes him by. 
  • Options

Washington who has so far scored 2 in 3 championship games? He looked a hell of a lot more lively then Bonne today for sure. 

Maybe if we bring some new players Bowyer will change the formation and the way we play - but currently you could have David Silva in the centre of the park but he won't do anything if he's sitting that deep all the time. 

Neither Bonne or Washington will score the 15 goals we need from our strikers to mount a promotion push this year.
    Why was it a 'sitter'? I agree he should have probably hit the target, but it's not like he literally had to stand still and put the ball into an empty net. 
  • Options

Judging from Bowyer's quotes, he knows Bonne's not good enough and that we need a proper goalscorer. I'm relieved.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Judging from Bowyer's quotes, he knows Bonne's not good enough and that we need a proper goalscorer. I'm relieved.
    I have seen enough of Bonne playing well in the Championship to think he is good enough. Maybe we need different sort of threats and better quality from others to get him playing like he can.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I know Bowyer will say “We didn’t take our chances we could’ve been 2 or 3 up first half,” but he says that too much. We just got soundly beaten by a league two side.
    The first half was decent but it was fairly obvious from about 55 minutes that we were never going to score. We never even tested their goalkeeper. 
    Once again we lacked any attacking fluency, shape or ideas. Everything breaks down in the final third or we’re just swinging crosses in to… who… Who do we have that’s good in the air? At one point they were going in to Oztumer! What exactly is our system of play?
    Even Lincoln looked better going forward.
    Upfront we are woeful. Playing Bonne is like playing with 10 men. If he’s not tapping them in then his contribution is zero. He doesn’t even bother to close defenders down. Last season looks like a flash in the pan. Take the money.
    As a unit we just look disjointed. A bunch of random players thrown together with no system in mind. If Bowyer says we need 7 new players, we don’t need squad players, we need first team players. This team isn’t good enough to get out of league one. It’s not even better than the last team to get out of league one. Not even in the same world.
    The two shining lights were Levitt, who was brilliant and Famewo, who looked solid.
    A lot needs to change and quickly. 

great post and I will add (controversially ?) that Bowyer needs to calm down. Easy to say, but to, expend so much energy and passion at slagging off the officials does not serve the team well .. we controlled the 1st half and yet again conceded just before a break or the end of a game. Irrespective of the rights or wrongs, I don't get how we went from being terrific to rubbish after the break. It could be that during the break too much attention was paid to bemoaning our fate and not enough on refining tactics and trying to ensure we kept up the pressure and kept playing our football. 
    We could have done with bringing on Davison in the second half and not with just replacing the midfield. Oztumer and Oshilaja ? just not good enough i m o ..  Bonne ?.. looks disinterested, Washington ?.. please just take it easy and don't panic. Even so, we still have the makings of a team

THE BRIGHT SIDE ? .. we now have certainty off the field and hopefully there will be money to spend on good players. We need hard working consistent footballers, nothing/nobody too flash. There are bargains out there. Lincoln's terrific new central defender was discovered playing in the Dutch lower leagues and was a cheap buy, their left back is 17 years old, younger than Barker, Jones came from Crewe, etc. etc.
    The season is brand new and we will be in the promotion chase so long as we play like we did in the 1st half and don't revert to a disheartened rubbish rabble after going one down however controversial the circumstances.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    We lost to a doubly dubious first half goal and a stupid error by Oshilaja. If he hadn't made that error he wouldn't be getting the pelters he's been getting, both on this and on the match thread. We missed a few chances in the first half and created too little in the second, and that was disappointing.
    The defence looked much better this week but why wasn't our tallest man marking their main danger man for the second? I suppose that's one of the problems with having a makeshift defence, which we did again after Fanewo came off. He didn't look knackered to me and I do get the impression that Bowyer decides his substitutions before the game's even started.
    Bonne had several games last season where he didn't look ready but he managed a decent strike rate. Let's hope he can start scoring a few.
    Overall disappointing but I've seen a lot worse.
    Friday's euphoria is over. Now we're back to reality.

This is just my opinion..... but he never looks like he is in control of a situation. Simple back pass today and he made a hash of it
    - it’s basic stuff for a player of any level. He has been pretty poor in at least half the games he has played for us. Couple of young players in the back 4 today - We need a centre back to be marshalling them and sowing their experience. He isn’t up to it. Him and a Purrington need to be replaced...and quickly. 
  • Options
    Bonnes finishing, especially when he only has one touch, is excellent. It's service to him that's lacking a lot at the moment
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I have seen enough of Bonne playing well in the Championship to think he is good enough. Maybe we need different sort of threats and better quality from others to get him playing like he can.
    I don't think he is, and Bowyer sees him in training as well and clearly doesn't have faith in him to get the goals we need.

Re: his good season, remember Marcus Stewart in the Prem?