Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Post-match thread | Sunday 27th September

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @jimmymelrose
    @golfaddick

has the bet been settled?
    It is not the bet, it is that golfie is so disappointed in our every performance and yet we are exceeding his expectations by a massive amount.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I know Bowyer will say “We didn’t take our chances we could’ve been 2 or 3 up first half,” but he says that too much. We just got soundly beaten by a league two side.
    Even Lincoln looked better going forward.
    Lincoln the best side in the league still at this point... Just saying, sometimes when you don't look good is because the other side make it so.
    I wasn't that impressed with Lincoln. They got a lucky goal and then pulled players back. I think we will stuff them in the return.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @jimmymelrose
    @golfaddick

has the bet been settled?
    No, not yet.

I'm willing to say double or quits on us finishing top six

@golfaddick
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I know Bowyer will say “We didn’t take our chances we could’ve been 2 or 3 up first half,” but he says that too much. We just got soundly beaten by a league two side.
    Lincoln the best side in the league still at this point... Just saying, sometimes when you don't look good is because the other side make it so.
    I wasn't that impressed with Lincoln. They got a lucky goal and then pulled players back. I think we will stuff them in the return.
    Thats one hell of a run of luck - played 9, won 7.  Thats not luck, that's doing what you're supposed to do.

I think a dose of humility may be called for for everyone that thinks "we should be beating teams like this".

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Thats one hell of a run of luck - played 9, won 7.  Thats not luck, that's doing what you're supposed to do.

I think a dose of humility may be called for for everyone that thinks "we should be beating teams like this".

Appleton has assembled a good team for this season, BUT his squad lacks real depth and I think they will run out of puff later in the season. A t m they are playing very good football
  • Options
    Also, Lincoln could lose a couple of their better players in January .. (e.g.) Grant and Montsma could be in demand from champ clubs
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I'm sure other clubs are saying the same about us
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    And that would be true. I'm not that impressed with us either. But will take 1-0 and 2-0 wins all day until the end of the season if they're on offer!

• Options
    First half I thought we looked like a  good side apart from our finishing. Second half we were dreadful. Very similar to the Donny game where we were much the better side until they scored. I suppose the answer is to score first.
    See my stats above. Until that changes then as soon as we go 1-0 down you might as well turn off iplayer & do something else.

Yesterday game resembled our 2-0 loss at Plymouth a few seasons ago. Should have been 2 up before they score & then look devoid of ideas after that. At least yesterday we weren't there in person to have to endure the long trek home - unlike the Plymouth game.

EDIT. Just checked back to the play-off winning season. We beat Luton at home 3-1 after going 1-0 down - we were also losing 1-0 at half time. That was the last league game (ignoring play off final) that we have gone behind & won. 54 games ago. But things are going to be just fine & dandy now as the transfer embargo has lifted & we have players falling over themselves to join us. Once we have those 6/7/8 players it we will be a different team 

And yes @jimmymelrose - I will take up your bet. We wont have more than 15 points after 12 games. 
    So here we are with more than 15 points and it only took us 8 games, which is as quick as we could possibly have done it following the Lincoln game. You could not have been more wrong here golfie, you may have to retire from misery
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half I thought we looked like a  good side apart from our finishing. Second half we were dreadful. Very similar to the Donny game where we were much the better side until they scored. I suppose the answer is to score first.
    See my stats above. Until that changes then as soon as we go 1-0 down you might as well turn off iplayer & do something else.

Yesterday game resembled our 2-0 loss at Plymouth a few seasons ago. Should have been 2 up before they score & then look devoid of ideas after that. At least yesterday we weren't there in person to have to endure the long trek home - unlike the Plymouth game.

EDIT. Just checked back to the play-off winning season. We beat Luton at home 3-1 after going 1-0 down - we were also losing 1-0 at half time. That was the last league game (ignoring play off final) that we have gone behind & won. 54 games ago. But things are going to be just fine & dandy now as the transfer embargo has lifted & we have players falling over themselves to join us. Once we have those 6/7/8 players it we will be a different team 

And yes @jimmymelrose - I will take up your bet. We wont have more than 15 points after 12 games. 
    So here we are with more than 15 points and it only took us 8 games, which is as quick as we could possibly have done it following the Lincoln game. You could not have been more wrong here golfie, you may have to retire from misery
    Never! We wouldn't have him any other way. No matter how fed up I can feel all I have to do is read his comments and realise I could be feeling much much worse, so instantly I feel better.

Dont ever change Golfie!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

You'd think after what Shrewsbury did in 2017-18 (including soundly beating us in the playoffs) people would know better!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

You'd think after what Shrewsbury did in 2017-18 (including soundly beating us in the playoffs) people would know better!
    It seems quite common in L1 for there to be a one season wonder side. They either go up or lose their best players in the summer
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    They probably are. What Lincoln have going for them clearly is they are well organised defensively. I'm sorry, but I can't be impressed with something when I am not. I was more impressed with Doncaster and even Oxford in terms of ability. Personally, I can't see them finishing above us because we have better players than them. If that is arrogance, so be it, but I think it is honesty.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Indeed. And being referred to as a "League Two side"
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I think a few clubs might be saying that about us. Although I don't see us stuffing anyone at present. We haven't scored more than 2 goals in the League in our last 20 matches and it's 4 years since we scored 5 in a game.  

We've become an efficient unit with a first class defensive unit that has won games against 4 of the bottom 7 sides by virtue of our clean sheets and ability to convert the few chances we've created - 5 goals from 5 shots on target in the last 3 matches. 

We're on target for the play offs but won't make automatic promotion the way we are playing at present because we won't always be able to keep clean sheets either because of a mistake by us or a bit of brilliance by the opposition. It will be interesting to see at what point LB incorporates Maddison into the team because he will, potentially, give us the difference that is so lacking. It's that risk/reward option which, as we've seen with the lack of minutes for the likes of Williams, Oztumer and Morgan, LB has been reluctant to turn to - but one would hope that Maddison will, nevertheless, start soon enough and not just utlised when we are having to chase the game.
  • Options
    The best thing about Golfie I like is how fair he is on the player marks thread. It makes me think much of his negativity is a way of ensuring he's happily surprised often. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I think a few clubs might be saying that about us. Although I don't see us stuffing anyone at present. We haven't scored more than 2 goals in the League in our last 20 matches and it's 4 years since we scored 5 in a game.  

We've become an efficient unit with a first class defensive unit that has won games against 4 of the bottom 7 sides by virtue of our clean sheets and ability to convert the few chances we've created - 5 goals from 5 shots on target in the last 3 matches. 

We're on target for the play offs but won't make automatic promotion the way we are playing at present because we won't always be able to keep clean sheets either because of a mistake by us or a bit of brilliance by the opposition. It will be interesting to see at what point LB incorporates Maddison into the team because he will, potentially, give us the difference that is so lacking. It's that risk/reward option which, as we've seen with the lack of minutes for the likes of Williams, Oztumer and Morgan, LB has been reluctant to turn to - but one would hope that Maddison will, nevertheless, start soon enough and not just utlised when we are having to chase the game.
    I hope the way we are playing is part of an evolution from one extreme to another. But I can see a similarity in terms of we are both hard to score against at this moment in time. 
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Indeed. And being referred to as a "League Two side"
    He was being kind ...... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The best thing about Golfie I like is how fair he is on the player marks thread. It makes me think much of his negativity is a way of ensuring he's happily surprised often. 
    I think that he likes to be pessimistic because it's a win-win situation for him. If we do badly he can take the satisfaction of being right, and if we win he can be happy that we've won.

That's me being optimistic in my analysis. It's probably just that he's a misery guts.😉