Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Post-match thread | Sunday 27th September

Comments

• edited September 2020
    It was my birthday yesterday. Of course we lost. Also had the sad news about Steve, a friend had a stroke, a message from another friend saying their next visit to Albufeira would be their last as her husband's alzheimer's was progressing rapidly and another saying that my last remaining aunt is in hospital with e-coli.

I have had better birthdays...     
  • edited September 2020
    Didn't watch the game and I'm not going to read the reports on CL after we lose 2-0 to the Mighty Lincoln. (I have seen 8 matches in step 4 of Football Pyrimid already this season)

I said last week, we are so far behind the side that started our last League one Campaign. Taylor and Grant scoring goals for fun, Pearce and Bauer solid at the back,
    (Naby coming in later) Cullen and Bielik joining the fray after the start and giving a League 1 team some class.
    Phillips finally getting his chance to prove his ability.

Lee and Thomas have stated their ambitions to reach the promised land,
    Getting out the wilderness may take longer than many fans believe. 

It took 3 seasons in each of our last 2 spells.

Exactly Elf.
    I would take two seasons to get back to the Championship this time. (Is that too optimistic ?)

When Lincoln, a side who were in the Conference/National League only 2 or 3 years ago start as favourites to beat us; and achieve that, even with the help of a mistake by officials then we have fallen a long way since beating Derby 3-0 just a year ago.
  • se9addick said:
    Since the start of the season - 1 win in 3
    Since the resumption in June - 3 wins in 12
    Since the start of the year - 6 wins in 24.

Need I go on ?  

That's 1 win every 4 games. And from a pretty large sample for the boys saying "give it time" or "look at the table after 12 games"

Yes we had injuries in Jan & couldn't strengthen due to the embargo. Yes we couldnt strengthen after relegation. 

So, now we have Thomas the Saviour. We have 3 weeks until the transfer window closes. We have 7 matches in October (less if games are called off due to international call ups). How many points do you think we will have after the magical 12 games ??

The above stats say only 2 more wins. I'll push the boat out and say 3 from the next 9 games plus a couple of draws. Let's be generous and say 3 draws......so an even 3,3,&3. 

15 points from 12 games. Probably enough to be out of the bottom 4 but not enough for the top half.

Oh what joy.

Presumably you are advocating sacking Bowyer? That's fine, football is about opinions.
    Who are you saying to bring in as a replacement?
    I don't think criticising Bowyer is the same as wanting him sacked. It is right to look at recent games and not give him a free pass surely. I would expect him to do that of himself. He has shown what he can do and the time has come where with the support of Thomas, he needs to do that again. 
    We live in such a polarised world/society now that people assume extreme positions. Provide constructive criticism of Lee Bowyer and people assume you want him sacked. 

I think Bowyer is a decent manager, certainly good enough to get us up if he has the right resources and he has been one small ray of light in an immensity of darkness in recent times, but he does have serious limitations and I think it’s fair for them to be discussed.
    And it is also fair to point out that he is still learning the trade. But if we are spotting errors it is probably because he is making them. Nobody would enjoy managing us in recent months and it will be interesting to see how he does in a fair wind. He did well under Duchatelet because he was given a budget and allowed to get on with it.

He will now almost certainly get backed much better but there has to be expectations alongside that. I have faith in him and his team and do expect promotion this year. This week will be interesting in terms of seeing what happens in relation to new signings.
  • se9addick said:
    Since the start of the season - 1 win in 3

Need I go on ?  

That's 1 win every 4 games. And from a pretty large sample for the boys saying "give it time" or "look at the table after 12 games"

Yes we had injuries in Jan & couldn't strengthen due to the embargo. Yes we couldnt strengthen after relegation. 

So, now we have Thomas the Saviour. We have 3 weeks until the transfer window closes. We have 7 matches in October (less if games are called off due to international call ups). How many points do you think we will have after the magical 12 games ??

The above stats say only 2 more wins. I'll push the boat out and say 3 from the next 9 games plus a couple of draws. Let's be generous and say 3 draws......so an even 3,3,&3. 

15 points from 12 games. Probably enough to be out of the bottom 4 but not enough for the top half.

Oh what joy.

Presumably you are advocating sacking Bowyer? That's fine, football is about opinions.
    Who are you saying to bring in as a replacement?
    I don't think criticising Bowyer is the same as wanting him sacked. It is right to look at recent games and not give him a free pass surely. I would expect him to do that of himself. He has shown what he can do and the time has come where with the support of Thomas, he needs to do that again. 
    We live in such a polarised world/society now that people assume extreme positions. Provide constructive criticism of Lee Bowyer and people assume you want him sacked. 

I think Bowyer is a decent manager, certainly good enough to get us up if he has the right resources and he has been one small ray of light in an immensity of darkness in recent times, but he does have serious limitations and I think it’s fair for them to be discussed.
    And it is also fair to point out that he is still learning the trade. But if we are spotting errors it is probably because he is making them. Nobody would enjoy managing us in recent months and it will be interesting to see how he does in a fair wind. He did well under Duchatelet because he was given a budget and allowed to get on with it.

He will now almost certainly get backed much better but there has to be expectations alongside that. I have faith in him and his team and do expect promotion this year. This week will be interesting in terms of seeing what happens in relation to new signings.
    This 110%...Its unfair to judge LB until he's made signings and then see how he's doing. The poor chap has had he's arms tied behind his back and budgeted on a shoestring...lets see if he gets a few quid from TS and see what he does with it.
    He deserves that at least. 
  • edited September 2020
    From memory the only team that played total football against Cafc in League 1 was Brighton under Poyet, when they played out from the back and their successful pass rate was amazing and it resulted in a 4 nil thumping.

Plus the obvious of having goalscorers and a good spine : Taylor/Grant (until Jan window), Cullen/Bielik, any combo of Pearce/Bauer/Sarr and Phillips a safe pair of hands( feet !)

Normally teams that get promoted from League 1 play a mixture of route one and good ball retention. Knowing when to play these polar opposites was vital, and back in the day as a coach I spent hours with my young team drilling that into them, and keep pass backs to the keeper to a minimum after my goalie did a Dillon and missed the ball with his feet; it didn't result in a goal as the ball had to be put back wide of the goal. That was the rule.

• Tactics are less relevant than whether they work or not.
  • Thought the first half was the best we'd played all season. Good movement out wide and Levitt pinging some great balls around the park. We created a lot of chances and openings but, as usual, our lack of quality in the final third let us down.

Bonne was poor, again. Can't blame lack of service as he had two great balls across the face in the second half. One he scuffed and he didn't get to the other. He seems to me to lack the football intelligence of a good striker, and therefore never seems to anticipate the ball and get on the end of it - he did the same at West Ham the other week.

Famewa looked solid, as did Purrington, but we miss Pearce. Deji wasn't Champtionship standard last year and it looks as though he's barely ready for this league either. No idea what's happened to Amos, but he seemed to let their second drop right past him.

Yes defending from Watson for the 2nd, but why is a 5'10 midfielder marking their top goal scorer in the first place?

We need a a lot of new faces to get anywhere near to promotion this season. We're only 3 games in, so still all to play for, but we've not got an easy October so could find ourselves way off the pace.
  • edited September 2020
    Oshilaja is difficult because for the most part he looks fine. He doesn't shy away from the ball and does generally well. But then he seems to lose focus and make an error most of us wouldn't make. Yesterday's error was a good example. The ultra simple passes still require a degree of focus. It is professionalism. He needs to work on that element of his game and it is a mental thing. 

I am minded of Nick Pope making the same mistake twice where the ball went through his legs. I was talking to a Burnley fan the other day and told him I didn't expect him to make a mistake like that again. Same with Deji, he needs to work on just focussing for 90 minutes and not letting that drop below a certain level. He does that and he starts to become a good player. 
  • We are devoid of goals. Washington will be ok. We need two strikers in or we can already forget promotion. 
    Promotion? I'll take staying up as a success. This will take a while for Bowyer, JJ and Steve G. some time to sort out. Mid-table finish for me and push on next season.
  • Surely it depends on who we bring in.
  • Sponsored links:

• addick19 said:
    We are devoid of goals. Washington will be ok. We need two strikers in or we can already forget promotion. 
    Promotion? I'll take staying up as a success. This will take a while for Bowyer, JJ and Steve G. some time to sort out. Mid-table finish for me and push on next season.
    To be honest I can’t accept aiming for anything less than promotion in this pub league, especially if we get a few more decent players in over the next week or so. 

We might not get up this season, it’s taken us three attempts the last two time’s we’ve been down here, but it has to be the aim. 
  • Surprised people aren't talking about the sitter Washington missed when it was 0-0. When you beat the last defender, cut into your right foot, have only the goalie to beat, it's pretty much target practice from there. He smashed it low and hard very well, but wide. Bonne could also have been played in too and it would have been an instinctive finish, which we know he tends to take. 
  • edited September 2020
    mendonca said:
    Surprised people aren't talking about the sitter Washington missed when it was 0-0. When you beat the last defender, cut into your right foot, have only the goalie to beat, it's pretty much target practice from there. He smashed it low and hard very well, but wide. Bonne could also have been played in too and it would have been an instinctive finish, which we know he tends to take. 
    Inches wide. Bonne would have been slaughtered for missing that same shot that Washington took. Gilt edged. 
  • edited September 2020
     I didn't watch the game, but if I said Washington and Bonne should've taken chances and the blatant off side disallowed then is a fair summing up of the first half,  0-1 or 0-2 ?

Sounds like a critical 7 days at Sparrows lane on the training pitch and with new players joining and plus at least one player Phillips going out the door. Shame if it's not possible to offer a package to keep Dillion on this journey up the Pyrimid.

• edited September 2020
     I didn't watch the game, but if I said Washington and Bonne should've taken chances and the blatant off side disallowed then is a fair summing up of the first half,  0-1 or 0-2 ?
     Given Bowyer's comments it would seem so. (I also didn't watch the game, but the highlights suggest similar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY_Zb6TPMFs

From these highlights I came up with the following views: 

1. Washington should score, Bonne correct to be angry at that one.

2. Pratley crunching clean tackle, Bonne works it back to Levitt, who plays it to Doughty, great ball to Ozzy who shoots and Washington should score from the saved shot. Once again Bonne is a toe poke away unmarked as Washington wastes possession. Either shoot or pass, don't try to hold it up on the edge of the 6 yard box!

3. Why was Pratley trying to get a piggy back... Not needed. Stupid Penalty to give away

4. Goal is well offside from the resulting save. Good save from the PK by Amos. Purrington millimetres away from blocking the cross to the offside Grant. 

5. Barker with a great cross in that is the right height for Oztumer, but he misses it. Not much Bonne can do between the CB and Keeper collecting the ball. 

6. Watson doesn't get off the ground with his jump... Something Sarr would've been crucified for. Easy header for the forward. Amos planted as he was backpeddling

• We don't take our chances and our defending for the goals we concede is pretty poor. Add to that the level of reffing in L1, which will be consistently bad.

I really hope we do not have to read and follow the same theme each week.

•  I didn't watch the game, but if I said Washington and Bonne should've taken chances and the blatant off side disallowed then is a fair summing up of the first half,  0-1 or 0-2 ?

Yup thats pretty fair

The question is though, do Charlton come out stronger in the second half and continue on from their first half form because they're facing a team who dont have a goal to protect?

Ultimately thats largely what Lincoln did in the second half, they then picked us off (getting the corner) when we had to start pushing more bodies forward
  • Deji was very much brought in as cover for a number of positions, and he's had some decent games for us.
    I'd very much expect him to return to that role when the squad is strengthened. He gives everything but doesn't have the quality to be number one in any position. I don't feel massively concerned when he starts a match though.
  • edited September 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• It was my birthday yesterday. Of course we lost. Also had the sad news about Steve, a friend had a stroke, a message from another friend saying their next visit to Albufeira would be their last as her husband's alzheimer's was progressing rapidly and another saying that my last remaining aunt is in hospital with e-coli.

I have had better birthdays...     
    Sorry to hear that AA. 
  • Since the start of the season - 1 win in 3

Need I go on ?  

Oh what joy.

Oiii Golfie!!!!!!!!! @golfaddick

I bet you a tenner that we'll have more than 15 points after 12 games, you pessimistic wallybrain.

Put your money where your mouth is.

With Love, jimmymelrose
  • Whats happened to Bonne, looks bereft of confidence, or is it lack of service? Did he over achieve last season? After his cracker against Swindon thought he would kick on.
  • Since the start of the season - 1 win in 3

Need I go on ?  

Oh what joy.

Oiii Golfie!!!!!!!!! @golfaddick

I bet you a tenner that we'll have more than 15 points after 12 games, you pessimistic wallybrain.

Put your money where your mouth is.

With Love, jimmymelrose
    I'll stick £10 to the upbeats if we don't achieve at least 15 points across those 12 games too.
  • First half I thought we looked like a  good side apart from our finishing. Second half we were dreadful. Very similar to the Donny game where we were much the better side until they scored. I suppose the answer is to score first.
  • Whats happened to Bonne, looks bereft of confidence, or is it lack of service? Did he over achieve last season? After his cracker against Swindon thought he would kick on.
    IMO it's been lack of service. Washington is greedier than Bonne is used to in a partner too. Not complaining about that, but really hope they can get something of a partnership going. 

I like Bonne, but he's not the same kind of hardworking forward we lost, so can't be seen as a direct replacement unless we change how we play. 
  • edited September 2020
    Bonne has the ability to get into goal scoring positions and lose his marker.
    (Zonal marking is a joke and defenders can pass the buck as well as the responsibility) Chris Wilder used man marking last season and Sheffield United overachieved big time and didn't concede that many goals.

Washington has to give the pass to Bonne when he is totally unmarked on the edge of the Six yard box.(no problem if you score yourself but he didn't) Bonne will miss some sitters, but not having time to think I'm 95% certain he would have scored ! Taylor missed a few but mainly in games when we were ahead and it didn't cost us the points. ( One shocker in front of covered end but we were 3 up in League 1 so he didn't get any stick)
    Macaulay Bonne goals to games ratio are decent and the onus in on Charlton to keep supplying.

I faced seeing the highlights
    (thanks Dazzler) and even though the goal was offside after the penalty save, only VAR could've given the correct decision as the ref and ass referee were totally confused and I wonder if they were even sure who the pass came from; defender or attacker.
    Can anyone remember a goal being scored in similar circumstances. I have watched thousands of games, from park football to internationals and can't recall a similar incident ?

Our luck on the field now needs to dovetail with the luck in finding Thomas Sandgaard who wanted a sporting challenge and boy oh boy, has he found one in choosing Charlton Athletic.