Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Soccer Saturday shakeup

Comments

• Options
    Get Chris Solly on....
  • Options
    jams said:
    Do you all watch it much? If we're away id rather follow on Twitter 
    I’d much rather have Soccer Saturday on following all the scores than have Charlton completely ruin my Saturday.

It’s appeal was the established relationships and the comfort each participant had with each other. It was basically a bunch of like minded mates who could comfortably banter, disagree and argue with each other exactly on screen as they would off screen. 

Like most things involving a panel on TV now I suspect it will now have to adhere to various diversity quotas
    Hopefully, but I reckon you can still do that and have banter amongst the panel. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    If Sky are going down the route I think they are - which they shouldn't, because it's a move to appease people who do not watch the show - 

Who do you mean?
  • Options
    Tell you who would be good if they go down the female route, Michelle Owen. Really knowledgeable and clear and concise when reporting.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    If Sky are going down the route I think they are - which they shouldn't, because it's a move to appease people who do not watch the show - 

Who do you mean?
    I would argue the people they are trying to appeal too would prefer to have a live 3PM (all Premier league matches) on TV to watch. Thus, they wouldn’t even to choose watch this type of programme if they had their initial option. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Surprised the reaction was any sort of uproar to this, and not just general surprise that they have all had that good a gig for so long despite not really being that knowledgeable or good 

Didn't mind Le Tissier but Thomson and Nicholas are dull as dishwater and not particularly great pundits.

They've had a pretty great run considering, not going to feel too bad for them
  • Options
    jams said:
    Do you all watch it much? If we're away id rather follow on Twitter 
    I’d much rather have Soccer Saturday on following all the scores than have Charlton completely ruin my Saturday.

It’s appeal was the established relationships and the comfort each participant had with each other. It was basically a bunch of like minded mates who could comfortably banter, disagree and argue with each other exactly on screen as they would off screen. 

Like most things involving a panel on TV now I suspect it will now have to adhere to various diversity quotas
    You can't stick with the same thing forever and there are plenty of better pundits out there. Chemistry will build up over time.

If the pundits are good and well prepared then that is how they should be judged. If it's a box ticking exercise and they get in rubbish pundits then it will serve no purpose.

I'm bored of listening to ill informed ex players being given too much airtime. 

Having a more diverse panel is the way forward but how you effect this is the question. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just can't stand the way they all rant and rave anyway, hopefully the next lot just talk about the  football and don't try to out do each other all the time. 
  • Options
    Surprised the reaction was any sort of uproar to this, and not just general surprise that they have all had that good a gig for so long despite not really being that knowledgeable or good 

Didn't mind Le Tissier but Thomson and Nicholas are dull as dishwater and not particularly great pundits.

They've had a pretty great run considering, not going to feel too bad for them
    I don't think there is too much uproar, I just think people are a bit surprised, I've pretty much watched Soccer Saturday since it started and so it will be a bit of a change when they are gone . I'm surprised they got rid of Le Tiss despite his tweets, he was easily the best of the 4 of them, I mean Carragher spat on a child which is 100 times worse. 

They had actually started to bring in other pundits quite a bit last season for the Saturday show, it was rare enough all 4 were on the same time so I suppose I should have seen it coming
  • Options
    Just can't stand the way they all rant and rave anyway, hopefully the next lot just talk about the  football and don't try to out do each other all the time. 
    I prefer pundits who are well informed rather than those who are just selling their 'personality' which can be really tedious. Talk Sport seems to find the worst.

• Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Clarkson, Hammond and May were probably not the best guys you could’ve picked to talk about cars. But Top Gear was still 100x better with them on it.

Think Sky have shot themselves in the foot. 
    Change happens whether you like it or not and it's often for the better. Some people obviously like the existing pundits and some don't.

Hopefully the new pundits will be good...
  • Options
    Can't BT do the version for white wine spritzers and lemonade and Sky Sports stick with the pint of lager and a packet of crisps option?
  • Options
    The BT show had ex players in their late 30's early 40s who were still contacted to the game, had played recently and are interesting to listen to, I'd also say Mark Pougatch is a really good host, so the show flows well. 

They are helped they go into the 5.30 game, but it's a better package
  • Options
    Can't wait for the new pundits to be announced so the debate can really take off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott Minto has just announced that he’ll no longer be working for Sky. 

Shame - he’s very good for EFL coverage.
  • Options
    Oh thats a huge shame about Scott Minto

Not just because of his Charlton links either, hopefully he's decided to do the weekly CACT quiz full time - I miss that
  • Options
    Sky have got rid of Scott Minto now. That one is mystifying to me. He's articulate, knowledgeable and works well with the guests. Plus he was actually pro-Charlton which was nice to see
    I guess I am biased, but thought he was very good, so don't understand this. This others I can see why
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Clarkson, Hammond and May were probably not the best guys you could’ve picked to talk about cars. But Top Gear was still 100x better with them on it.

Think Sky have shot themselves in the foot. 
    Lots thought the same when Keys & Gray left. 
  • Options
    Minto was brilliant. Don't see the logic in getting rid of him. 

There was a female presenter who did a few EFL games (she did the home game v Millwall) and she was awful. Hope she doesn't replace him
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Who do you mean?
    I would argue the people they are trying to appeal too would prefer to have a live 3PM (all Premier league matches) on TV to watch. Thus, they wouldn’t even to choose watch this type of programme if they had their initial option. 
    I'm not sure I understand. I was just asking @PaddyP17 who he meant when he said the people sky are trying to appease don't even watch the show? What people?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I don't fully get his point. Is he giving out that people think they only got sacked so they could get replaced by Scott, Richards and Morrison? 
  • Options
    The Soccer Saturday shakeup does seem to have caused a massive storm (both with the changes and with the reactions to some of the replacements) out of proportion to the number of people actually watching it?