Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Shirt Questions

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Talal said:
    Rothko said:

And why did the keepers kit from Wembley never see another game? 
    It looked a bit rushed, the badge had the shield around which followed the Quaser design of that season. I guess they just wanted a more solid design for the new season. Wonder if Sasa has the shirt, would be worth a fortune. 
    I asked Sasa about that shirt and if the museum could loan it off of him. His reply was, "Its in a lock up and I will try and find it when I am back in London"  
    A lock up?! Surprised it's not framed and in pride of place at his home. 
  • Options
    As a newly confessed kit geek this thread has been very interesting and enjoyable.
    Now what's the story with the "The Woolwich"? First appeared on the Osca shirts but then the Adidas ones were sold without, though it still appeared on the players' shirts at some point. Then the 91-92 shirt had it on but we also played for a while in that strip without it. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    As a newly confessed kit geek this thread has been very interesting and enjoyable.
    Now what's the story with the "The Woolwich"? First appeared on the Osca shirts but then the Adidas ones were sold without, though it still appeared on the players' shirts at some point. Then the 91-92 shirt had it on but we also played for a while in that strip without it. 
    Oscar kits first arrived for us in 83/84, we had no sponsor.

Woolwich then sponsored us halfway through the 84/85 season. As Always there is another issue with that as we made 2 TV highlights when they were sponsors (Spurs at home and Man City away) and for those games we had Sunley on the shirts.

Adidas came back in 86/87 And for the first half a dozen or so games did no have any sponsor on the shirts, Woolwich were added after that. The replica shirts were sold without the sponsors name.

The kit for the 91/92 And the start of the 92/93 season (until the Back to The Valley game) was the same. The Woolwich deal ran out at the end of the 91/92 season and so for the 92/93 we had the same kit minus the sponsors name
  • Options
    @JohnnyH2 brilliant love all this stuff. So to get this clear at the start of the 86/87 season and 91/92 season Woolwich stopped sponsoring us for a short period before doing so again, is that right? If so do you know why? 
  • Options
    Also presumably shirts with Sunley on were never sold so must be extremely rare. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    @JohnnyH2 brilliant love all this stuff. So to get this clear at the start of the 86/87 season and 91/92 season Woolwich stopped sponsoring us for a short period before doing so again, is that right? If so do you know why? 
    They never stopped sponsoring us in 86/87 I think it was more the case the shirts arrived from Adidias late (we played the pre season in the previous season kit) and were missing the sponsor. At the time my Grand Parents were friends with Bill Gallagher (Kit Manager as well as Asst Physio) wife and I remember her saying the kits had to be sent away after an away game first thing on a Sunday morning to have Woolwich added.  

The Woolwich deal ended at the end of the 91/92 season and was not renewed and no replacement was found until Viglen in November 93
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The keepers shirt because it has Quaser on it is 97/98. During the season either Quaser went bust or something went wrong with the contract as we were seeing all sorts of kits. For example the home socks changed  about 10 games from end of the season.  We all knew le coq were replacing them and they were providing the kit under Quaser name
    So just to clarify, all shirts from 97/98 have Quaser on the front. However, some were in fact produced by Le Coq Sportif, so have their labels in the back? I just checked two outfield shirts that I have from that season and they both carry Quaser on the label as well as the front.

Does anyone else have the mixed type?
  • Options
    If you ever fancy selling that @Carl Leaburn let me know! 😄
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Talal said:
    They never stopped sponsoring us in 86/87 I think it was more the case the shirts arrived from Adidias late (we played the pre season in the previous season kit) and were missing the sponsor. At the time my Grand Parents were friends with Bill Gallagher (Kit Manager as well as Asst Physio) wife and I remember her saying the kits had to be sent away after an away game first thing on a Sunday morning to have Woolwich added.  

The Woolwich deal ended at the end of the 91/92 season and was not renewed and no replacement was found until Viglen in November 93
    I get it now, cheers. A question about the Adidas shirts, there was a subtle collar change at one point, was this one available to buy? The "crossed" collar seems more common. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:
    The Ribero shirt is 93/94
    Did we have two versions of this shirt that season then?

@Talal has the same shirt, but with Viglen on the front.
    Vivien became sponsors in the November so the original ones sold in the club shop had no sponsor on them 
    There are some BTTV shirts with Viglen sponsor as I have one. Mine was advertised as match worn anglo-Italian cup (93-94 season) was this shirt only used in that competition? I can only find one "in game" image online of that shirt with Viglen. 
    Off the top of my head that white shirt was first worn with Viglen on against Ancona away 9/11/93
    Believe you're right C.

The Viglen logo was in blue not black though if I remember correctly.

Edit: beaten to it and smashed out of the park by @Carl Leaburn photo.
  • Options
    What did happen to Quaser then, did the brand just disappear off the face of the earth, we were the last thing they were involved with, I remember when they were Gary Linekar boot suppliers
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Just going back to this shirt, could it be purchased without sponsor or can only match worn be found? Also the badge design seems to have changed which is odd. 

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Talal said:
    Just going back to this shirt, could it be purchased without sponsor or can only match worn be found? Also the badge design seems to have changed which is odd. 

Some of the player / early issue versions had embroidered badges. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    cafc999 said:
    Talal said:

Some of the player / early issue versions had embroidered badges. 
    👍 Any idea on the adidas shirts with collar change, could the v neck ones be bought? 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Talal said:

Now that is a very rare shirt  ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Talal said:

Now that is a very rare shirt  ;)
    Had a feeling you might say that 😄
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Answering my own question re the adidas shirts as completely forgot I had a few True Colours cards. Presumably if the plainer collar was used for a full season it would've been available to buy, though I've not yet seen one that isn't match worn/issue.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Did we ever wear a white version of the bttv shirt? This seems to think so but I found footage of that Swindon game and we were in blue. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Talal said:
    Did we ever wear a white version of the bttv shirt? This seems to think so but I found footage of that Swindon game and we were in blue. 

No white version, only a blue one which was worn away to Watford (live on ITV) and Swindon away
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Talal said:

No white version, only a blue one which was worn away to Watford (live on ITV) and Swindon away
    Good, at least that's one less rare one to find! 
  • Options
    Have just watched the 74/5 game at Gillingham , we won 1-0 with a Keith Peacock header in the last 3 minutes.
    This is the first time I recall seeing the away top.  All White with a Red collar, and Red running down the side of the top.  

What I'd give to have this, THE best away top I have seen by a mile.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Vivien became sponsors in the November so the original ones sold in the club shop had no sponsor on them 
    There are some BTTV shirts with Viglen sponsor as I have one. Mine was advertised as match worn anglo-Italian cup (93-94 season) was this shirt only used in that competition? I can only find one "in game" image online of that shirt with Viglen. 
    Off the top of my head that white shirt was first worn with Viglen on against Ancona away 9/11/93
    Ancona was definitely the first time Viglen appeared on the away shirt. I was there and lucky enough to get Colin Walsh's match shirt that night. I do believe that it was the only time the sponsor was in blue and was black for the rest of the season, but I may be wrong on that. Colin Walsh's shirt from the night is below.

According to the cafc player, this was 92/92, i thought it was the following season 93/94.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_nygkw99v

However in the 93/94 season we had that weird shirt numbering that was alphabetical.

In the video Leaburn is wearing 16 of something, but his squad number was 8.

@Talal @killerandflash @Carl Leaburn

• Options
    Final question for you @JohnnyH2 this time regarding FADS. I believe it first appeared on the shirts mid 80/81 season and remained until the end of 82/83. However this photo of the 82/83 squad has no sponsor. Did Adidas provide the shirts late again and did we start the season like this? 

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

Ancona was definitely the first time Viglen appeared on the away shirt. I was there and lucky enough to get Colin Walsh's match shirt that night. I do believe that it was the only time the sponsor was in blue and was black for the rest of the season, but I may be wrong on that. Colin Walsh's shirt from the night is below.

This shirt needs to be displayed in something like a museum...just saying 😉 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Final question for you @JohnnyH2 this time regarding FADS. I believe it first appeared on the shirts mid 80/81 season and remained until the end of 82/83. However this photo of the 82/83 squad has no sponsor. Did Adidas provide the shirts late again and did we start the season like this? 

We started the season with FADS but that picture is taken much later in the season, as Lennie is Manager and Simonsen is in it. Can't rember when but FADS came off the shirts as some point during the season. Certainly did not have them on in the 5-2 win against Chelsea and it was not on TV so even that reason can't be used
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Talal said:

We started the season with FADS but that picture is taken much later in the season, as Lennie is Manager and Simonsen is in it. Can't rember when but FADS came off the shirts as some point during the season. Certainly did not have them on in the 5-2 win against Chelsea and it was not on TV so even that reason can't be used
    Thanks I just assumed team photos were done at the start hadn't thought about the people appearing in it. Wonder why it came off 🤔
  • Options
    Talal said:
    cafc999 said:
    Talal said:
    Rothko said:

And why did the keepers kit from Wembley never see another game? 
    It looked a bit rushed, the badge had the shield around which followed the Quaser design of that season. I guess they just wanted a more solid design for the new season. Wonder if Sasa has the shirt, would be worth a fortune. 
    I asked Sasa about that shirt and if the museum could loan it off of him. His reply was, "Its in a lock up and I will try and find it when I am back in London"  
    A lock up?! Surprised it's not framed and in pride of place at his home. 
    "...And finally, Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the shirt I was wearing when I let in ten goals at Wembley in 1998"
  • Options
    Talal said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:

I'll swap you for Danny Green's 'poppy' shirt at the Halifax FA Cup game.