Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2020/21

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    klopp talking to roy keane like hes some sort of toby - the bloke won 15 trophies. 

find klopp v annoying and arrogant of late. 

Keane in his pomp was the finest defensive midfielder in the world and, as you rightly say, had a monumentally successful career.

That doesn't mean he's a good pundit and certainly doesn't alter the fact that he's a complete arsehole.
    I don't think he's a bad pundit. A little bit one dimensional in that unless players give 110% and/or are naughty buggers he slags them off. He judges players by the way he played and is a bit biased, but decent comedy value at the very least. Can't argue with the arsehole bit though!
  • Options

After a series of farcical handball decisions in the first three gameweeks of the Premier League season, referees will be permitted to show more leniency with handball decisions, The Athletic report.

After a conversation with International Football Association Board (IFAB), it was agreed at a Premier League meeting on Tuesday that refs will be allowed to apply greater subjectivity within the existing rules.

• Options

After a series of farcical handball decisions in the first three gameweeks of the Premier League season, referees will be permitted to show more leniency with handball decisions, The Athletic report.

After a conversation with International Football Association Board (IFAB), it was agreed at a Premier League meeting on Tuesday that refs will be allowed to apply greater subjectivity within the existing rules.

On MOTD2 on Sunday there was some interesting analysis which showed how in Spain and Italy, which adopted the literal handball rules last season, they had massively more penalties than we did. I wonder if the handball rules caused uproar there as well?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Great so now we're in a position where there will be even less consistency!!

I dont know what the rule should be, handball is always going to be an impossible thing to get right as players / fans / management will always find a grey area with a lot more ease - I'd argue that the players themselves need to adapt, if it means jumping with their arms being their backs then so be it, they of course wont be able to jump so high in which case the crossing has to be improved upon. After all the players learnt quickly at the World Cup that holding an opposing player would result in a penalty so by the time we reached the later stages of the tournament it wasnt happening at all.

I think people need to stop expecting VAR to be this perfectly ran system that'll give the correct decision every time...  Sorry but in this sport its impossible, okay then I'm sure you'll get calls for it to be taken away in that case but for all those calls last season there was still the shout of where was it when Bournemouth got relegated... THEY CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!

VAR should in my mind stop trying to please everyone and just have a set of rules and goddamn stick with them unless there really is a good reason for improvement...
  • Options

On MOTD2 on Sunday there was some interesting analysis which showed how in Spain and Italy, which adopted the literal handball rules last season, they had massively more penalties than we did. I wonder if the handball rules caused uproar there as well?
    Last season in Serie A was a joke for penalties. The top 3 scorers:

Immobile 36 goals (14 pens)
    Ronaldo 31 goals (12 pens)
    Lukaku 23 goals (6 pens)

More than a third of their goals were penalties.
  • Options
    As with any handball decision it should be down to the referees interpretation of the situation.

How far the ball travelled
    How fast it travelled
    Where it struck the player
    The players body shape

That literal rule is a load of complete shit, as we saw with the Dier handball. The ref felt like he HAD to give it.
  • Options
    When they were discussing introducing the rule, I said you may as well just kick the ball at an arm.
    It's far easier than trying to score a goal.
    Maybe if everyone did this, the rule might change.
  • Options
    This Liverpool side are immense. They just swarm all over you.

If (as usual) their key men stay fit, they'll get 90+ points again and i can't see any other team getting near them.
    They seem to stay very fit for a very high intensity team, don't they?

Remind me of Juve in the 90s who seemed to be faster, stronger, and fitter than everyone else....
  • Options
    Klopp misquoted Keane. I think Keane can be a knob but he said Liverpool were sloppy at times. Which they were, including the Arsenal goal. Klopp is well within his right to defend his team, he just comes across as a bell end doing it. 
    There is a proper media luv in with Klopp though, barely remember him getting any bad press when he came in and it wasnt working
    Klopp is very good value, I can understand them staying on his good side to get more from him.

I do agree he's seemed a bit more smug recently but then I probably would too in his position!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Klopp is a prick tbh. Gets away with murder on the touchline because he's portrayed as being all smiley in the press. 
  • Options
    Thiago Alcantara has tested positive. He's missed their last 2 games anyway
  • Options

Great so now we're in a position where there will be even less consistency!!

I dont know what the rule should be, handball is always going to be an impossible thing to get right as players / fans / management will always find a grey area with a lot more ease - I'd argue that the players themselves need to adapt, if it means jumping with their arms being their backs then so be it, they of course wont be able to jump so high in which case the crossing has to be improved upon. After all the players learnt quickly at the World Cup that holding an opposing player would result in a penalty so by the time we reached the later stages of the tournament it wasnt happening at all.

I think people need to stop expecting VAR to be this perfectly ran system that'll give the correct decision every time...  Sorry but in this sport its impossible, okay then I'm sure you'll get calls for it to be taken away in that case but for all those calls last season there was still the shout of where was it when Bournemouth got relegated... THEY CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!

VAR should in my mind stop trying to please everyone and just have a set of rules and goddamn stick with them unless there really is a good reason for improvement...
    The problem isn't for the attacking team though, it's for the defenders, as the punishment for the defending team is so much worse.

It's impossible to jump for the ball, to challenge an opponent with your arms by your side. 
  • Options
    Klopp misquoted Keane. I think Keane can be a knob but he said Liverpool were sloppy at times. Which they were, including the Arsenal goal. Klopp is well within his right to defend his team, he just comes across as a bell end doing it. 
    my point exactly well explained sir
  • Options
    There is a proper media luv in with Klopp anything remotely with liverpool though, barely remember him getting any bad press when he came in and it wasnt working
    on a seperate point how selfish is salah
  • Options
    Yet another Pickford error.
    Pope has to start for England surely. 
  • Options
    Yet another Pickford error.
    Pope has to start for England surely. 
    On another note, yet another goal for Calvert-Lewin!!

One more and he's into double figures already for the season
  • Options
    Pickford will still start for England 

No matter what he does he always manages to start for England, he has been making mistakes for ages now and continues to be Englands number 1 for some reason.

Its absolutely ridiculous he needs to be dropped and everyone can see it other than Southgate
  • Options
    To be fair for some reason he's pretty solid as an England 'keeper

He's a bit like Crouch who was always a better Striker for England than he was at Liverpool
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow looks like Man Utd are signing Edinson Cavani... that one has come from no where!!
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what Cavani has to give at 33
  • Options
    Wow looks like Man Utd are signing Edinson Cavani... that one has come from no where!!
    Desperation to get a "name", to make up for not getting Sancho?
  • Options
    City 5 points behind Liverpool after only 3 games.
  • Options
    Hope Leicester and Everton can keep up this season :(
  • Options
    Everton look amazing going forward and are scoring for fun, but i think against better sides their defence may come unstuck. Already conceded twice to West brom, Brighton and even Fleetwood. Although i believe they are trying to sign one or two defenders before the deadline.

The Merseyside derby right after the international break will be a good measure of where they're at.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Pope having his own shocker tonight!!

Might be harsh to blame him for the goal but not having his best performance 
  • Options
    Everton look amazing going forward and are scoring for fun, but i think against better sides their defence may come unstuck. Already conceded twice to West brom, Brighton and even Fleetwood. Although i believe they are trying to sign one or two defenders before the deadline.

The Merseyside derby right after the international break will be a good measure of where they're at.

They need a new keeper

Get a decent keeper and a Centre back to join Mina and they have a chance of champions league football