Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2020/21 FA Cup Thread

Comments

• Charlton 6 Plymouth 4 - one of a few tennis scores we have had - not forgetting Plymouth 6 Charlton 4, of course.
    Those two results were 26th dec 1960 and 27th dec 1960 !

Goals galore in this fixture back in the day 

• Charlton 6 Plymouth 4 - one of a few tennis scores we have had - not forgetting Plymouth 6 Charlton 4, of course.

Crazy, seemed to always be the home team racking up big scores (although Charlton manage to score four a couple of times and lose!). Wonder if the travel time (I assume it took about eighteen weeks to get to/from Plymouth in the 1930’s - 60’s) & conditions meant the away team was shattered by the time they got there?
  • clb74 said:
    Never get a good draw anyway.
    I remember running round the living room when we got Mansfield away.
    That was short lived, moved to a 12pm sunday kick basically no trains and to top it alll off had elfsborg no stop yapping for 3 1/2 hours in the car on the way back.
    That sounds like a nightmare .
    And someone nicked some roast potatoes off me Sunday dinner.
    Never been out for sunday lunch and only received 2 roasties.
  • Jeez she is useless
    She wasn’t that good .

that was painful 

Still she’s easy on the eye so as you were 
    Even my Missus said "I wonder who she's blowing to get this gig".

I mean, c'mon, with all the experienced and knowledgeable pro footballers out there without a contract who'd do an excellent and informative job, they drag on some blonde bimbo who can't even tell the difference between 15 and 16.
  • I must’ve heard wrong then.

Sure I heard Sheffield Wednesday v Plymouth.
  • With a better squad this year, there's no reason we shouldn't put out a side capable of winning for once.
  • Hard work for Grant Holt, having to draw out all 80 balls himself! 
  • The "Romance" of the Cup was completely lost once they said that there would be no fans in attendance. 
  • Losing teams will receive a share of prize money in the FA Cup first round to lessen the financial impact of ties being played behind closed doors.

Losing teams previously got no prize money but will get 25% - £5,657 - while the winners get the rest - £16,972.

Ties will be held without fans on the weekend of 7 November because of the coronavirus pandemic leaving clubs without their usual matchday income.

The scheme could be extended for the second round if restrictions remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54709368

• BBC Sport's FA Cup first round coverage

Saturday, 7 November

FC United of Manchester v Doncaster Rovers - BBC Two, 17:15-19:35 GMT (multi-camera)

Tonbridge Angels-Bradford City - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:30 GMT (multi-camera)

Ipswich Town-Portsmouth - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 15:00 GMT (multi-camera)

Colchester United-Marine - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 15:00 GMT (single-camera)

Banbury United-Canvey Island - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 15:00 GMT (single-camera)

Sunday, 8 November

Maldon & Tiptree-Morecambe - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (multi-camera)

Hampton & Richmond Borough-Oldham Athletic - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (multi-camera)

Eastleigh-MK Dons - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (single-camera)

Barnet-Burton Albion - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (single-camera)

Wigan Athletic-Chorley - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (single-camera)

Torquay United-Crawley Town - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (single-camera)

Hayes & Yeading United-Carlisle United - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (single-camera)

Havent & Waterlooville v Cray Valley Paper Mills - BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website, 12:45 GMT (single-camera)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54737562

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    For a side that’s got no chance of winning it, the only thing to look forward to is a massive tie with big crowd numbers.  

So excuse my miserable attitude here but this is the least I’ve ever give a shit about the FA Cup, and I’m old school, love the competition, real shame.
  • Confusion over grassroot sports and FA Cup ties

It is not clear how grassroots and amateur sport will be affected, but guidance is being drawn up.

However sources have indicated to BBC Sport that is unlikely that grassroots team sport will be permitted to continue.

Nine of the 40 FA Cup first round ties due to be played over 6-9 November involve teams from "non-elite" leagues.

The Football Association says it is "awaiting further information before we can confirm how this may affect non-elite football across England".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54765522

• Can anyone confirm whether the game with Plymouth will be streamed? We had to use a different site for the Carabao cup game I am guessing this will be the same?
    I still love the FA cup but this season it’s going to be rubbish, the excitement of a big draw would be pointless if we can’t go. Let’s face it we aren’t going to be allowed to attend before Easter if at all this season. 
  • clive said:

Confusion over grassroot sports and FA Cup ties

It is not clear how grassroots and amateur sport will be affected, but guidance is being drawn up.

However sources have indicated to BBC Sport that is unlikely that grassroots team sport will be permitted to continue.

Nine of the 40 FA Cup first round ties due to be played over 6-9 November involve teams from "non-elite" leagues.

The Football Association says it is "awaiting further information before we can confirm how this may affect non-elite football across England".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54765522

It would cause chaos if 9 of the ties were postponed until December, which is after the second round matches were due to be played. And if the non elite sides aren't able to play for a month, you could hardly expect them to immediately play a 1st round cup game
  • Just do what the French have done. Suspend the fa cup till the smaller teams can play. 
  • Can anyone confirm whether the game with Plymouth will be streamed? We had to use a different site for the Carabao cup game I am guessing this will be the same?
    So how much did the Swindon game cost and who did we pay?
    I know I streamed  and watched it.
    I ask because I was trying to work this out the other day.
    Cost a tenner and was paid to normal VP service.
  • I know their football lockdown was different, but it feels weird that Celtic and Aberdeen are playing a Scottish Cup semifinal for 2019/20 now! Indeed their 2020/21 competition hasn't started yet
  • se9addick said:
    Charlton 6 Plymouth 4 - one of a few tennis scores we have had - not forgetting Plymouth 6 Charlton 4, of course.

Crazy, seemed to always be the home team racking up big scores (although Charlton manage to score four a couple of times and lose!). Wonder if the travel time (I assume it took about eighteen weeks to get to/from Plymouth in the 1930’s - 60’s) & conditions meant the away team was shattered by the time they got there?
    On this occasion Plymouth would have had the same amount of travelling ie Travelling from London after the game on the 26th to play on 27th. I don't know but I bet there weren't many changes to either side either 
    I am pretty certain Swindon was £10 and through Valley Pass it seemed to change to an independent website for the West Ham game, maybe because they were Premier League and the EFL realised they could make some money out of it. 
    I wonder whether the FA will stream the games. 
    If you can’t stream the Plymouth Game May as well contact them and spin a coin for the result😁. 
  • Sponsored links:

I still love the FA cup but this season it’s going to be rubbish, the excitement of a big draw would be pointless if we can’t go. Let’s face it we aren’t going to be allowed to attend before Easter if at all this season. 
    That Carabao Cup stream was, for me, appalling.
    Much worse than any issues I have had with the Valley Pass stream.
  • Not sure if I have missed a response to this so asking again, is the game against Plymouth going to be available to stream?
  • All FA Cup games have been cleared to be played next weeked.
  • Should have just scrap the cup competitions this season. League only, but instead everything is going to be crammed in with covid cases postponed all over the place. 
  • Listening to Charlton live last night it's sounded to me as though Bowyers not going to give it a go.
    Said the boys have got a decent break after Fleetwood.
  • Listening to Charlton live last night it's sounded to me as though Bowyers not going to give it a go.
    Now there's a shocker, as in recent years we've been famous for our cup exploits  :D
    I should imaging dozens af legaue mangers up and down the country said that last weekend, the FA Cup is dead.
    Now there's a shocker, as in recent years we've been famous for our cup exploits  :D
    We'll have to lose on penalties with not currently conceding.
  • edited November 2020
    Listening to Charlton live last night it's sounded to me as though Bowyers not going to give it a go.
    I should imaging dozens af legaue mangers up and down the country said that last weekend, the FA Cup is dead.
    This year is hopeless for a cup run, with the horribly congested fixture list and the lack of crowds

Yes there would be TV money, but getting to the 3rd round and drawing a big club would feel very hollow without the atmosphere (and revenue) of a packed crowd
  • Just seen that apparently Boreham Wood have told the Southend match reporter he cant attend theor Fa Cup game on Saturday as he is non essential and can watch from home

WTF

So their match reporter is essential but Southends is not