Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Gilbey - Re-signed for MK Dons (p37)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I went to Stevenage once and can safely say it is the worst place I have been to in this country.  It was about 15 years ago but I fail to see it has improved significantly in that time.

Genuinely a memorable place for its shiteness
    It's not great, but I offer you Milton Keynes as competition.
    It is soulless at MK but there were some pretty roundabouts and the whole business park aesthetic is quite cool sometimes.

Stevenage reminded me of 1980’s Thamesmead.  The geographical equivalent of a sweaty groin, or an armpit 
  • Options
    Know a couple of people who never had a choice of where they lived, who loved their time on the "old" stages down Thsmesmead. It was a great community by all accounts. Nowadays, not so much......
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Know a couple of people who never had a choice of where they lived, who loved their time on the "old" stages down Thsmesmead. It was a great community by all accounts. Nowadays, not so much......
    Thamesmead boy here, and can tell you it’s nowhere near as bad as people make out. I’d much rather live here than MK or Stevenage.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Gribbo said:
    Thamesmead boy here, and can tell you it’s nowhere near as bad as people make out. I’d much rather live here than MK or Stevenage.
    But then areas of MK are quite nice. And there's nice countryside and pretty villages just outside Stevenage

I used to work with someone from Hull. He's planning to move back when he's older, but not to Hull itself but the villages just outside where you can buy a lovely house with grounds for the price of a semi in Bexleyheath.
  • Options
    3 goals in 40 games in L2 for the Gilbs. Legend.
  • Options
    Not sure why Stevenage would hate Charlton - what’s that about ? Not exactly near rivals. Charlton loaned them Gilbey & picked up some of his wages. Oh, maybe that’s why ….. Some Footballers though not too bright- MacAuley Bonnes agent should stop him Tweeting.
  • Options
    Beating them in the cup on penalties maybe. I agree seems a bit of an overreaction from them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably just a joke amongst teammates.

Could be celebrating having Gilbey at our expense, encouraging him to stay or maybe he felt mistreated by Charlton. We'll never know the context.

Silly thing to get caught in camera doing but similar things probably happen in the dressing room all the time.
  • Options
    Didn’t look like it was in the dressing room though.
  • Options
    Stevenage fans seem desperate for him to stay

Really hope he goes back there next year, will be great to see them turn on him when they realise League 2 was his level and wonder why he is struggling in league 1 🤣🤣
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Didn’t look like it was in the dressing room though.
    That's probably why it was a silly thing then
  • Options
    Glad hes getting fined. Those 2 quick yellow cards was one of the worst things I'd ever seen.

Knob head 
  • Options
    Glad hes getting fined. Those 2 quick yellow cards was one of the worst things I'd ever seen.

Knob head 
     Each foul was a replica I think?
  • Options
    seems sincere LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a very stupid thing to do however given some of the abuse he got from our own fans while he was still playing for us it's not surprising he might feel like that.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    It was a very stupid thing to do however given some of the abuse he got from our own fans while he was still playing for us it's not surprising he might feel like that.
    Was he playing, though?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't remember him getting abused when he was on the pitch
    Plenty of online abuse, both here and Twitter.
  • Options
    totally agree with his sentiments , i hate this version of Charlton to 
  • Options
    Meh. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
    TBF he’s one of a long list of ‘looked great for another team, but weirdly didn’t do it for us’ players in our ‘lower leagues’ years 
  • Options
    To what?
  • Options
    "we didn't get back to the Championship which I had hoped for"..........no thanks to you and your road-running with the ball off the pitch 'mate'. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    colthe3rd said:
    Chunes said:
    I don't remember him getting abused when he was on the pitch
    Plenty of online abuse, both here and Twitter.
    Sorry, I respectfully disagree. He was dire for two seasons and people will express their opinions on a footballer's performance, especially when it's as consistently subpar as his was. That's fair, I think it's unfair to class that as 'abuse'. A handful might have tweeted him, but unfortunately, that's all part of being a footballer who puts themselves on social media. (Or any public figure for that matter).

Given our performances over recent seasons, I think our players have enjoyed a decent reception from the fans that they generally don't deserve. 
  • Options
    Was excited when he signed , proved to be an absolute letdown. Would assume he goes back to Stevenage.