Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington - now at Derby (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Not sure why he is looking surprised. He did that in a game for us to snatch the last minute winner and belted into the side netting, as if you get a prize for hitting it so hard.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Been struggling at Rotherham and they are close to the drop, not the championship player some thought he was.
  • Options
    His agent deserves an award for getting him that move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    If we could get him back in January 99% of our fans would be thrilled. The other 1% are idiots. 
    The obsession of signing ex players is absolutely weird at this club, especially when they are bang average players. 
    Just down to a lack of knowledge of lower league players (me included). When some of our fans rate a player at another club we seem to really rate them (Stockton, Tucker etc) to the point they’re hyped up as footballing genius.
  • Options
    I liked Washington when we had him. Hard worker and a better goalscorer than he's probably given credit for. The problem is he's the type of player who needs to be playing for a very good team that benefits from him stretching play, or he needs to be an absolute grafter for a team that doesn't see much of the ball. In one of those teams he'll get goals, in the other he'll contribute work rate; he needs to be in a team too good for the division they're in or one that will cling on desperately to survive while not relying on him for goals. He's David Nugent.
    He's not a good finisher. We all know that. If you want a goal out of Washington you need to give him 3 or 4 chances. That's why he's useful in a team that creates a lot of chances, and he can contribute to that with his running. He'd be pretty useless for us right now because other than him being out of place in a 433 we just don't create many chances. People would be screaming bloody murder at him (like they used to) if he were here now because he'd likely fluff the 1 or 2 chances he got a game more than he scored them. He's a Curbs type of player really; a striker who will get you 5-8 goals as part of a rotation system but he'll also make defenders' lives absolutely miserable, pull them around and create gaps that the actual finisher in the team can exploit. We usually had a Mendonca or Johansson (initially), Euell or Bent to do the bulk of the finishing alongside contributions from supporting strikers. Washington was a perfect signing for a Paul Warne team but didn't get much of a chance to work with him before he left.
    I wouldn't want Washington back. Not because I don't rate him but because what we need is an actual finisher, not a grafter
  • Options
    I liked Washington when we had him. Hard worker and a better goalscorer than he's probably given credit for. The problem is he's the type of player who needs to be playing for a very good team that benefits from him stretching play, or he needs to be an absolute grafter for a team that doesn't see much of the ball. In one of those teams he'll get goals, in the other he'll contribute work rate; he needs to be in a team too good for the division they're in or one that will cling on desperately to survive while not relying on him for goals. He's David Nugent.
    He's not a good finisher. We all know that. If you want a goal out of Washington you need to give him 3 or 4 chances. That's why he's useful in a team that creates a lot of chances, and he can contribute to that with his running. He'd be pretty useless for us right now because other than him being out of place in a 433 we just don't create many chances. People would be screaming bloody murder at him (like they used to) if he were here now because he'd likely fluff the 1 or 2 chances he got a game more than he scored them. He's a Curbs type of player really; a striker who will get you 5-8 goals as part of a rotation system but he'll also make defenders' lives absolutely miserable, pull them around and create gaps that the actual finisher in the team can exploit. We usually had a Mendonca or Johansson (initially), Euell or Bent to do the bulk of the finishing alongside contributions from supporting strikers. Washington was a perfect signing for a Paul Warne team but didn't get much of a chance to work with him before he left.
    I wouldn't want Washington back. Not because I don't rate him but because what we need is an actual finisher, not a grafter
    What a load of bs. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    He has a lot of strong qualities to his game, and he never shirked his shift, but he is without a doubt the worst finisher of one-on-ones I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt. 
  • Options
    I would love to see him back, but there is 0% chance of that all the time the Sandgaards are running the club.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Chunes said:
    se9addick said:
    If we could get him back in January 99% of our fans would be thrilled. The other 1% are idiots. 
    I'd be thrilled if we stopped signing former players
    Don’t want Konsa or Gomez then?
    Be realistic!

Don’t just pluck names out of former players who wouldn’t even consider us today, unless they were coming to the end of their career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why would you want him back? And that’s the problem we are always looking back and not forward.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    CafcSCP said:
    Tbf a piece of wooden furniture would be more effective than stockley 
    More of a realistic comparison….
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Why would you want him back? And that’s the problem we are always looking back and not forward.
    Exactly. Ditto for Bonne.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    se9addick said:
    I'd be thrilled if we stopped signing former players
    Don’t want Konsa or Gomez then?
    Be realistic!

Don’t just pluck names out of former players who wouldn’t even consider us today, unless they were coming to the end of their career.
    Sounds painful
  • Options
    Scored the fourth in a crucial win over 3rd placed Blackburn today.
  • Options
    Overpaid journeyman!
  • Options
    Scored the fourth in a crucial win over 3rd placed Blackburn today.
    Millers 23% possession and win 4-0 !
  • Options
    Very much him...scoring the 4th
  • Options
    now moved on to Derby
  • Options
    He’ll do ok there. I’d have taken him as 4th striker, he would have been a good understudy to May although I suspect he values himself higher than that.