Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Explosion in Beirut

Comments

• “Something bad has happened, must have been the Jews”.

just goes to show how much social media has plunged into casual anti semitism. Only have to look at the house of commoners to see that eventually unchecked and unmoderated condoning and denial of anti semitism seeps into the rest of the board. 
  • Off_it said:
    Wow. Just wow. Take a look at this thread. Social media at it's very worst. Disgusting. 
    Don’t go to the house of commoners on here. 
  • Phew. Well that's alright then @Dazzler21. Knock yourself out.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    shine166 said:
    Wtf does this have to do with Corbyn ? Anyone politicising this needs to give there head a wobble... what ever team you support. 
    Go on twitter and see Aaron Bastini and the rest of the cult jumping to that conclusion plus the usual suspects on here.

You're right, anyone trying to politicising it needs to give therir  head  a wobble so read the early posts on this thread jumping to conclusions, throwing politicised conspiracy theories out there and giving out LOLs
      You have Aaron Bastani speculating like a prick about thermobaric weapons. And so on, so forth.

That will be Aaron Bastini of Novaramedia, leading mouthpiece of the Corbyn cult
    That would be Aaron Bastani, who was proven in court to be an anti Muslim racist. 
  • So many experts, we are truly blessed on CL!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    “Something bad has happened, must have been the Jews”.

just goes to show how much social media has plunged into casual anti semitism. Only have to look at the house of commoners to see that eventually unchecked and unmoderated condoning and denial of anti semitism seeps into the rest of the board. 
    You might be being anti-Semitic now, equating Israel to "the Jews". Certainly by the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism that you have cited previously:

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism

"Manifestations might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity."

I appreciate you may well have decided not to engage with my question over on the AS thread, but I am still really confused by your position, particularly re Zionism/anti-Zionism et al. And if you're viewing me as a raging anti-Semite as a result, then there's very little I can do to change your perception, and me saying "I'm about as far from anti-Semitic and discriminatory as can be" won't resonate with you. But there we have it.
    “I’m not anti Semitic, but please repeatedly lay out what is and isnt anti Semitic to me so I can sea lion rather than actually do my own digging”. No thanks, educate yourself. 

calling some one anti Semitic for complaining about anti semitism is literally gaslighting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2020
    seth plum said:
    The explosion and the result of it is grimmer than grim.
    These poor people need our help if we can give it.
    It is not an Arab/Israeli thing, it is a tragedy.
    Scoring points is distasteful to say the least.
    Go to some kind of funding help thing and donate some money, today that is the long and the short of it.
    Global Giving platform have a relief fund: https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/beirut-port-explosion-relief-fund/

Impact Lebanon fundraising page on Just Giving: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/lebanon-relief

I'm sure there will be others set up over the next few days. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    “Something bad has happened, must have been the Jews”.

You might be being anti-Semitic now, equating Israel to "the Jews". Certainly by the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism that you have cited previously:

https://www.holocaustremembrance.com/working-definition-antisemitism

"Manifestations might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity."

I appreciate you may well have decided not to engage with my question over on the AS thread, but I am still really confused by your position, particularly re Zionism/anti-Zionism et al. And if you're viewing me as a raging anti-Semite as a result, then there's very little I can do to change your perception, and me saying "I'm about as far from anti-Semitic and discriminatory as can be" won't resonate with you. But there we have it.
    “I’m not anti Semitic, but please repeatedly lay out what is and isnt anti Semitic to me so I can sea lion rather than actually do my own digging”. No thanks, educate yourself. 

calling some one anti Semitic for complaining about anti semitism is literally gaslighting. 
    I contextualised my questions over in the House of Commoners, and I don't know how much more I can contextualise them. I do my own research and I would say I'm pretty well read. My sister in law and her family are Jewish. I have these discussions on a regular basis, and I really should not have stooped to your level where you make bad faith, misframed, and straw man arguments.

What I am asking for is your definition of these terms, as they do not appear to be consistent with any scholarship or academia or journalism I have engaged with, and your continued refusal to answer the question is puzzling. I am not sea-lioning. I offer up what I believe are the most widely-accepted definitions of some terms (i.e. that Zionism is contingent on a return to Eretz Israel, rather than solely a right to self-determination), and apparently I'm not educating myself by researching my statements? I can give you sources and stuff, if you like.

I'll ask the question a bit differently. And if this is sea-lioning then so be it. Do you believe that Zionism is the support of the Jewish peoples' right to self-determination? Or do you believe it is the right to self-determination but in Eretz Israel? And do you believe anti-Zionism is the opposition to the Jewish peoples' right to self-determination, or do you believe that anti-Zionism is the opposition to Jewish peoples' right to land (and the mechanisms by which is is being/has been acquired) in Eretz Israel?

You were the first person to mention "the Jews" on this thread. Are you now saying that Israel is in fact a code word for "the Jews"? If so, fine. That's your prerogative, though I suspect many people would disagree.

I was being a dickhead by saying you're being anti-Semitic, yes. And I apologise, because you are not anti-Semitic. But it was by the same (absence of) logic you use, incessantly, on this forum, hence my provocation.
  • Suggest we shut this now, i started it as I could see a human tragedy unfolding, never occurred to me that politics would take over, that was never was my intention. Please close.
    This is Charlton life mate
  • Off_it said:
    Phew. Well that's alright then @Dazzler21. Knock yourself out.
    To call it the worst of social media is disrespectful of the bloody brilliant community we have on here. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just to confirm, all I was doing was highlighting this was not simply a firework warehouse going up. No politics, just an interest in explosions, blast radiuses and what might cause them. No more.

The 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate in an insecure environment, I can believe that this would do it. I have seen thousands of videos of explosions, it was clear that this was not *just* fireworks. As it now seems people are admitting to. 
    that's you flagged up on an Mi5 database 
    It's okay, as we've seen they always seem to ignore those they are aware of. 

Plus I have no religious or political agenda, so everyone is safe. 
    Have you ever sung “Built a bonfire”?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just to confirm, all I was doing was highlighting this was not simply a firework warehouse going up. No politics, just an interest in explosions, blast radiuses and what might cause them. No more.

The 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate in an insecure environment, I can believe that this would do it. I have seen thousands of videos of explosions, it was clear that this was not *just* fireworks. As it now seems people are admitting to. 

Not from memory.
  • Wilma said:
    Wilma said:
    seth plum said:
    Go to some kind of funding help thing and donate some money, today that is the long and the short of it.
    Global Giving platform have a relief fund: https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/beirut-port-explosion-relief-fund/

Impact Lebanon fundraising page on Just Giving: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/lebanon-relief

Just to try and get this back on track and away from pointless political posturing, there are a couple of fundraising pages now live - please go over to them and donate. This will make you feel much better than getting your political point scoring tally up! 
    Thanks Wilma, Done. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wilma said:
    Wilma said:
    seth plum said:

Just to try and get this back on track and away from pointless political posturing, there are a couple of fundraising pages now live - please go over to them and donate. This will make you feel much better than getting your political point scoring tally up! 
    Much appreciated Wilma, that’s the kind of information I was hoping to generate.
  • You can also donate to the Lebanese Red Cross, who are working at the explosion site: http://www.redcross.org.lb/SubPage.aspx?pageid=1370&PID=158

• Israel has apparently offered humanitarian aid. 
  • used to work for a Lebanese bank, lovely people, awful tragedy.
  • Similar thing happened with the Covid thread at one stage.....thankfully just about everyone has toned down their political comments.....hard to do of course when political decisions are being made on a daily basis.
    I know little of Palestine other that at one time, not so long ago, it was a wonderful place, that attracted many visitors.
    Bless all those who have been struck by this tragedy, Beirut is going to take a long while to recover, that’s for sure.
    A figure of 300,000 homeless has been suggested!
  • Some of the nicest people I've met in my life have been Syrians and Lebanese - they've really been going through a shit time.
  • edited August 2020
    Awful tragedy and bought a bit closer to home as just heard the offices of the organisation I work for have been severely damaged although thankfully it seems no one who worked there was harmed. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Not from memory.
    From a song sheet?