Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion in Beirut

Comments

• Options
    Pretty sure a few fireworks wouldn't cause most of the surrounding area to be decimated and buildings to collapse.
  • Options
    Pretty sure a few fireworks wouldn't cause most of the surrounding area to be decimated and buildings to collapse.
    The raw materials to make them might.
  • Options
    I kind of expected that from you @DaveMehmet but @EricBanterna come on mate, you’re better than that.......
  • Options
    If that blast was caused by fireworks then I’m transgender dwarf called Marjorie.
    Welcome  to the site Marjorie!
  • Options
    Nothing to do with Israel, so why the tweets?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Nothing to do with Israel, so why the tweets?
    I agree.

You better ask Netanyahu why he released those tweets a few hours before the explosion though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    25 dead, 2500 injured.
  • Options
    25 dead, 2500 injured.
    Be amazed if the numbers don't rise rapidly from that
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Just watched some of the footage - incredible explosion and there will be many more than 25 dead.

one video showed at least 7 or 8 dead and that looked to be a fair distance away. The bodies were absolutely mangled. Can’t see that staying on Twitter for long

RIP to those unlucky to be in the blast zone
  • Options
    Extraordinary......I’ve never seen anything like it.......aside from Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were of course nuclear and happened in a much different set of circumstances.
    I am going to has at a guess and say this is the biggest explosion ever.......other than nuclear testing or those dropped on Japan.

• Options
    Just hope it ain't foul play. That's some fucking explosion. 
  • Options
    Extraordinary......I’ve never seen anything like it.......aside from Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were of course nuclear and happened in a much different set of circumstances.
    I am going to has at a guess and say this is the biggest explosion ever.......other than nuclear testing or those dropped on Japan.

Kracatoa might disagree with you!

That footage is going to join a select group of images in history, up there with the Twin Towers.
  • Options

• Options

Kracatoa might disagree with you!

That footage is going to join a select group of images in history, up there with the Twin Towers.
    Mmmmm.....maybe?
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    The raw materials to make them might.

It looked like a very fast explosion, the visible shockwave is caused by a supersonic expansion of gas.  Fireworks burn fairly slowly compared with military explosives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Now that’s most interesting 🧐 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    RIP to the dozens of people who have lost their lives in this incident.  It appears that the blast was the result of ammonium nitrate/sodium nitrate exploding.  2,750 tons of the chemical had been offloaded in the port a few months ago and the ship was still in port awaiting an auction of the chemicals.  

Why that quantity of highly explosive chemicals would be stored in a populous city and in a warehouse complex also used to store fireworks, I have no idea.  

Literally a disaster waiting to happen.  

That sounds about right.  Reminds me of the big fertilizer factory explosion in Texas a few years back.  That was a massive blast and they only had about 30 tons of the stuff in storage
  • Options
    Sorry, how do we know Israel was not involved?
  • Options
    I could make an educated guess at who has the capability for this and who also might stand to benefit from the diversion of trade.
  • Options
    Fucks sake. Less than six hours in and already the Middle East political dynamicists and thermo explosive experts are at it.

None of you know a fucking thing about what happened yet. Why don't you all just shut up and wait for a bit eh? 
    Hence the question. It was literally a question, but there goes the hair trigger. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Fucks sake. Less than six hours in and already the Middle East political dynamicists and thermo explosive experts are at it.

None of you know a fucking thing about what happened yet. Why don't you all just shut up and wait for a bit eh? 
    Hence the question. It was literally a question, but there goes the hair trigger. 
    TBF it is a bit of a pointless question at this stage. 

How do we know that Vanuatu is not involved?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Mother owns a boat and next to the marina is a warehouse housing tanker sized boatloads of Ammonium nitrate. She has balloted the local MP and council about the danger of having such a material so close to residential homes. There are regulations but money talks and rules walk. A side issues is the stuff blows across the town and locals say is causes breathing problems and the ash corrodes paintwork where it settles. This could happen in the UK (if Ammonium nitrate is found to be the cause). 

BBC news is reporting an Ammonium nitrate store that has been there since 2014, is the expected fuel for the blast.