Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Weds Decision 12 points Next season

Comments

• Options
    7 clubs backing us.
    Does this mean 16 don't back us?
    More likely 16 yet to respond. 
  • Options
    Who sits on the panel that made this decision? 
  • Options
    Morons. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    The independent panel was made up of three persons. One that Sheffield Wednesday recommended, one the EFL recommended, and an independent chairman.
    No mention of where he comes from or who offers him the job. All Legally trained - so that’s OK then.

About as un independent as you can get IMO.  
    Your kidding - Please whoosh me for believing this?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    The independent panel was made up of three persons. One that Sheffield Wednesday recommended, one the EFL recommended, and an independent chairman.
    No mention of where he comes from or who offers him the job. All Legally trained - so that’s OK then.

Sadly not.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    7 clubs backing us.
    Does this mean 16 don't back us?
    More likely 16 yet to respond. 
    You can probably rule out Leeds and West brom as they won't care. Safe to say Derby won't be piping up either. And Wednesday themselves already makes 4.
  • Options
    If we get 12 clubs supporting us, plus us, surely a majority ruling will have to be taken into consideration as the league members?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Most legal tribunals on the European mainland are set up that way with both sides appointing an expert and an independent chairman found - it’s not just a football thing. That was why the Man City appeal to CAS was set up that way.

It’s the UK that differs from the norm expecting purely independent panels / judges to be appointed. In this sense the EFL are behaving more like other (governing) bodies.

It remains to be seen if the EFL challenge this decision - I’m not holding my breath. I also presume our own “new owners” haven’t moved beyond considering a response to precipitating any action. Perhaps they are having difficulty finding someone with legal expertise they can helicopter 🚁 in before the end of this season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EFL got another email yesterday contesting their conduct.  If anybody's got the contact details of any other parties who might bring pressure to bear on EFL please share.

message was

As a lifelong football supporter I am deeply concerned that EFL’s conduct in the Sheffield Wednesday overspending issue undermines the fundamental integrity of the Championship competition and the game as a whole.

It is a matter of record that Sheffield Wednesday (SW) were charged with the spending breach in November 2019.  Fully 8 months later a hearing found them guilty of a breach. Nowhere have I found even an attempt by EFL to justify the delay in executing investigations and instigating the hearing.  The COVID issue might have brought about some weeks of interruption, but in truth there was no justification for action to have been delayed even into March 2020.  A delay of this magnitude and the absence of any justification whatever goes way beyond even monumental inefficiency.

We are now told that the points deduction penalty is to be imposed in the 2020/21 season.  I cannot find the direct quote but justification for this is apparently sought in the notion that the penalty can’t be imposed in 2019/20 because the season is already finished.  This is manifestly false as the Championship season does not end until 4 August 2020.  You can’t have it both ways.  You can’t use a late judgement as the excuse to defer punishment when the business of the judgement was delayed for no good reason at all.

Indeed, deferral of the punishment ensures that any notion of justice is utterly defeated in this matter.  Points deduction in 20/21 permits SW an additional year to plan for the consequence.  The very breach, of which they are guilty, enabled them to compete with an unfair advantage for 3 seasons from 15/16 to 17/18.  I put it to you that as arbiters of the regulations and stewards of the competition you have been on notice as to SW’s potential rule breaking since early 2017 when SW’s 15/16 accounts were published.  From which point a diligent and equable arbiter would have kept SW’s finances under scrutiny.  To rely on the date of publication of SW’s 17/18 accounts as the reasonable starting point for EFL to pay attention to SW’s overspending is risible.  In essence SW were at an unfair advantage for fully 4 seasons and now suffer no tangible penalty.

The impotence of EFL around SW’s misconduct is inconsistent with Birmingham’s similar issue a season before.  Birmingham had a 9 point deduction imposed immediately for their transgression.  How are we to interpret the fact that, Birmingham’s penalty demoted them just 3 places with no realistic likelihood of subsequent relegation but an immediate imposition of SW’s penalty should relegate them?  

EFL’s reaction to the penalty handed to Macclesfield Town was also starkly different to EFL’s conduct with SW.

All of that in the context of negligible communication from EFL added to the opacity of the investigative process and hearing leaves we football supporters with the overwhelming impression that EFL have at no point been remotely concerned that justice be done in the SW case.    SW’s placing in the 19/20 season obviously has huge significance for at least one and possibly two other clubs.  Hence my contention that the integrity of that competition has been fundamentally undermined, principally by EFL’s conduct in this matter.

I look forward to your comments on the issues raised and will be particularly interested to hear any additional facts and clarifications which could serve to illuminate football supporters’ understanding of EFL’s standpoint on this ignominious affair.

Yours faithfully

Great letter. Love that to be put to Rick Parry, strapped to a chair with a naked flame under his bollox. 
  • Options
    EFL got another email yesterday contesting their conduct.  If anybody's got the contact details of any other parties who might bring pressure to bear on EFL please share.

message was

As a lifelong football supporter I am deeply concerned that EFL’s conduct in the Sheffield Wednesday overspending issue undermines the fundamental integrity of the Championship competition and the game as a whole.

It is a matter of record that Sheffield Wednesday (SW) were charged with the spending breach in November 2019.  Fully 8 months later a hearing found them guilty of a breach. Nowhere have I found even an attempt by EFL to justify the delay in executing investigations and instigating the hearing.  The COVID issue might have brought about some weeks of interruption, but in truth there was no justification for action to have been delayed even into March 2020.  A delay of this magnitude and the absence of any justification whatever goes way beyond even monumental inefficiency.

We are now told that the points deduction penalty is to be imposed in the 2020/21 season.  I cannot find the direct quote but justification for this is apparently sought in the notion that the penalty can’t be imposed in 2019/20 because the season is already finished.  This is manifestly false as the Championship season does not end until 4 August 2020.  You can’t have it both ways.  You can’t use a late judgement as the excuse to defer punishment when the business of the judgement was delayed for no good reason at all.

Indeed, deferral of the punishment ensures that any notion of justice is utterly defeated in this matter.  Points deduction in 20/21 permits SW an additional year to plan for the consequence.  The very breach, of which they are guilty, enabled them to compete with an unfair advantage for 3 seasons from 15/16 to 17/18.  I put it to you that as arbiters of the regulations and stewards of the competition you have been on notice as to SW’s potential rule breaking since early 2017 when SW’s 15/16 accounts were published.  From which point a diligent and equable arbiter would have kept SW’s finances under scrutiny.  To rely on the date of publication of SW’s 17/18 accounts as the reasonable starting point for EFL to pay attention to SW’s overspending is risible.  In essence SW were at an unfair advantage for fully 4 seasons and now suffer no tangible penalty.

The impotence of EFL around SW’s misconduct is inconsistent with Birmingham’s similar issue a season before.  Birmingham had a 9 point deduction imposed immediately for their transgression.  How are we to interpret the fact that, Birmingham’s penalty demoted them just 3 places with no realistic likelihood of subsequent relegation but an immediate imposition of SW’s penalty should relegate them?  

EFL’s reaction to the penalty handed to Macclesfield Town was also starkly different to EFL’s conduct with SW.

All of that in the context of negligible communication from EFL added to the opacity of the investigative process and hearing leaves we football supporters with the overwhelming impression that EFL have at no point been remotely concerned that justice be done in the SW case.    SW’s placing in the 19/20 season obviously has huge significance for at least one and possibly two other clubs.  Hence my contention that the integrity of that competition has been fundamentally undermined, principally by EFL’s conduct in this matter.

I look forward to your comments on the issues raised and will be particularly interested to hear any additional facts and clarifications which could serve to illuminate football supporters’ understanding of EFL’s standpoint on this ignominious affair.

Yours faithfully

Great letter. Love that to be put to Rick Parry, strapped to a chair with a naked flame under his bollox. 
    I'll forego the chair and torture for the moment Golfie, but if you've got Parry's contact details I'll send him this directly.
  • Options

message was

Yours faithfully

Pretty safe bet that Parry doesnt have any bollox
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53637173

Charlton have the support of at least eight rival clubs as they consider legally challenging an independent panel's decision not to relegate Sheffield Wednesday.

Wednesday have had a 12-point deduction imposed on them for next season for historical breaches of spending rules.

If punished in 2019-20, Wednesday would have been relegated and Charlton spared from the drop to League One.

Charlton have contacted the English Football League about the situation.

The Addicks expressed their disappointment in talks, although the decision to impose the points penalty on Wednesday was taken by an independent disciplinary panel.

Charlton, whose ownership situation is being scrutinised by the EFL, said they would write to the league to ask for an explanation why the points penalty would not immediately be applied.

BBC Sport has been told by a club source that Charlton contacted clubs to gauge support and received "eight or nine" messages in response, lending their backing.

Charlton Athletic Supporters' Trust (CAST) echoed a club statement in saying the handing of Wednesday's penalty was "unjust and illogical" after the Yorkshire club were first charged in November 2019 and the hearing conducted in June.

Relegation from the Championship has been complicated this season by financial issues surrounding clubs.

As well as the Wednesday situation, Wigan Athletic are appealing against their own 12-point deduction for going into administration - a punishment triggered by EFL rules relating to insolvency events, which left them in the relegation zone alongside Charlton.

• Options
    Really hope we are seriously pushing this, and it’s not just cheap talk from the club! 

Would be a great way to keep our league position, as well as help change football for the better! 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53637173

Great photo of Lockyer and opponent, kicking off this article.  The power and athleticism - and note the definition of muscle in our player behind - perfectly illustrate one of the greatest qualities of the sport. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sent via usual EFL contact form plus direct to Parry, Jevans and Bazalgette. Really couldn't be bothered to add anything further. Just made me feel better for sending it!
     ------------------------------------------

I am sure you will already have seen or been copied on Martin Samuel's piece in today's Daily Mail (reference link below). Yet more comment on the ineptitude of the EFL!

Like all Charlton supporters, I continue to be amazed at the delay in coming to a final determination regarding East Street Investment's ability to meet the EFL requirements. And then to top that, we see the incredible decision last week of the independent panel appointed by the EFL to defer Sheffield Wednesday's 12 points deduction until next season rather than the current season - I say "current" as the play-off final between Brentford and Fulham is being played this evening. In the meantime all that emanates from the EFL are either media releases or stock responses from your Supporters Services Department. 

As an executive team you are completely missing from action, showing absolutely no visibility or leadership. For goodness sake, start showing some gumption.

Regards,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8589607/MARTIN-SAMUEL-ticket-Championship-like-chopper-leaving-Saigon.html
  • Options
    Surely most Championship clubs would WANT the deduction to be next season. It’ll do them all a favour.
  • Options
    This is how I see it in a nutshell

Wigan who didn't cheat but were betrayed by their owners are docked 12 points this season and are relegated

Sheffield Weds who did cheat at the behest of their owner are not docked 12 points this season and are not relegated thus retaining Championship status and benefiting from the  their Sky-bet TV money next season.

Wigan will not win their appeal as the 12 point penalty is automatic - it did not go to Independent Disciplinary Commission (IDC).

Unless the EFL  appeal the timing of the sanction and/or the points deduction Sheff  Weds will take the hit.

The EFL will not decide whether to appeal the IDC decision until they have received the IDC decision making process which as far as I am aware they have not. Yet another delay then - presumably the IDC decision as to why the 12 point penalty is deferred will appear only after the start of next season if what has happened so far is anything to judge by. 

As we have seen from earlier postings - one EFL member sits on the IDC  and there was one rep from Sheff Weds. If there is an appeal mounted then the ELF member on the IDC is going to look very foolish for having agreed the original decision and timing of the sanction.

What do you think the chances are of an EFL appeal?

Presumably the EFL PR boys are onto this one as well and will announce that there is to be no EFL appeal about 12 hours before the kick-off of the European Championship Final - isn't that how it works now?
  • Options
    Barnsley wont though
  • Options
    FWIW I've copied SkyBet's CEO in on the complaint to EFL over their non-punishment of SheffWeds.
  • Options
    Wigan lost their appeal today and they also said Wednesday deduction was a disciplinary penalty so not the same is that is screwed?
  • Options
    Us screwed