Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Weds Decision 12 points Next season

Comments

• Options
    No matter what sort of penalty, they should have been penalised this season, not next.
  • Options
    Thanks to the Charlton fan for this  B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w_PBeMLRv0
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    7 clubs backing us.
    Does this mean 16 don't back us?
    More likely 16 yet to respond. 
    You can probably rule out Leeds and West brom as they won't care. Safe to say Derby won't be piping up either. And Wednesday themselves already makes 4.
    Even if they were sympathetic I assume that those currently with reps on the 9 person EFL board (Bristol City, Reading and yes, Derby) might find it difficult if their clubs openly supported Charlton. All you can hope is that they do so behind the scenes at the EFL but hardly likely the Derby representative will.
  • Options

proper old school ground Brammell Lane and that's one of my favourite football songs.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    @Coyotejohn1947 Have you checked they didn't put them out last night during the playoff final?
  • Options

Belter of a video that. Bramall Lane was very loud that day.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

proper old school ground Brammell Lane and that's one of my favourite football songs.
    Bramall Lane has been developed over the years but still remains as a real traditional football stadium.
    There are plans in place to extend the kop and south stand, should take the capacity up to near the 38 - 40k mark.
    I went to the Valley twice to see United, once in the Premiership season,  it has a feel like Bramall Lane, thoroughly enjoyed the visits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Belter of a video that. Bramall Lane was very loud that day.
    The Greasy chip buttie song in that video has been sung for years by United fans.
    The youngsters today sing it a bit to fast  :D

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I will be watching out to see what the EFL do, it is another crazy decision. Not sure why the punishment was not imposed straight away. 
    Genuinely hope it comes good for Charlton and other championship clubs get behind your club.
  • Options

Sheffield Wednesday have the right to appeal and that could easily go into October - if they had been relegated by applying the points deduction this season then a successful appeal would have thrown the fixture list into utter confusion. If they appeal and win then the 12 points can be rescinded without it impacting on the fixtures.
    The decision by the disciplinary panel was not based on natural justice but on pragmatism. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The 3 day hearing started on the 23rd June. If was bought forward because Barnsley threatened legal action. Why it was not held much much earlier is a mystery. Let us be generous and say it took as long to decide the punishment as it did to hear the evidence, and then double it, the punishment should have been announced on the 3rd of July. At the very latest.

That would have allowed a full four weeks for an appeal to be heard. Not forgetting that no fresh evidence is allowed at an appeal, so say 14 days to get your appeal in. There should be no way that an appeal hearing would take as long - so say a day. All could have been done and dusted before the end of the season if there was a will to do so. Like Wigan in fact.

The fact is that there was no “will to do so”. The EFL should explain why that was so.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Sheffield Wednesday have the right to appeal and that could easily go into October - if they had been relegated by applying the points deduction this season then a successful appeal would have thrown the fixture list into utter confusion. If they appeal and win then the 12 points can be rescinded without it impacting on the fixtures.
    The decision by the disciplinary panel was not based on natural justice but on pragmatism. 
    Then they should have had the disciplinary hearing earlier.....or been quicker getting the verdict out. Although your reasoning makes sense it is no excuse for effectively delaying things for 8 months so that (in the end) the punishment does not fit the crime).

I'm not an apologist for the EFL - they are the biggest bunch of useless c*nts going (apart from the mob trying to buy us) - I'm just stating the reality. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Then they should have had the disciplinary hearing earlier.....or been quicker getting the verdict out. Although your reasoning makes sense it is no excuse for effectively delaying things for 8 months so that (in the end) the punishment does not fit the crime).

But unless the punishment is handed out when the crime took place (2 years ago) then it doesn't really make a difference when it is applied.  Why would they rush the hearing when there's no way the punishment can be applied to the correct season.

@bobmunro s reasoning above is the first time this has really made sense to me.
  • Options
    Wonder if RD will sue EFL as their decission has cost him £1.5M.
  • Options
    So presumably our useless bunch of wankers that now own the club (whoever they are) are going to do nothing and simply let the EFL shit on us.

Call yourself a solicitor Farnell your having a laugh.
  • Options
    If we take legal action we are likely to get nothing. If in the unlikely event we were successful then it would be a financial pay day in a few years time. Timescales involved mean this is now essentially done.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would be funny if they appeal and the punishment is applied now as a result, as what should happen.
  • Options
    Would be funny if they appeal and the punishment is applied now as a result, as what should happen.
    You know that if the boot was on the other foot our appeal would be dismissed as frivolous and punishment upgraded to 24-point penalty next season as we'd already been relegated.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    bobmunro said:

But unless the punishment is handed out when the crime took place (2 years ago) then it doesn't really make a difference when it is applied.  Why would they rush the hearing when there's no way the punishment can be applied to the correct season.

@bobmunro s reasoning above is the first time this has really made sense to me.
    Well, I see how that argument of course stacks up but you must remember that the IDC had reached a position in March 2020 (following 5 months of investigation as I understand it to have been) to drop the charges against the individuals at Sheff Weds but not the club.

Why then did it take another 4 months to issue the decision against the club?
    And cynically and nakedly to release that decision on the eve of the Cup Final so that the story would be 'buried' somewhat during the subsequent days media.

There's pragmatism and there's just plain deviousness and this whole thing suggests both were in play at the expense of rational and fair decision making,

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wishing Charlton good luck with this. Two things, Wednesday were lucky that the independent panel set the punishment at only -12 points, also that the points are carried over to next season.
    If you read the full story, they committed fraud and deception. The sale of their stadium, to themselves, was back dated by over a year, the price was inflated and no money was ever transferred by the sale. 
    The owner, created new companies and moved the sale around, this was done over one year after the FFP had shown them to have overspent. They will get hit next season with a further charge.
    Not to mention the illegal sponsorship deals, also designed to help them with FFP. Isn't there a fake taxi (no not that one) company that don't actually exist as a taxi firm sponsoring them? Basically another dodgy company set up by Chansiri .

How have they been able to get away with this?
  • Options
    I wrote to the EFL on the !st August a copy of my email is on page 6 of this thread. Below is a response I have received in the last few minutes. Basically they passed the whole case, including sanctions, to an Independent Commission...i.e a cop-out!!

Hello Malc

Thank you for your email.

While I note your views on this matter, it is first worth clarifying that one of the main responsibilities of the EFL is to enforce and uphold its rules and regulations, as agreed by and on behalf of all member Clubs, in order to maintain sporting integrity.

In November 2019 the EFL issued Sheffield Wednesday with a charge relating to breaches of its Profitability and Sustainability (P&S) rules. Since then the matter has been in the hands of the Independent Disciplinary Commission, and it is the Commission themselves who has responsibility for reaching a decision on any potential sanction, following representations from both parties. While we share the view that these matters should be concluded as quickly as possible, due to the complex and legal nature of the charges, the process can take a significant period of time to be resolved.

The panel conducted a full hearing at the end of June 2020, before finding Sheffield Wednesday guilty based on the fact that the Club should not have included profits from the sale of Hillsborough Stadium in financial statements for the period ending July 2018. The panel therefore decided the Club will face a 12 point deduction, and that this would take effect in season 2020/21.

For absolute clarity, while EFL rules determine the application of points deductions for an insolvency event, such as Administration (in the case of Wigan Athletic), the decision and timing of any sanctions determined by an Independent Disciplinary Commission, is entirely at their discretion.

I hope that has provided further clarity in relation to your query and thank you for contacting the EFL.

Regards,

Jessica

Supporter Services Department

EFL

• Options
    I wrote to the EFL on the !st August a copy of my email is on page 6 of this thread. Below is a response I have received in the last few minutes. Basically they passed the whole case, including sanctions, to an Independent Commission...i.e a cop-out!!

Hello Malc

Thank you for your email.

While I note your views on this matter, it is first worth clarifying that one of the main responsibilities of the EFL is to enforce and uphold its rules and regulations, as agreed by and on behalf of all member Clubs, in order to maintain sporting integrity.

In November 2019 the EFL issued Sheffield Wednesday with a charge relating to breaches of its Profitability and Sustainability (P&S) rules. Since then the matter has been in the hands of the Independent Disciplinary Commission, and it is the Commission themselves who has responsibility for reaching a decision on any potential sanction, following representations from both parties. While we share the view that these matters should be concluded as quickly as possible, due to the complex and legal nature of the charges, the process can take a significant period of time to be resolved.

The panel conducted a full hearing at the end of June 2020, before finding Sheffield Wednesday guilty based on the fact that the Club should not have included profits from the sale of Hillsborough Stadium in financial statements for the period ending July 2018. The panel therefore decided the Club will face a 12 point deduction, and that this would take effect in season 2020/21.

For absolute clarity, while EFL rules determine the application of points deductions for an insolvency event, such as Administration (in the case of Wigan Athletic), the decision and timing of any sanctions determined by an Independent Disciplinary Commission, is entirely at their discretion.

I hope that has provided further clarity in relation to your query and thank you for contacting the EFL.

Regards,

Jessica

EFL

I received an identical response this morning from Danny in the Supporters Services Department.
  • Options

Hello Valley Ant

Thank you for your e-mail

While I note your vi­ews on this matter, it is first worth cl­arifying that one of the main responsibi­lities of the EFL is to enforce and up­hold its rules and regulations, as agreed by and on behalf of all member Clubs, in order to maintain sporting integrity.

In November 2019 the EFL issued Sheffield Wednesday with a charge relating to br­eaches of its Profit­ability and Sustaina­bility (P&S) rules. Since then the mat­ter has been in the hands of the Indepen­dent Disciplinary Co­mmission, and it is the Commission thems­elves who has respon­sibility for reaching a decision on any potential sanction, following representa­tions from both part­ies. While we share the view that these matters should be concluded as quickly as possible, due to the complex and leg­al nature of the cha­rges, the process can take a significant period of time to be resolved.

The panel conducted a full hearing at the end of June 2020, before finding Sheff­ield Wednesday guilty based on the fact that the Club shou­ld not have included profits from the sa­le of Hillsborough Stadium in financial statements for the period ending July 20­18. The panel theref­ore decided the Club will face a 12 point deduction, and that this would take ef­fect in season 2020/­21.

For absolute clarity, while EFL rules de­termine the applicat­ion of points deduct­ions for an insolven­cy event, such as Ad­ministration (in the case of Wigan Ath­letic), the decision and timing of any sanctions determined by an Independent Di­sciplinary Commissio­n, is entirely at th­eir discretion.

Kind Regard

Danny

EFL