Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our starting XI 20/21

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    Really do not wanting Doughty being wasted at LB in L1!
    Wouldn't be wasted if he was overlapping an equally threatening player in front of him. Imagine a Holmes or Lookman type of player cutting in to shoot or pass, with Doughty offering pace and width on the outside.
    Whos that then? we dont really have any pacey wingers. Personally i feel he should be pushed to out and out winger and leave the defending to someone behind purrington/whoever, he will cause alot more problems if he doesn't have to track back. Its all about whether we have the personnel to accomodate that, which is debatable. 

I agree he will be half wasted as a wing back eg. 3-5-2, still useful but i see him causing alot more problems as a front 3 or with 2 proper wingers. 
    I actually have another theory on the lad, he should be moulded into a forward.  If he can master finishing, I think he ticks all the boxes, and a lot of good forwards with pace start off as wingers so it wouldn’t be unusual.
    A certain Monsieur Henry, for example.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    Really do not wanting Doughty being wasted at LB in L1!
    Wouldn't be wasted if he was overlapping an equally threatening player in front of him. Imagine a Holmes or Lookman type of player cutting in to shoot or pass, with Doughty offering pace and width on the outside.
    Whos that then? we dont really have any pacey wingers. Personally i feel he should be pushed to out and out winger and leave the defending to someone behind purrington/whoever, he will cause alot more problems if he doesn't have to track back. Its all about whether we have the personnel to accomodate that, which is debatable. 

I agree he will be half wasted as a wing back eg. 3-5-2, still useful but i see him causing alot more problems as a front 3 or with 2 proper wingers. 
    I actually have another theory on the lad, he should be moulded into a forward.  If he can master finishing, I think he ticks all the boxes, and a lot of good forwards with pace start off as wingers so it wouldn’t be unusual.
    A certain Monsieur Henry, for example.
    Precisely.  And same applies to Ronaldo (Portuguese one)
  • Options
    Update: Taking Matthews out now, didn’t appear in the EFL trophy due to “assessing his options” and what with our embargo not going away for at least a week, I think it’s a safe bet that we won’t see him again.

Amos
    Wiredu, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington
    Pratley 
    Morgan, Gilbey
    Williams
    Bonne, Washington

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey, Oztumer, Aneke, Davidson.

Rest of squad: Vennings, Dempsey

On the assumption are leaving but under contract: Phillips, Doughty.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Update: Taking Matthews out now, didn’t appear in the EFL trophy due to “assessing his options” and what with our embargo not going away for at least a week, I think it’s a safe bet that we won’t see him again.

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan, Gilbey
    Williams
    Bonne, Washington

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey, Oztumer, Aneke, Davidson.

Lapslie will start ahead of weirdu and Phillips and doughty will both be on the bench, doughty May even start depending on formation used.

edit

forster caskey for Morgan? Morgan is a talent but is he ready to be a regular starter?
  • Options

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan, Gilbey
    Williams
    Bonne, Washington

Lapslie will start ahead of weirdu and Phillips and doughty will both be on the bench, doughty May even start depending on formation used.
    Yes, no reason to assume Doughty will leave. Unlike Dillon, there isn't a direct replacement for him in the squad AND Bowyer  hasn't been "talking up" his departure
  • Options

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan, Gilbey
    Williams
    Bonne, Washington

Where has Wiredu been all pre-season?
  • Options
    IR94 said:

Amos
    Pratley 
    Morgan, Gilbey
    Williams
    Bonne, Washington

Where has Wiredu been all pre-season?
    Good question, I did think that, but I’ve just put him in that XI as he’s the only one who actually plays there.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    We need a centre back as a matter of urgency, Lapslie at RB would do a job in league one, but you can see towering league one forwards battering us down the middle with lack of centre halves, just look at that AFC Wimbledon second goal the other night, so easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Update: Levitt signed on loan, and taking Wiredu out as it appears he’s not in Bows plans.

Amos
    Oshilaja, Pratley, Pearce, Purrington
    Levitt
    Morgan, Gilbey
    Williams
    Bonne, Washington

Under contract but assume will leave: Phillips, Doughty.
  • Options
    Midfield complete I think, even looks strong on the bench in league one, defence the obvious weakness at least two more needed, probably three.  And I still think a striker.
  • Options
    Midfield complete I think, even looks strong on the bench in league one, defence the obvious weakness at least two more needed, probably three.  And I still think a striker.
    No right backs atm in the squad so need at least 2

2 centre backs min as pearce never stays fit for a whole season and only got oshilaja atm

and another lb to fight with purrington

thats at least 5 needed in defense
  • Options
    Amos
    Deji, Pearce, Purrington, Doughty
    Pratley, Levitt
    Lapslie, Gilbey, Morgan, JFC
    Williams, Oztumer
    Aneke, Washington, Bonne

I make that 16 senior (ish) players. Definitely need at least 3 defenders and a striker as the absolute bare minimum. I'd like another defender, midfielder and winger on top making a squad of 23. 

Not 100% sure we need 2 RB's as both Deji and Lapslie can do a job too (plus Wiredu if he stayed). So if we sign another 2 CB's I'd be content with that, especially if we have enough CM's to allow Lapslie to cover RB. Lapslie and Doughty could be used as wing backs. 
  • Options
    Going with the salary cap:
    Amos, Deji, Pearce, Purrington, Pratley, Lapslie, JFC, Williams, Oztumer, Aneke and Bonne all take the divisional average which is about 1.8k per player (I presume they are all on at least that including bonuses). I don't believe Levitt, Doughty and Morgan count. 

This amounts to just over 1 million PA. So in theory, Gilbey, Washington and anyone else we can sign can go to nearly 1.5million. If we were to sign let's say 5 more players who have to be counted, that's around 4k a week per player which isn't too bad. 

The real struggle will be the failure for promotion as you would expect quite a few of the above to be on 3k+. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Amos
    Deji, Pearce, Purrington, Doughty
    Pratley, Levitt
    Lapslie, Gilbey, Morgan, JFC
    Williams, Oztumer
    Aneke, Washington, Bonne

I make that 16 senior (ish) players. Definitely need at least 3 defenders and a striker as the absolute bare minimum. I'd like another defender, midfielder and winger on top making a squad of 23. 

Not 100% sure we need 2 RB's as both Deji and Lapslie can do a job too (plus Wiredu if he stayed). So if we sign another 2 CB's I'd be content with that, especially if we have enough CM's to allow Lapslie to cover RB. Lapslie and Doughty could be used as wing backs. 
    Looks thin 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Have to disagree unfortunately, especially the bench part.

Maynard-Brewer - no experience in professional men’s football. Highest level he’s played at is National League for a very small handful of games. Talented young keeper sure, but cannot be relied on as a number 2. Needs a loan.

Barker - Only 17 and as Bow has said, needs to now push and play regularly for U23s. Cannot be expected to play a part this season.

Lapslie - Big year ahead for him where he needs to put a marker down on the team if he is to progress. He’s 23 now, young still, but not a kid anymore. For example, only a year younger than Purrington but 3 years older than Morgan. Also never had a run in the team which shows his lack of real consistency. It’s his attitude which makes him an option at right back.

Forster-Caskey - good enough for this league, granted. He also would not be happy if he’s behind Levitt, even if he is a good young player. Forster-Caskey needs to a good season too, he’s 26 now and it’s been 2 years since his ACL.

Oztumer - should be a great player for this league. Proven record where he scores goals. Fit him in right and we shouldn’t have any problems.

Aneke - strength, power, and directness all make him an asset at this level. Keep him fit, which he has been for the vast majority of this calendar year, and he could have a big season.

Davison - improved a lot since he joined. At his stage of development, he now needs to be playing regularly. U23s is no good anymore for him. He needs a loan, probably in League Two.

Therefore, out of the 7, I would say 3 are 100% strong enough for the squad, 1 of them needs to put a marker on the team and kick on, the others either need a loan or to be given time to develop and learn.

We also need two right backs, two centre backs, a left back, I think another keeper if/when Phillips goes, another one or two wingers, and another striker. That’s up to 9 more players to sign after Levitt joining what is yesterday now.

People may think that’s too many, but we can’t rely on our young players to carry us through or make up the numbers as we simply won’t be strong enough in this league. It’s a tough league with more midweek fixtures now due to the late start, that means less recovery time and more injuries.

The 18 you named needs a lot of work to it yet. It includes a 35 year old Darren Pratley, Pearce who always has an injury during the season like now, Levitt who has never played a full season, he could do great but he’s unlikely to have the impact that Gallagher did, Morgan who can’t be expected to start each week and has a lot of positional and defensive learning to do, Williams who will likely be injured at some point this season, some would say the same about Forster-Caskey and Aneke.

The squad needs a lot of work.

I don’t mean to sound so pessimistic, just trying to be realistic. You have to look at the quality of the squads which have been promoted from this league over the last few years and see that without a good influx of decent players, we won’t have enough to sustain any kind of real pressure on the better sides this season. 
    I meant our midfield is strong on the bench not GK/defence.

Im not sure many sides in this league will have as good as JFC or Oztumer as subs personally, most teams have kids on the bench in the third tier.

But as you and a few have mentioned, defence is alarmingly thin.  I think a RB is obvious, plus two centre backs.

I dunno about anyone else but I’m clinging to the hope that Sandgaard will let us have a marquee signing, a proven goal scorer.
  • Options
    A few weeks ago Bowyer said we need a finisher to replace Taylor (and that was after Washington signed) so I’d expect a striker to come in.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-we-still-need-to-make-ten-signings-to-compete-in-league-one-this-season/
  • Options
    More confirmation we‘re after a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeez...that's a very thin squad. Can just about put out 11 plus subs if everyone is fit.

I really don't have a problem with Barker starting on Saturday though. The lad has earned his place, so let's see if he can grab his chance!

Remember Rufus coming into the side at a similar age, and he turned out alright.

Still need reinforcements, but until they arrive it's a great opportunity for some of the young lads to stake a claim. We have an excellent academy, some of these lads just need a chance, just like Doughty got last year.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Update: Matthews and Watson coming in, and also think it’s more than likely Doughty will stay.

Amos
    Matthews, Oshilaja, Pearce, Purrington
    Pratley
    Gilbey, Watson
    Doughty, Bonne, Washington

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey, Levitt, Williams, Aneke.

Rest of squad: Vennings, Dempsey, Morgan, Oztumer, Davidson.

Under contract but assume will leave: Phillips.
  • Options
    Update: Famewo signed.

Amos
    Oshilaja, Pearce, Famewo
    Matthews, Pratley, Watson, Doughty 
    Gilbey
    Bonne, Washington

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Levitt, Williams, Aneke.

Rest of squad: Vennings, Dempsey, Lapslie, Morgan, Oztumer, Davidson.

• Options
    Update: Maddison signed, removing Matthews also as it sounds like Bowyer got other options lined up and removing Bonne as there’s been strong indications he’s off.

Amos
    Oshilaja, Pearce, Famewo, Purrington
    Levitt, Gilbey, Watson, 
    Maddison, Washington, Doughty

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Barker, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey, Pratley, Williams, Aneke.

Rest of squad: Vennings, Dempsey, Morgan, Oztumer, Davidson.

Under contract but assume will leave: Phillips, Bonne.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Update: Gunter signed.  

Amos
    Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Purrington
    Levitt, Gilbey, Watson, 
    Maddison, Washington, Doughty

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Oshilaja, Vennings, Forster-Caskey, Pratley, Williams, Aneke.

Rest of squad: Barker, Lapslie, Dempsey, Morgan, Oztumer, Davison.

Back four looks a lot better particularly when Pearce is back, but needs a bit of depth.  Get the forwards in now!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Don't think Famewo can play RCB. We don't have a Davidson. It's Davison. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I’d rather him playing there than Oshilaja.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I’d rather him playing there than Oshilaja.
    Understandable. 
  • Options
    We don't know if Famewo can play there, tbf
  • Options
    Update: Bogle signed.

Amos
    Gunter, Famewo, Pearce, Purrington
    Levitt, Gilbey, Watson, 
    Maddison, Bogle, Doughty

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Oshilaja, Forster-Caskey, Pratley, Williams, Aneke, Washington.

Rest of squad: Barker, Lapslie, Dempsey, Vennings, Morgan, Oztumer, Davison.