Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Syd Cheeswright RIP

124»

Comments

• Very sad news. RIP Syd. A Charlton character, if ever there was one 
  • More sad news. RIP Syd. 
  • edited July 2020
    Rip Sid
    I know he did lots of work for supports who needed help with the trains. 
    True charlton legend!

• RIP Syd.

I didn't know him personally but one of those supporters who was 'known' even if one hadn't knowingly met him.
  • RIP Syd ............a well remembered Bromley Addick.
  • Coach driver, train travel guide, eccentric, CAFC away day legend. RIP Syd. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Les, Seb now Syd and who knows how many other of our wonderful fans gone this year . RIP Syd 
  • RIP a fan that gained respect from his fellow fans. 
  • Remember Syd from the fans forum, he took his duties very seriously, but always had his heart in the right place for the supporters, coach drivers and helpers. Great knowledge of away travel, I remember an occasion that Meire questioned him on coach arrangements, I think she regretted it, for that reason alone I admired him. RIP Syd.
  • edited July 2020
    Syd was so painfully Charlton. Like Norman the Headphones fella, Syd would always be at a ridiculous away game when most decided (probably for the best) to swerve it.

Like previous people have said he did help a lot of people out who got in the brown stuff getting to matches.

The image of Syd lecturing that idiot Meire about coach travel (none more Charlton that) is a very pleasing one in these really bloody miserable times.

RIP Syd.
  • RIP Syd. So sad that he couldn't see the club in better hands.
  • edited July 2020
    wwtone said:
    RIP Syd ............a well remembered Bromley Addick.
    Seem to remember Syd said that was not him.

Taken in the late 1960s Woolwich somewhere.
  • wwtone said:
    RIP Syd ............a well remembered Bromley Addick.
    Seem to remember Syd said that was not him.

Taken in the late 1960s Woolwich somewhere.

• RIP Syd.  Truely one of a kind and one of our own.
  • Does anyone have a more up to date picture of him?
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to say, I was thinking that photograph wasn't Syd.
    He changed unbelievably if it is him.
    20% Syd 80% not Syd.
    No offence intended to my departed fellow CAFC supporter.
  • I am pretty sure it is him.....going back about 50 years ago don’t forget.
    The steering wheel and speedometer would also suggest it’s possibly from a coach of that era.
    He was also a coach driver of course.

• Remember Syd from the fans forum, he took his duties very seriously, but always had his heart in the right place for the supporters, coach drivers and helpers. Great knowledge of away travel, I remember an occasion that Meire questioned him on coach arrangements, I think she regretted it, for that reason alone I admired him. RIP Syd.
    Wasn't there but just the thought of this is a real head in hands moment.
  • RIP Syd.
  • I didn't know Syd but his name popped up a lot in Charlton Life and other Charlton circles.He must have been one of the great fans who should always be remembered for their lifelong dedication and generosity.Sorry to hear of another stalwart passing.RIP Syd.
  • I didn't know Syd but his name popped up a lot in Charlton Life and other Charlton circles.He must have been one of the great fans who should always be remembered for their lifelong dedication and generosity.Sorry to hear of another stalwart passing.RIP Syd.
    Thanks for signposting us to this thread Len.  Fascinating!