Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

URGENT PETITION Review the statutory owners and Directors Test

Comments

• Options
    Signed 
  • Options

Now at 22,300. - 
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/331589

Rising steadily but no Charlton areas showing on the map as we need 300 for that. Wigan and Manchester are currently the only highlight districts. Though Bexley and Sidcup is getting near, another 83 is needed:
    We need to get to 300 to turn yellow to orange in each area.

Old Bexley and Sidcup                    217

Eltham                                            192

Bexleyheath & Crayford                   189

Greenwich and Woolwich                 167

Dartford                                           164

Erith & Thamesmead                        135

Orpington                                         108

Sevenoaks                                         102

Bromley & Chislehurst                     90

Lewisham East                                 73

Gravesham                                      71

Rochester & Strood                         68

Tonbridge and Malling                   63

Beckenham                                     54

Lewisham & Deptford                      42

Dulwich and West Norwood            24 

• Options
    29 signatures in my constituency in Cheshire.

No, I didn't sign it 29 times!!
  • Options
    Chalk one up  for Kapiti Coast, NZ
  • Options
    57 in my constituency of Manchester Central. 
  • Options
    Bexleyheath and Crayford now at 200. need another 100 there to turn orange on the map

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=331589&area=uk
  • Options
    Signed
  • Options
    Looks like at least 1 for every constituency in the country 😀
  • Options
    57 in my constituency of Manchester Central. 
    any from Hale
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Looks like at least 1 for every constituency in the country 😀
    I thought this would get much more support in some areas. South Wales has really low uptake. For example, Swansea East 3 signatories, and Swansea West 6, which surprised me as they have an historically active trust. The North East round Sunderland and Newcastle is up for it and giving us a run for our money in numbers.

Clearly a lot of trusts are unaware or not promoting it. I checked out the FSA website and they ran a story in mid July when the petition was started but now it's tucked away. Their main and most recent news story is from yesterday about Newcastle United, but they do have an article from 31st July where us (and the petition) is covered-

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/clubs-in-crisis-guidance-for-fans/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Let's not be thinking the EFL are suddenly any more competent just because they have rejected 3 ESI directors today. They have taken too long, not given us info as to who or any detail and have allowed a 2 week appeal. This petition needs to stay alive and we need Charlton's main fan areas to show on the map so i hope we can keep promoting it and get others signing it too.

Could someone bump on the other forum? It has fallen half way down page 2 there?  @DiscoCAFC @dickplumb
  • Options
    Let's not be thinking the EFL are suddenly any more competent just because they have rejected 3 ESI directors today. They have taken too long, not given us info as to who or any detail and have allowed a 2 week appeal. This petition needs to stay alive and we need Charlton's main fan areas to show on the map so i hope we can keep promoting it and get others signing it too.

Could someone bump on the other forum? It has fallen half way down page 2 there?  @DiscoCAFC @dickplumb

I thought it would get to the 100,000 signatures pretty fast but seems its going to creep slowly.

Ive passed on to an Orient mate to get his lot to get signing...not many signatures on the map over the water.

• Options
    Brecon and Radnorshire with 4 signatures. Thought I was an isolated case, obviously not.
  • Options
    Me done
  • Options
    WE'VE HIT GOLD!

On the "% of constituents" version of the map (but not yet on "no. of signatures"), Old Bexley & Sidcup has changed colour - gold star to you all!
  • Options
    23,206 now nationwide.  All Charlton areas rising but very slowly. Going to need a couple more areas at least, in addition of Bexley and Sidcup, for us to show on the map with Wigan. 
  • Options
    Come on East Sussexers !

Where are you ?

Let's be 'avin you!
  • Options
    Need to keep promoting this and getting others to sign. We are about 50 short in Eltham, and Bexleyheath/Crayford/Welling districts 

• Options
    I'm one of 25 from South Ruislip and Northwood. Not exactly a hot-bed of anything, let alone Charlton or Wigan! 
  • Options
    For what it is worth, the Government has made its response (mandatory to do so when petition exceeded 10,000 signatures).
    It is now on 29,488 signatures.  100,000 needed for it to be considered for a debate. 

Government respondedThis response was given on 10 August 2020Football clubs have a unique social value; it is vital they are protected. The Government has committed to a fan-led review of governance that includes consideration of the Owners’ & Directors’ Test.Wigan Athletic is a club with a rich history and of great importance to the local community.The Government is aware of the serious allegations that have surfaced around the club and we will continue to engage with the English Football League (EFL) to fully understand the facts of the case as they emerge.The Government has committed to a fan-led review of football governance, which will include consideration of the Owners’ and Directors’ Test. We will engage with all the football authorities, including the EFL, during this review.The Government is currently deciding on the scope and structure of the review but can confirm that engagement with fan groups will be central to the review process. It is vital that fans’ perspectives and interests are at the heart of the review.Department for Digital, Culture, Media and SportAt 100,000 signatures...At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in ParliamentShare this petitionFacebookEmailTwitterCreated byMichael WimseyDeadline21 January 2021All petitions run for 6 monthsGet petition data (json format) About petition data
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "we will continue to engage with the English Football League (EFL) to fully understand the facts of the case as they emerge".

I wonder what the extent and quality of this engagement is?  Even when they are saying the right things, I don't feel confident that anything positive will happen. 
  • Options
    The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Review the need for a statutory owners and Directors Test in Football”.

Government responded:

Football clubs have a unique social value; it is vital they are protected. The Government has committed to a fan-led review of governance that includes consideration of the Owners’ & Directors’ Test.

Wigan Athletic is a club with a rich history and of great importance to the local community.

The Government is aware of the serious allegations that have surfaced around the club and we will continue to engage with the English Football League (EFL) to fully understand the facts of the case as they emerge.

The Government has committed to a fan-led review of football governance, which will include consideration of the Owners’ and Directors’ Test. We will engage with all the football authorities, including the EFL, during this review.

The Government is currently deciding on the scope and structure of the review but can confirm that engagement with fan groups will be central to the review process. It is vital that fans’ perspectives and interests are at the heart of the review.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

Click this link to view the response online:

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
    The Petitions team
    UK Government and Parliament
  • Options
    ^^^ I had the same reply this a.m.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Over 30,000 signed now.
    Just 12 more needed in Bexleyheath/ Crayford/ Welling to turn that area to gold.

At the moment Tyneside (NUFC) showing second most signatories after Wigan and what have they got to complain about?!
  • Options
    Over 30,000 signed now.
    Just 12 more needed in Bexleyheath/ Crayford/ Welling to turn that area to gold.

At the moment Tyneside (NUFC) showing second most signatories after Wigan and what have they got to complain about?!
    Their takeover that didn’t go through...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Over 30,000 signed now.

I was being facetious. Technically speaking their test would have been done under PL and not EFL admin, but any support for this petition is a good thing.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Over 30,000 signed now.

But they now have a new bidder for the club (SSN)
  • Options
    Bump

Sadly this doesn't look like it is going to make a 100,000 signatures but would be good to get a few more.
  • Options
    A classic case of "I'm alright Jack!" and also why nothing will ever change in English football.  10 years down the line how many football clubs will have gone to the wall.
  • Options
    A classic case of "I'm alright Jack!" and also why nothing will ever change in English football.  10 years down the line how many football clubs will have gone to the wall.
    About the same number who, like Wigan fans, try to do something about it for the good of others unknowingly following the same path - but only to find they don't get the wider support they need and deserve.

The ancient Egyptians had the sense to build their pyramids on bedrock - the football pyramid is built on quicksand.