Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great news for Japanophiles - Grand Sumo is back (brief intro to sumo included for those interested)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Maybe Hōshōryu has found a solution to the problem?! A win would have set a new record. 
    Indeed, what a throw. BUT I don't know who else is in the form to beat him.
    He's only got Kirishima and Takakeisho of the Ozekis to fight and neither look the ticket.
    Unless the loss unnerves him! 
  • Options
    He seemed to be smiling after the defeat whereas he doesn't show any emotions after the victory.

Onosato's defeat means it's unlucky we won't have a rookie champion but it's not over by a long shot.
  • Options
    Day 14. Just wow.
  • Options
    It goes to the final day, is he injured?!
  • Options
    It goes to the final day, is he injured?!
    He needed a wheelchair and was taken to hospital. Seems like it might be his ankle though it could have been just badly jarred I guess. 
    But if he can’t fight (he’s due to fight Gonoyama) he’d still win the Basho IF Onisato loses to Hoshoryu.
    If Onosato wins, they’d be tied and in theory there should be a play off but presumably the title would automatically go to Onosato..
    Even if he’s hobbling, he may show up to try to beat Gonoyama somehow, Gonoyama is vulnerable to a henka so he could just try dodging him at the Off to get him off balance and maybe could slap him down - wishful thinking!
    But he may not have to. Hoshoryu was pissed at losing to Kotonowaka today and will be the toughest possible opponent for Onosato. Maybe Takerefuji will still win it from a hospital bed!

• Options
    Wow! History in the making. The first time for 110 years.
  • Options
    Absolutely amazing. Only his 10th Basho.
    Apparently it's an ankle ligament and he fought with painkillers. Hope it's not going to be a problem for May.
    And to add to the bizarre happenings of this tournament, all 3 rikishi who beat Terunofuji got a losing record for the Basho!!
  • Options
    His stable master recommended he should withdraw and he still won! I was impressed with the reinforced wheelchair yesterday!

Any news on Terunofuji retiring? I think the Isegahama stable will be fine without him!

• Options
    I agree. Terunofuji is desperate to get another (10th) Title before his body konks out altogether.
    The word is he intends to give it one last go (now or never) in May and so has declined surgery as he wouldn’t have had time to recover and train to regain sufficient strength.
    But he’ll have to be in better nick somehow.
    Observers have said because he can’t train properly his legs have got visibly weaker and that would figure by the way he can’t mount a decent defence if the opponent gets him going backwards.
    He’s been an amazing Yokozuna, coming back from terrible injury earlier in his career when he sank down to the 5th tier (Jonidan), but all things come to an end.
  • Options
    edited March 24
    Who’s your favourite wrestler by the way @Friend Or Defoe ?
    there’s several I really like but #1 for me is (head butt first, ask questions later) Hokutofuji.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite like Takayasu's style but everyone at that level is highly skilled.

Why doesn't Terunofuji have the surgery and make a proper comeback, his recent performances have been luck luster.

Good to see the sport make the UK papers.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/25/emperors-cup-grand-sumo-tournament-japan-mikiya-ishioka-takerufuji-results-victory?fbclid=IwAR1r6UC3ZK1una_NbocyxASJT6dCywVYsCDajy_XKFY68NdVRj8uIzcD9m4

• Options
    I quite like Takayasu's style but everyone at that level is highly skilled.

Why doesn't Terunofuji have the surgery and make a proper comeback, his recent performances have been luck luster.

Good to see the sport make the UK papers.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/25/emperors-cup-grand-sumo-tournament-japan-mikiya-ishioka-takerufuji-results-victory?fbclid=IwAR1r6UC3ZK1una_NbocyxASJT6dCywVYsCDajy_XKFY68NdVRj8uIzcD9m4

I think the problem is he has so many issues - obviously the knees, which were the original major injury that sent him down to Jonidan, but the latest is his hip (he also suffers with diabetes) - that if he has surgery he'll lose even more condition elsewhere that he won't be able to stand the rehab to effect a full come back.
    He's trying to hold the line I guess and hopes that he can improve enough through non-invasive treatment. He got better through the January tournament to grab it at the death and I guess he hopes he can do the same in May. But I fear the same result as the last basho though.
    Looks very much like there will be no Yokozuna for a while, which will be very uncomfortable for the Big Wigs but you can't have the Yokozuna losing to 3 rank and filers who, even so, all have losing records.
    They desperately need someone to bridge the time until one of these young starlets makes the top grade. With Kirishima so limp this time, they have to be pinning hopes on Hoshoryu (whom they dislike, like they disliked his uncle) and favoured-son Kotonowaka - he'll probably make it but not for a while yet. 
    But exciting times ahead with the new kids on the block.
  • Options

A very sad day. 😔