Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great news for Japanophiles - Grand Sumo is back (brief intro to sumo included for those interested)

Comments

• CAFCTrev said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    This guy was always my favourite sumo. 

Yokozuna, met him in 1999 and he was still mahoosive then! 

Like 3 chairs wide big.
    and his real name was actually Rodney. 
    and wasn't he Hawaiian? 
    Born in the US but his family background is Samoan, and he's part of the legendary Anoa'i wrestling family which means The Rock is his cousin. 

• Going off topic but there are two main Samoan professional wrestling families. The Anoa'i family and Samoa Joe. 😃
  • PopIcon said:
    Do you have to be obese to play the sport?
    Certainly not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Yzy9NmxMA
  • Visa accepted and tickets for September 12th purchased. Let's have it!

Is that just tickets to Japan or tickets to a basho?
  • Tickets for the sumo tournament.
    Hope you have a great time. 
    Are the borders open fully or are you booked as a tour group?
  • Cloudworm said:
    Tickets for the sumo tournament.
    No and no. As per my first post i have a vjsa.
  • Cloudworm said:
    Tickets for the sumo tournament.
    No and no. As per my first post i have a vjsa.

Work visa?
  • Great day. I saw a Yokozuna get defeated.

• Sponsored links:

Glad you made it - great seats!!
    Going again during the Basho?
    Kanpai  
  • No, that's my sumo fix for a few years! 
  • No, that's my sumo fix for a few years! 
    Enjoy the rest of your time in Japan. 
    Would much appreciate more photos/stories please if you get the chance. Got withdrawal symptoms!
    Have fun.

Opening night of the bare chested washing up championships?
  • Incredible uwatenage by Sadanoumi today. Worth searching for.

The Yokozuna is currently 3-3! 
  • edited September 2022
    Incredible uwatenage by Sadanoumi today. Worth searching for.

The Yokozuna is currently 3-3! 
    Brilliant stuff.
    Terunofuji's struggling with his right knee yet again - maybe close to retiring I'd imagine. Sad to see and sobering that all 3 Ozeki are so poor and that both Wakatakakage and Inchinojo have flopped since winning their first titles.
    Next Yokozuna could be a youngster like Hoshoryu or Kotonowaka.
    Apart from beating Teruno did you see Ura's brilliant throw (tsutaezori - an underarm forward body drop) to beat Takarafuji, last used in the top division 20 years ago (approx 2m20s on the you tube link)?
    This is turning into a really interesting Basho - would love it it "raging bull" Hokutofuji can hold them off to win it but going to be tough for him next week. Takayasu or Tamawashi more likely maybe.
    Hope you're enjoying your trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMcOkhbaDh4
  • Congratulations Tamawashi!
  • @PeanutsMolloy are you following the March tournament?
    Certainly am.
    Am about to watch Saturday's recorded so don't know yet if the 2 youngsters are still undefeated but there's some hot newbies around with Atamifuji and Hakuoho making his way back. Bodes well for the next 5 years.
    I gather Teruno's scratched. Surely retirement beckons.
    Certainly am.
    Am about to watch Saturday's recorded so don't know yet if the 2 youngsters are still undefeated but there's some hot newbies around with Atamifuji and Hakuoho making his way back. Bodes well for the next 5 years.
    I gather Teruno's scratched. Surely retirement beckons.
    It certainly does, he can barely stand. Slight chance of me going to the November tournament. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 16
    They’re saying May will be his last roll of the dice, trying to get his 10th Cup. 
    Also saying it’s his back though, as you say, looks like he can barely stand. Certainly can’t mount any defence once he’s being moved back.
    Been an amazing career though.
    Who’s the next Yokozuna and WTF has happened to Kirishima? I wondered when Teruno unceremoniously flung him out if the Dojo on Day15 in Jan whether that might leave a mental scar. Doesn’t seem to be physical.
    Do you try to go every year to Japan @Friend Or Defoe ?

• They’re saying May will be his last roll of the dice, trying to get his 10th Cup. 
    Also saying it’s his back though, as you say, looks like he can barely stand. Certainly can’t mount any defence once he’s being moved back.
    Who’s the next Yokozuna and WTF has happened to Kirishima? I wondered when Teruno unceremoniously flung him out if the Dojo on Day15 in Jan whether that might leave a mental scar. Doesn’t seem to be physical.

I certainly try! Didn't go once last year but went twice the year before. My long-term goal is to emigrate.

No idea which Ozeki will replace him!
  • edited March 17
    They’re saying May will be his last roll of the dice, trying to get his 10th Cup. 

I certainly try! Didn't go once last year but went twice the year before. My long-term goal is to emigrate.

No idea which Ozeki will replace him!
    I've toyed with the idea of doing likewise. Lived there during the 80s and loved it. Then travelled to and fro on business until about 15 years ago.
    Getting a bit long in the tooth for a complete change of home but it's the only place I'd even consider.
    Never got to Fukuoka but if we were to go on holiday that's where we'd head to, and make it Nov as well, naturally. 
    I hope you get there this year again.

The Ozeki have got to earn the promotion and the powers that be must be gutted that Kirishima's struggling so badly.
    Kotonowaka should get there one day but it won't be overnight.
    Best bet may be Hoshoryu. He's got the brass neck of his uncle. Maybe one of the youngsters will stun everyone with a meteoric ascent to the very top!
    Just about to watch recorded Day 8.
    Come on Onosato!!
  • I've never been to Fukuoka either, my (Japanese) wife suggested it could be an option to live in it, Osaka is my preference. We want to go in October/November and would you look at that there's a sumo tournament! Will probably spend most of our time in Tokyo and Osaka.

How are you following the tournament? I'm watching the highlights on NHK and seem to be a day behind you.
  • I've never been to Fukuoka either, my (Japanese) wife suggested it could be an option to live in it, Osaka is my preference. We want to go in October/November and would you look at that there's a sumo tournament! Will probably spend most of our time in Tokyo and Osaka.

How are you following the tournament? I'm watching the highlights on NHK and seem to be a day behind you.
    We watch NHK too but on Freesat. I guess you’re viewing via their App where it does go up a day late. I’ll not post any spoliers as we get to the business end.
    There’s a bloke on you tube that shows highlights same day, though I think it’s the Japanese commentary. He’s taken down occasionally for copyright infringement but is currently up.
    Details on Twitter @NattoSumo
    He’s on Rumble as well where he isn’t taken down NattoSumo2
    We watch these you tube channels for regular snippets that may or may not be of interest
    Chris Sumo
    Sumo Jason
    World Of Sumo by a nutty Scot
    Then there’s the “official” Sumo Prime Time

• Seem day 8, Takerufuji is incredible. Would be something else for a rookie to win it.
  • He’s amazing isn't he? I think the last time a rookie won it was way back last Century.
    The really amazing thing is there's been 3 rookies go close in quick succession with Hakuoho last year (sadly aggravated a shoulder in the process) and Onosato last time.
    Gonna be great when Hakuoho makes it back up to Div 1 and all these guys are vying for Sanyaku ranks. 

• 10-0.

Massive bout tomorrow against Kotonowaka.
    Title decider I think.
  • Maybe Hōshōryu has found a solution to the problem?! A win would have set a new record.