Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great news for Japanophiles - Grand Sumo is back (brief intro to sumo included for those interested)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I have to admit I'm a huge Japanophile. I went there twice in the last five years with the family (which meant going to a sumo fight was out of the question as I had to share space with my daughters who wanted Disneyland Tokyo. But we did get the train into central Tokyo one morning to find it filling up with young sumo wrestlers on their way to a meeting - on of them even did that very courteous bow they do in Japan to me - made my day.
    The band Japan, lead by David Sylvian are also a favourite of mine - coincidence'
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Konbanwa
    OK boys and girls. Time to put aside the agonies of things Addick. Tomorrow sees day 1 of the September Basho at the Kokugikan Tokyo.
    NHK HD (FreeSat 209) at 9.10am for live coverage of the top bouts.
    Sadly no Hakuho, owing to positive COVID tests at his stable, but Terunofuji makes his debut appearance as Yokozuna.
    On paper the hot favourite but records of first time Yokozuna down the years (including Hakuho himself) has been poor, perhaps reflecting the added pressures of the (dojyo-iri) daily ring-entering ceremony.
    I fancy Takayasu, demoted to Komisubi after an injury-interrupted July Basho, to bounce back strongly and take his first Emperor’s Cup.
    Tanoshinde kudasai.

• Options
    and they're off!
    Teruno starts with the expected win against the long-standing buddy Ichinojo and I've already put the bogey on Takayasu, who goes down to the impressive Wakatakakage (try saying that after a skinfull). Reckon I'll stick to Aintree for my wagers.
    Both Ozeki beaten and beaten well. Shodai just doesn't have the heart and Takakeisho's chronic neck problem is clearly a major concern. 
    Hoshoryu looks an Ozeki (at least) in the making and could be a lively contender for the Cup.
    Gambatte!! 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Terrific bout yesterday between shin-Yokozuna Terunofuji and (the hyper mobile) Ura in the pink mawashi.
    Despite Hakuho’s absence, a really intriguing Basho this one with Onosho and the veteran Myogiryu hot on the heels of Terunofuji.
    Fascinating to see the continuing progress of 3 younger Rikishi - Kiribayama, Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka (sadly now withdrawn cos of a meniscus tear).
    All 3 surely Ozeki of the future, at least.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMFeWbAqYU

• Options
    I have to admit I'm a huge Japanophile. I went there twice in the last five years with the family (which meant going to a sumo fight was out of the question as I had to share space with my daughters who wanted Disneyland Tokyo. But we did get the train into central Tokyo one morning to find it filling up with young sumo wrestlers on their way to a meeting - on of them even did that very courteous bow they do in Japan to me - made my day.
    The band Japan, lead by David Sylvian are also a favourite of mine - coincidence'
    On the subway in Tokyo a couple of years ago I gave my seat up to a schoolgirl (probably aged 10 or 11) and before she sat down she bowed to me. My wife and I just looked at each other in awestruck amazement, don’t get that in South East London! 
  • Options
    I live in Japan. Never fancied sumo.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Weren't there a white bloke doing quite well at it out there?
  • Options
    I find the Japanese culture fascinating, but never really thought of watching Sumo, ill give it a go. 

Anyone who likes their Japanese history, there is a stunning series on Netflix called 'Age of Samurai - The fight for Japan'.
  • Options
    I find the Japanese culture fascinating, but never really thought of watching Sumo, ill give it a go. 

Anyone who likes their Japanese history, there is a stunning series on Netflix called 'Age of Samurai - The fight for Japan'.
    Out of interest, what do you find interesting about Japanese culture?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Out of interest, what do you find interesting about Japanese culture?
    Its history, its food, Its combination of old and new.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Watched that during lockdown, it was really interesting (still not sure if it was kind of a dramatised version of history or an actual documentary though!)
  • Options
    Japan is probably the most unique country in the world and that's probably due to cutting themselves off from the rest of the world during the Edo period. I've seen most of the world and it's head and shoulders the best place i've been. I have flights booked there for November, hopefully i'll be allowed in!
  • Options
    Japan is probably the most unique country in the world and that's probably due to cutting themselves off from the rest of the world during the Edo period. I've seen most of the world and it's head and shoulders the best place i've been. I have flights booked there for November, hopefully i'll be allowed in!
    Highly unlikely FoD. At best, you’ll have to isolate for 2 weeks on arrival.
  • Options
    Maybe next year, hopefully!
  • Options
    Maybe next year, hopefully!
    Hmm...2024 mooted in the media
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Bit of a damp squib of a final day with Myogiryu, the final challenger to Terunofuji, losing before the shin-Yokozuna wrapped it up with an easy win against Ozeki Shodai.
    13-2 his winning score, 2 clear.
    Great shame that Hakuho was absent for this Basho owing to a COVID infection at his stable but an impressive debut as Yokozuna by Terunofuji. 
    Roll on the November tournament.
    Sayonara.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    And they’re off, for the November Basho from Fukuoka. The first since the retirement of the great HAKUHO who, in classically bizarre Sumo tradition, now acts as a uniformed security guard.

Thrilling bout on day 1 between sole Yokozuna Terunofuji and fellow Mongolian, the dangerous Kiribayama. Teruno coming out on top with an unusual Komatasukui throw.

Enjoy.

• Options
    Another brilliant throw by Terunofuji from the edge of the Dojo to snatch victory from defeat against Daieisho on Day 2.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great pictures, these.
  • Options
    And they’re Off. 

For the January 2022 Basho from the Kokugikan Tokyo.
    If Yokozuna Terunofuji wins the Emperor’s Cup, he’ll be the first Rikishi in over a century to win his first 3 tournaments as Yokozuna.

A tough victory to get him off the mark on Day 1 against the dangerous Daieisho.

• Options
    ADMIN : This is a GDPR Issue. I have not given anyone permission to post pictures of me half naked
  • Options
    This guy was always my favourite sumo. 

• Options
    edited July 2022
    A fantastic final bout (Wakamotoharu v yokozuna Terunofuji) of day 8 of the Nagoya Basho today, with a bizarre twist.
    If you're even vaguely into sumo, you'll want to see the highlights on NHK World at 5.30pm or 10.30pm.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Yokozuna, met him in 1999 and he was still mahoosive then! 

Like 3 chairs wide big.
  • Options
    Visa accepted and tickets for September 12th purchased. Let's have it!

• Options
    Do you have to be obese to play the sport?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Like 3 chairs wide big.
    and his real name was actually Rodney. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Like 3 chairs wide big.
    and his real name was actually Rodney. 
    and wasn't he Hawaiian?