Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    I wonder if the authorities might be a bit more lenient with the points deduction give the current economic climate?
    Unless they temporarily amended/suspended their rules concerning administration as a result of Covid, I don't think their rules allow them any scope for leniency.
    On that basis, if the rules say before the end of March then they are safe this year. 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    It's a 12 point deduction, not 10. From what I can make out from this - https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-3---the-league/ - it's automatic when they enter administration, not something that you can appeal (unless the administration is caused by another club defaulting on a payment which consequently forces Club A into administration). The only grey area is that when a points deduction is applied (this season or next season) revolves around whether administrating occurs before or after the 4th Thursday in March, which is obviously based on a season running to May, not July. There's also mention of force majeur. Working at the moment so only skim read it.

Good news for us, but another club let down by the EFL. How can you go into administrating 4 weeks after being taken over?!
    well, if it says that and there is no caveat as to what happens if the season is extended then 4th Thursday in March is the cut off date.
  • Options
    Survive they get hit with the 12 points this season, go down, they get to start 12 down
  • Options
    wiks links states it is 10 points and immediate. 
  • Options
    So basically the 12 point deduction is this season unless they go down regardless, in which case they carry it to next season.
  • Options
    I think it was our own jimmy stone who said on Twitter he has a sneaking suspicion there’s some kind of underworld racket going on, with people “buying” football clubs and then letting them fold, look at bury, us under southall and now Wigan. What seems to essentially be a fraudster ring happening in football right now 
    It could be the only reason this is all not yet published and made explicit to the wider world us the fear of litigation.
    If that is the case sooner or later there will be robust enough information to withstand litigation.
    There is a bigger army of skilled information seekers than the organised crime army.
  • Options
    So basically the 12 point deduction is this season unless they go down regardless, in which case they carry it to next season.
    So basically, fight for your lives and hope you amass enough points to nullify then 12 as well as more points than the other teams 

or take the hit and go down , and rebuild next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Sad for them, but it's good news for us.
  • Options
    There is an argument to say this could go against us, even with a 12 point deduction they are not out of it and it means when they play us they will have it all to  play for where as when they would have played they would have had nothing to play for. 
  • Options
    So if we're taking 52 points as a survival target this season they need to be getting 64 to stay up.

So they need at least 4-5 wins from their last 6 games.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think it was our own jimmy stone who said on Twitter he has a sneaking suspicion there’s some kind of underworld racket going on, with people “buying” football clubs and then letting them fold, look at bury, us under southall and now Wigan. What seems to essentially be a fraudster ring happening in football right now 
    It could be the only reason this is all not yet published and made explicit to the wider world us the fear of litigation.
    If that is the case sooner or later there will be robust enough information to withstand litigation.
    There is a bigger army of skilled information seekers than the organised crime army.
    The thing about fraud, by it’s very nature you have to prove criminal intent. It’s why the cases are extremely complex (I just about managed to scrape out of jury duty on a fraud case at the beginning of the year, would’ve been a 3 month long case), and also why people get away with it for so long - it also usually happens when there isn’t actually legislation to say what they’re doing actually is fraud. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    So basically, fight for your lives and hope you amass enough points to nullify then 12 as well as more points than the other teams 

or take the hit and go down , and rebuild next season
    If they can stay in the champs for another season, they will do that all day long.  They shouldn't have a choice IMHO.
  • Options
    Obviously terrible news for Wigan and those businesses set to lose out

But part of me hopes this is the first of many and it leads to a reform of the way clubs operate. It's clear that the situation is getting worse and worse for those in the EFL and that was without Covid. 
  • Options
    ads said:
    Have Wigan gone into administration?
    Not sure, but I’ve heard some bloke broke his leg in a cup final when playing for them.
  • Options
    Given the circumstances, wouldn’t there be an amnesty on a points deduction? At least a smaller deduction?
  • Options
    Before tonight's games, Wigan are currently 8 points ahead of the relegation places, so it's not impossible they could get enough points to be 12 clear by the end of the season IF this doesn't affect morale
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so do I have this right, if they finish 10 points above the relegation zone then they will be deducted 12 points and be relegated. If they finish 14 points clear of the relegation zone they are deducted 12 points and stay up? Where is the punishment then? (not that I want them to be relegated other than fairly and squarely).
  • Options
    So if we're taking 52 points as a survival target this season they need to be getting 64 to stay up.

So they need at least 4-5 wins from their last 6 games.
    Seems like it. I know they have been on a great run but surely they can't continue to win games.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for any club going into Administration.
  • Options
    Before tonight's games, Wigan are currently 8 points ahead of the relegation places, so it's not impossible they could get enough points to be 12 clear by the end of the season IF this doesn't affect morale
    If the players are no longer getting paid, I think morale will be affected.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm not sure that they will get a points deduction. Whilst it's automatic initially, the club has a right of appeal in cases of force majeure. One of the examples given in the regulations is as follows:-

Club Income: In the event that a club suffers material adverse effects upon the loss of anticipated income streams which means that it is unable to meet its liabilities as and when they fall due.

It's difficult to see how this doesn't apply.

It's potentially going to make the end of the season messy because it's probably only worth them appealing if the deduction will relegate them. So I can see a situation where an appeal goes in at that point and then takes some time to resolve. I think it means we definitely don't want to be sitting anywhere around 20th/21st come the end of the season.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Given the circumstances, wouldn’t there be an amnesty on a points deduction? At least a smaller deduction?
    Wouldn’t that mean the rules needing to be changed, therefore a majority of clubs to agree? 

Can’t see any on the relegation battle accepting that if it potentially helps them out 
  • Options
    I wonder if they announced it today so they could extend some contracts before they announced it?  
  • Options
    They’ve just said on sky sports news, Wigan will need to finish more than 12 points clear of the relegation zone, if they somehow ended up being in the relegation zone without the 12 point deduction, it will apply next season in league 1. Worst of both worlds for them, poor bastards! 
  • Options
    so do I have this right, if they finish 10 points above the relegation zone then they will be deducted 12 points and be relegated. If they finish 14 points clear of the relegation zone they are deducted 12 points and stay up? Where is the punishment then? (not that I want them to be relegated other than fairly and squarely).
    It's still a punishment, as they'll have 12 points less. It's not an automatic relegation punishment