Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan financial woes - up for sale again? p40

Comments

• Options
    The Grauniad is reporting that: "IEC bought Wigan from the sports and retail magnate Dave Whelan for £15.9m, but despite winning promotion from League One last season, the company said it was dissatisfied with the loss-making finances of the Championship and the UK’s uncertain economic prospects after Brexit. IEC sold to Au Yeung’s consortium for £17.5m, plus repayment of £24.36m the company had invested in the club."

Basically the buyer has enough money but is concerned with the short to medium-term financial prospect of running a Championship football club, so has kicked the club well and truly to the kerb and washed his hands Pontius Pilate style.

I think this means we are at a watershed moment for those looking to invest in a football club.  We can expect many other clubs to go to the wall in the next few years.  Praying that won't include us.

I was always slightly puzzled by the original HK takeover, as it seemed to take months to complete, and I couldn't see the motives for buying Wigan, who never sold out in the PL and have a small fanbase, being squeezed between Manchester and Liverpool, and not having the history of other clubs that helps generate long term family ties
  • Options
    A lot of this makes me think about a phrase used not long ago by Lyle Taylor which was 'I know my value'.
    Really?
    I wonder if he, and footballers generally, can take into account the new realities.
    And agents too.
  • Options

"So this is why they transferred the club from a plc to a group of people. No plc wants to have one of their subsidiaries going into administration."

Absolutely disgusting this sort of thing can happen. 
  • Options
    Horrible for any club and goes to show it can happen to any club below the Premier League completely out of the blue.

We have to be so careful that this doesn’t happen to us, as we all know it’s a very real possibility.

In terms of survival hopes, it does make it seem as though if we get to 52 points, that will surely be enough now.

Wigan’s form has been incredible, luckily for them it has, otherwise they’d be gone now. However, I don’t believe they’ll carry on this form as good as they have been. They may still do well, but they’ll drop points along the way, especially with the quick turnaround in games.

That means if we get to 52, that should be enough. That’s a hell of an ask for teams below us to get more than that, and for Wigan to get more 64 or more points.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Horrible for any club and goes to show it can happen to any club below the Premier League completely out of the blue.

We have to be so careful that this doesn’t happen to us, as we all know it’s a very real possibility.

In terms of survival hopes, it does make it seem as though if we get to 52 points, that will surely be enough now.

Wigan’s form has been incredible, luckily for them it has, otherwise they’d be gone now. However, I don’t believe they’ll carry on this form as good as they have been. They may still do well, but they’ll drop points along the way, especially with the quick turnaround in games.

That means if we get to 52, that should be enough. That’s a hell of an ask for teams below us to get more than that, and for Wigan to get more 64 or more points.
    Do you think there is a chance we could enter administration this season, same as Wigan?
  • Options
    Sage said:

I think 1 team will go down with 52, or more points. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Absolutely there is.
    Maybe we can make it through the season.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Do you think there is a chance we could enter administration this season, same as Wigan?
    I don't see why, as we are in an odd situation where the owners basically just have to pay the current bills (wages, PAYE etc) and the big money owed is to Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

You would think our owners would want to bank the income from EFL and players sales first. Send the money out as consultancy fees, perhaps agreed payments to former club owners (Nimer / Southall) etc. Then go into admin when Duche comes calling for his 1.5 million.

That's a cynical view if they can't find a legit buyer.
  • Options
    It seems very harsh that the fans are punished because of wannabees and shysters. We haven't gone into administration but it is easy to empathise. It might help us, but I would prefer we stayed up on merit.
  • Options
    I think administration is a very real risk but not before this season is concluded. Don’t believe Elliot has money or a backer willing to pay bills longer than it takes to sell the club again. If that fails to happen I think they’ll put the club into administration. 
  • Options

That email/letter that got leaked the other week with the £90k we owed in legals or whatever it was... that wasn't a genuine threat and just another Southall pointless leak?

Something like that could force club into admin if not paid, could it?

I'm honestly not clued up at all on this subject.

• Options
    johnny73 said:
    Sage said:

You would think our owners would want to bank the income from EFL and players sales first. Send the money out as consultancy fees, perhaps agreed payments to former club owners (Nimer / Southall) etc. Then go into admin when Duche comes calling for his 1.5 million.

Sorry mate I must've missed this, what £1.5m are you referring to?

• Options
    Obviously over the last few years us and a number of other clubs have known EFL are not fit and proper for the role they have, and have tried to make this more aware to the surrounding football family. 

But I naively believed that what happened to Bury would have woken the EFL up to ensure that all clubs are protected, yet we’re continuing to see clubs struggle at the hands of dishonest ‘businessman’. 
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Sage said:

Sorry mate I must've missed this, what £1.5m are you referring to?

If we stay up we have to pay Duche 1.5million.

Again anyone please correct me if I have this wrong.
  • Options
    It seems very harsh that the fans are punished because of wannabees and shysters. We haven't gone into administration but it is easy to empathise. It might help us, but I would prefer we stayed up on merit.
    The problem, or one of them, is the fans (and players) are more than happy for these wannabees and shysters to pay the bills and inflated wages, keep season ticket costs down etc etc until they pull the plug. 
  • Options

That email/letter that got leaked the other week with the £90k we owed in legals or whatever it was... that wasn't a genuine threat and just another Southall pointless leak?

Something like that could force club into admin if not paid, could it?

I'm honestly not clued up at all on this subject.

They could issue a winding up notice through the high court.  Could being the key word. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

With Wigan heading for safety before this, they’ve now effectively got 38 points.

Bottom 6 is therefore:
    Stoke 43
    Hull 42
    Huddersfield 42
    Barnsley 41
    Luton 40
    Wigan 38

Therefore, you’re saying that 4 of them, plus Middlesbrough on 44 and us on 46, will get more than 52 points? That’s a hell of an ask.

That’s why I believe 52 now will be enough.
  • Options
    I really feel for Wigan and this is a bit of a bolt from the blue.  

If it helps us to stay up then we have to see it as a bonus - as harsh as that may sound

As long as Mr Elliott continues to pay the bills and we stay solvent then that has to be seen as good news.  For now.  But The Famous Dodger tellling him we don't want him here would likely mean only one thing right now...this would be us too.

Having said that if we go into administration it would be interesting to see what that does to Roland's demands...does he lose out on much of what he wants?  I dare say the vultures are circling because we would be a massive proposition if we could be picked up for peanuts albeit with a points deduction.

Sad that is has all come to this to be honest.  There will be quite a few clubs starting from a points deficit next season I suspect
  • Options
    The problem for Wigan if I understand how it works is not only are they now adrift at the bottom, but if they save themselves, which they are capable of doing, they get deducted the points next season. Is that correct?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

With Wigan heading for safety before this, they’ve now effectively got 38 points.

Bottom 6 is therefore:
    Stoke 43
    Hull 42
    Huddersfield 42
    Barnsley 41
    Luton 40
    Wigan 38

Therefore, you’re saying that 4 of them, plus Middlesbrough on 44 and us on 46, will get more than 52 points? That’s a hell of an ask.

That’s why I believe 52 now will be enough.
    I would normally say its impossible but everyone is picking up points, not just draws, winning games. 

If Birmingham loose tonight but win at the weekend they won't be safe yet.  Win tonight and loose at the weekend however they probably will be.

Do you think 2 wins will make us safe? I don't. 
  • Options
    No

Points will be deducted this season, unless they finish in the bottom three and are relegated without the points deduction. 

If that's the case they start next season in League 1 on -12