Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Pass | Frequently asked questions

Comments

• Options
    I connect my laptop to my HD TV via HDMI cable.   It's a bit of a blurry view on tv but not on laptop.  I've played about on the tv settings and laptop settings but to no real effect.

Is it worth investing in a more expensive HDMI cable/ will that make a difference to picture quality?

Thanks

• Options
    I asked the club this question but did not receive a reply:

I have an annual subscription to VP and live in the UK. When I try to watch a full match that has already taken place I get the message "You don't have sufficient permissions to watch this video"

Can anyone explain why I'm barred from this part of the VP service.
    Hello mate

I can answer that for you

The problem is you don't have sufficient permissions to watch the video
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I asked the club this question but did not receive a reply:

I have an annual subscription to VP and live in the UK. When I try to watch a full match that has already taken place I get the message "You don't have sufficient permissions to watch this video"

Can anyone explain why I'm barred from this part of the VP service.
    So the annual subscription to ValleyPass in the UK is only for highlights and interviews etc. - Its a separate service to the Match Passes that you buy (despite falling under VP), yet purchasing a Match Pass should allow you to watch that game back, as well as live
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I connect my laptop to my HD TV via HDMI cable.   It's a bit of a blurry view on tv but not on laptop.  I've played about on the tv settings and laptop settings but to no real effect.

Is it worth investing in a more expensive HDMI cable/ will that make a difference to picture quality?

Thanks

I'd be very surprised if it was the cable. How big is your tv? This may be wrong, but I think VP identifies the best dpi level depending on your connection but you can select it manually. It might be worth checking if the broadcast is on the highest setting but too high and it might be more likely to buffer.

You wont notice a lower dpi level on a smaller screen so much. Even at its best, I don't think you will get a fantastic picture on a big screen. If you have a large screen you might want to try a smaller screen that is still bigger than your laptop screen, if you have one of course or sit further away from your big screen.
  • Options
    Thanks
    It won't be the hdmi cable. Have you set to mirror screen or to extend screen? Mirror will enlarge your laptop screen to the full TV, extend should allow separate settings. 
  • Options

Thanks

I'd be very surprised if it was the cable. How big is your tv? This may be wrong, but I think VP identifies the best dpi level depending on your connection but you can select it manually. It might be worth checking if the broadcast is on the highest setting but too high and it might be more likely to buffer.

You wont notice a lower dpi level on a smaller screen so much. Even at its best, I don't think you will get a fantastic picture on a big screen. If you have a large screen you might want to try a smaller screen that is still bigger than your laptop screen, if you have one of course or sit further away from your big screen.
    Thanks mate. It's the main telly in the living room so reasonable size.

Will try it on the bedroom tv tomorrow.

Interesting about sitting further away so will try that too.

Cheers

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thanks
    It won't be the hdmi cable. Have you set to mirror screen or to extend screen? Mirror will enlarge your laptop screen to the full TV, extend should allow separate settings. 
    Thanks Dazzler will try this too.

• Options
    As a general point, I have been told that standard HDMI cables offer just as good picture quality as expensive ones. I know some reviewers and retailers say you get better tones etc... with one cable over another but this is impossible.

It suggests that an HDMI cable has intelligence built into it. Inside, an HDMI cable has individual wires connected to pins, each designed for a specific job, but these are  just bits of metal designed to conduct an electrical signal. There is no refinement possible beyond that.

• Options

Thanks

I Chromecast the stream to my bog standard 42inch HD TV. The picture quality is perfectly fine, but not super sharp, which is down to the bit-rate of the stream I imagine, which isn't enough to get a super sharp picture on a larger TV. I don't think a more expensive cable would make any difference
  • Options
    Thanks. My wifi is a bit dodge so not sure if  chromecast would be ok
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Your wifi could be your biggest issue in that I think VP defaults to the resolution that works best and it may not be the highest one available. I'm not sure about this in terms of VP as mine works ok so I haven't changed anything. But I only display it on a 43 inch screen. I have watched it on a 55 inch a couple of times and it was still ok. Ok being the operative word.
  • Options
    We did the thing with the laptop/ lead going into the back of the telly , picture quality was a bit blurry.

Has improved a lot since we used the browser on the telly.
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited November 2020
    I wish our TV browser would work.  It just goes round in a circle; "you have to login", I login, "you have to login", I login ......
  • Options
    My experience so far with this is mixed at best.

saw the Lincoln game on my iPad, shit picture, kept freezing, 
    next game same thing
    then Fleetwood, still on I pad, better service , and better picture
    then tried to watch the Plymouth fa cup game. Paid my tenner and sat there for 90 minutes trying to get it to link with chrome cast or even just fucking work. Turned into password and IT he’ll. saw 2 minutes, nearly kicked my telly in.

today, thought I’d get in early, and have now spent 20 minutes of wrong pages, wrong passwords, and it won’t take my card payment.

i fucking hate this modern app driven password shithole.

ill wait for one of my daughters to wake up and sort it.

• Options

Missed the first 30 trying to cast the game from an iphone to a roku straming stick. It kept showing an “airplay” screen  everytime i pressed play.  Eventually tried on a samsung tablet and it worked first time. I thought apple “just works”. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    SamB09 said:

Missed the first 30 trying to cast the game from an iphone to a roku straming stick. It kept showing an “airplay” screen  everytime i pressed play.  Eventually tried on a samsung tablet and it worked first time. I thought apple “just works”. 
    I couldn't get my iPad to stream either. Switched to TV browser and boom. Worked smooth as anything.
  • Options
    Has anyone successfully set up Valley Pass on a Firestick?

I've loaded the app but when opened it doesn't display correctly, it looks all squashed up
    I used my firestick yesterday, I didn't use the app, I went in via the website. I couldn't get rid of the big red Charlton banner at the top of the screen. 
    I had the same issue today. Anyone got a solution for this?
  • Options

Thanks

Cheers

Silly question probably but do you set the laptop to full screen before plugging in the HDMI cable?

My TV and laptop are both a few years old but (touchwood) I get a decent picture most of the time and I am technologically in the 'jumpers for goalposts in Charlton Park league' compared to nearly everybody.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I set it to full screen after it is connected. But it shouldn't make a difference. What I do, and it works perfectly every time is I get the game screen on, in window not full screen. I then plug the laptop into the TV via HDMI and after that set the TV source to the relevant HDMI channel. I then set to full screen on the laptop. I have found that the standard TV screen setting of Wide cuts a small bit off, which is fixed when I select 'native'.

In the past, when I have had problems, I have done in other ways. Technically they should have worked but didn't. Maybe there are some individual glitches and set ups so it might be an idea to just work out what works for your set up. You don't need Valley Pass, just try a way of plugging in to the TV that displays your laptop screen. You can do that now. If you see your screen on the TV, you will see Valley Pass when it is on. When you have found a way that works, do this every time when using Valley Pass.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Found it very laggy yesterday, don’t know why has been brilliant recently.

Had the pause button symbol on the middle of the screen for quite a bit of the match whilst the match was going on, not a great experience yesterday unfortunately?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Thanks

Cheers

Silly question probably but do you set the laptop to full screen before plugging in the HDMI cable?

My TV and laptop are both a few years old but (touchwood) I get a decent picture most of the time and I am technologically in the 'jumpers for goalposts in Charlton Park league' compared to nearly everybody.

Yes mate I set it to full screen
  • Options
    All good for me yesterday,  had it on a laptop linked to the telly and on iPad at same time,  as I was doing stuff around the house for a bit of the match and had no problems whatsoever 
  • Options
    So, despite the fact that I don’t like watching games in empty stadiums, recent form and a squad of players that could do something special this season had basically changed my mind. I watched it on my laptop this time. It pissed me off that I was paying £10 and having to watch a load of adverts and that the feed was delayed enough that SSN was pinging alerts (bookings, goals etc) before they were happening on screen so I already knew that if SSN hadn’t already warned me, any attack I was watching wasn’t going to result in a goal, or Amos wasn’t going to save the penalty etc. If that is the best the EFL can do then bitching about illegal feeds is going to be up there with King Canute trying to stop the tide coming in. I thought the two commentators did a pretty good job and put the mainstream channel commentators efforts to shame but then they had the advantage of knowing one of the teams particularly well.
  • Options
    You have to pause SSN for a couple of minutes then start it. Don't look at the phone either and all is well.

In terms of the lagging, I have had it lag a little a couple of times in the past. It can only be the broadband.  Yesterday was fine for me and it has been that way recently.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    I wish our TV browser would work.  It just goes round in a circle; "you have to login", I login, "you have to login", I login ......
    We had same problem initially. Don't understand why but it was solved by having the laptop logged in at the same tim. It works then but not otherwise. 
  • Options

Had the pause button symbol on the middle of the screen for quite a bit of the match whilst the match was going on, not a great experience yesterday unfortunately?
    My match stream hasn't lagged /frozen/paused for about 7 games.
    I move the router a bit closer to the laptop.
    The pause button on the screen is because you have left your curser at the bottom of the screen.
    If you leave the curser up further the pause button disappears after a few seconds.
  • Options
    Most problems tend to me local to your wifi or setup. I Chromecast from my iPad, and for some reason the picture was a bit dark in the first half. At half time I restarted the Cast, and the picture brightness was then fine

Also weirdly I get a smoother picture when streaming on my ipad than on my PC, as my PC for some reasons occasionally struggles to cope with streams, depending on what background programmes are running at the same time hogging memory or CPU power
  • Options

My match stream hasn't lagged /frozen/paused for about 7 games.
    I move the router a bit closer to the laptop.
    The pause button on the screen is because you have left your curser at the bottom of the screen.
    If you leave the curser up further the pause button disappears after a few seconds.
    Move the cursor to the very bottom of the screen then slowly move it up.  As it leaves the taskbar are the pause icon will disappear.  Don't move the mouse now as the pause icon will re-appear !!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I haven't used it yet but I have a plan B which is a ethernet cable to connect laptop to router if buffering becomes a real issue.
  • Options
    Just checking in to let people know that I haven't had any issues over the last couple of games. My wifi provides a shocking 7mbps connection to my TV.