Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PlayStation 5 or XBOX Series X

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Hi folks, I know nothing about any of this, not had a console since a PS2 in about 2003... My 9 year old is nagging me about getting an X Box. Obviously, if this happens I'll be buying myself games a plenty so no real objections on that front... 

But what is exactly involved? Looking at an Xbox one S or series S (her birthday is in June, so hopefully available by then, if not Christmas). So these are the digital versions... Do you download the games you buy, or do you need a monthly subscription to play online? 

I will accept the most patronising answers.

Edited to say series S, but guess all options are open
  • Options
    Do you mean XBox One S and Xbox One X

Or Xbox Series s and Xbox Series X?

Recommendation would be go for a disc version over diskless as that way you can take advantage of pre-owned games.

The series X is the current top of the range in the Microsoft world. Using SSD to load games quicker.

The Xbox one X may not be beneficial for newer games due to use of the older storage technology (HDD)

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Do you mean XBox One S and Xbox One X

Or Xbox Series s and Xbox Series X?

Recommendation would be go for a disc version over diskless as that way you can take advantage of pre-owned games.

The series X is the current top of the range in the Microsoft world. Using SSD to load games quicker.

The Xbox one X may not be beneficial for newer games due to use of the older storage technology (HDD)

Ah yes, confusing typo. I meant between the two S ones as they are cheaper, but if if it's a false economy re pre-owned games then I'm listening.

I'm not envisaging buying a ton of games but also don't want it to be redundant in a year
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I'd have concerns buying a last gen console. If you're going to be buying new games and don't mind doing so, or plan on using gamepass Ultimate then go series s, the graphics won't be quite as good (1080/1440p max I believe) as series X (4k) and loading times marginally slower, but a better investment than last gen.

If you can stretch for the Series X, I'd recommend that! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd have concerns buying a last gen console. If you're going to be buying new games and don't mind doing so, or plan on using gamepass Ultimate then go series s, the graphics won't be quite as good (1080/1440p max I believe) as series X (4k) and loading times marginally slower, but a better investment than last gen.

Cheers mate. I'd have to lie to the Mrs about the cost but it won't be the first time or indeed the last
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    So this gamepass do you just pay a monthly sub of £11 and get to play a load of he's for the price? 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    So this gamepass do you just pay a monthly sub of £11 and get to play a load of he's for the price? 
    Exactly that. It's even on a deal right now where the first month is £1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/CFQ7TTC0KHS0/0007?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Cheers mate. I'd have to lie to the Mrs about the cost but it won't be the first time or indeed the last
    The Missus & I got our eldest the Series X at Christmas & subscribed to Gamepass - it’s a brilliant bit of kit & Gamepass is essentially Netflix for Xbox games. 

The XBox One is still a decent machine but as already stated, I’d be wary of buying the last gen console as eventually, the support/games won’t be around for it. 
  • Options
    Just watched the Xbox/Bethesda thing on Bethesda's YouTube channel, regarding exclusivity moving forward Phil Spencer said any existing contracts will be honored and online games already on other platforms will continue to be supported but other than that everything Bethesda moving forward will be on Xbox and gamepass only, first 20 Bethesda titles hit gamepass tommorow.
  • Options
    Just watched the Xbox/Bethesda thing on Bethesda's YouTube channel, regarding exclusivity moving forward Phil Spencer said any existing contracts will be honored and online games already on other platforms will continue to be supported but other than that everything Bethesda moving forward will be on Xbox and gamepass only, first 20 Bethesda titles hit gamepass tommorow.
    To be honest Fallout 76 ended my love of that series, Fallout 4's story was all over the place, but I really enjoyed it. The last great game was probably Skyrim or the first of the newer Wolfenstein games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be honest Fallout 76 ended my love of that series, Fallout 4's story was all over the place, but I really enjoyed it. The last great game was probably Skyrim or the first of the newer Wolfenstein games.
    I liked the Dishonored games, prey and the first new wolfenstein, not played any fallout so I'll play those when they come to gamepass, I think I'll start the evil within at the weekend.
  • Options
    Just ordered the Xbox series S from Game with an extra controller. Girls birthday not until June but I will obviously have to set it up beforehand, you know check it's working. Thinking the Gold subscription rather than ultimate pass, looks like you can upgrade easily enough. Not had a console since a PS2 about 15 years ago so an actually properly excited!
  • Options
    So no Elder Scrolls on PS5?? That would be horrible
  • Options
    So no Elder Scrolls on PS5?? That would be horrible
    Depends whether a deal was agreed pre-microsoft takeover.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Just ordered the Xbox series S from Game with an extra controller. Girls birthday not until June but I will obviously have to set it up beforehand, you know check it's working. Thinking the Gold subscription rather than ultimate pass, looks like you can upgrade easily enough. Not had a console since a PS2 about 15 years ago so an actually properly excited!
    Get live gold from cd keys, 6months is £23, when you enter the code on the console it will offer 1 month free for allowing automatic renewal, get gamepass ultimate for for £1 for the first month and they automatically convert your live gold to gamepass giving you 8 months gamepass for £24, I did it last week when my boy got his series X, I since found out they will convert up to 36 months gold to gamepass but only on the very first time you sign up for gamepass, you could get 3 years gamepass for £139 if you get 36 months live gold, worth doing considering it's currently about £120 for 12 months gamepass and will probably go up later this year.
  • Options
    Just ordered series x from game, still some available with extra accessories etc.
  • Options
    Really wish I hadn't cancelled my pre-order... Can't get one for sensible money at all now! 
  • Options
    From what I am hearing it will be around September when they have produced enough to actually have stock in shops. 
  • Options
    Had my Series X for 2 weeks now and the all round upgrade in every department is really noticeable, I can switch it on from a full shutdown to be in a notoriously long loading game like Assassin's Creed playing from exactly where I left off in less than 20 seconds,

The UI is a bit dated but I expect they know that and will refresh at some point.

Smart delivery is cool so no matter what version of the game you buy it automatically knows your on a Series X and just gives you the optimised for X version and save data etc just carries over unlike the complicated PS5 way of doing it.

Still don't expect any massive first party game's for either console this year other than Halo and Horizon Forbidden West on PS5, I think once E3 is done and Sony have their summer showcase I think we will have a better idea of how the next year will look in terms of exclusives 

I will look to get the digital PS5 around next Christmas probably once supply is back to normal and there are a few new games to play, as whilst I've always played on Xbox I would like to play the big Sony exclusives as I do prefer a good single player campaign/story over multiplayer games as service type things.
  • Options
    Has anyone managed to get their hands on a PS5 over the last few months? I know Covid has ravaged chip production, but its basically impossible to find an outlet where these are available. As soon as they go on sale, they're out of stock 15 seconds later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone managed to get their hands on a PS5 over the last few months? I know Covid has ravaged chip production, but its basically impossible to find an outlet where these are available. As soon as they go on sale, they're out of stock 15 seconds later.
    I managed to get one on Amazon yesterday, delivered today. I would thoroughly recommend using this Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ps5stockalertuk?s=21

Stick notifications on and keep a close eye. There was no way I would have been able to grab one without it.
  • Options
    I managed to get one on Amazon yesterday, delivered today. I would thoroughly recommend using this Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ps5stockalertuk?s=21

Stick notifications on and keep a close eye. There was no way I would have been able to grab one without it.
    I did the same. Got one for myself via Amazon and also via Game for my nephew. The account is spot on 
  • Options
    Got my daughter a series S in May, and thoroughly enjoying it when they are in bed. So far got Minecraft, skate 3 and I've got fight night boxing game. None of these are stretching the hardware all that much! 

Are there are family games that two players can play at once that anyone recommends? We've got two controllers. Any recommendations for games for me would be good as well, willing to give anything a try
  • Options
    There seems to be a shortage of must have games for Ps5 at the moment imo. Will wait a year or so until more are available, and hopefully will be a bit cheaper than £65
  • Options
    There seems to be a shortage of must have games for Ps5 at the moment imo. Will wait a year or so until more are available, and hopefully will be a bit cheaper than £65
    Picked up that new assassins creed for £40, it’s pretty decent. 
  • Options

That site is well worth using, had friends trying since November & 3 have got one this last 7 days using that site & all from Argos , they seem to be rolling more out every day now
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Got my daughter a series S in May, and thoroughly enjoying it when they are in bed. So far got Minecraft, skate 3 and I've got fight night boxing game. None of these are stretching the hardware all that much! 

Are there are family games that two players can play at once that anyone recommends? We've got two controllers. Any recommendations for games for me would be good as well, willing to give anything a try
    Check out It takes two, split screen, couch co-op puzzle solving platformer, really really good, for yourself, assuming you have Gamepass then both Ori games are amazing, all 3 Dishonored games are well worth playing and I went back and played both Wolfenstein games again and running around killing Nazi's is still as good as it was first time round!! 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Check out It takes two, split screen, couch co-op puzzle solving platformer, really really good, for yourself, assuming you have Gamepass then both Ori games are amazing, all 3 Dishonored games are well worth playing and I went back and played both Wolfenstein games again and running around killing Nazi's is still as good as it was first time round!! 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Absolutely loving my PS5. Controller and graphics are on another level. I questioned my sanity but bought one on eBay for £50 more than retail, but asked for receipt images etc and went with it. Glad I did, has been worth every penny so far.