Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barnsley threatening EFL ahead of Disciplinary action for Wednesday, Derby & Birmingham

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:
    Stewart said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Wednesday have released half thier squad as of the end of the month! 
    Because that know they will be playing league 1 football??? 

But they won't be playing League 1 football.
    We all know that the EFL will announce the points deduction at the end of the season - if the massives are 12 points clear of relegation the points deduction will be 11 points.

My Wednesday supporting friend (yes yes I know) who works in the legal profession thinks they are going to get absolutely hammered by the efl. 

I think I said on here after our home game against them that Wednesday fans on the train back to London Bridge were telling me they were expecting a hammering - 26 points they reckoned.
    I really can't see it happening.
    They were talking about 26 points, but done so the get docked the minimum to get mathematical regelegated this season and carry the rest over to get season. 
  • Sheff Wed only have 49 points if half their squad are going it wouldn't surprise me if they get relegated even without a points deduction. 
  • Whilst true we can't afford the wages of these frees if they're even after a half of what they're on at Sheff Wed.  We appear to be paying average L1 wages.  If we are allowed to sign players close season, I guess there are plenty of young talented L1 and L2 footballers out there who have been released who Gallen's noticed.

Good luck to Morgan, quite a few clubs were after him mid-season.  He'd not have been on the Prem wages that Rhodes, Forrestieri, Fletcher and Hooper was on.
  • Just goes to show how silly this restart is. Wednesday will be at least 5 players down, with 4 loans still to be confirmed. They play Huddersfield and Middlesbrough, which could affect relegation hugely. It's almost like having an entirely different team added into the league right at the end. Nuts
    If they couldn't find away to make ooc players play after the 30th of June (which they never could have done) they should of had a 2 week transfer window and started on the 1st July. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Wednesday have released half thier squad as of the end of the month! 
    But misleading that. They haven't released half of their squad. Most of the players going are refusing to sign extensions beyond 30 June, including Fletcher and Fox. 
  • edited June 2020

Sheffield Wednesday top scorer Steven Fletcher is one of three players to reject a contract extension.

The 33-year-old Scotland international has scored 13 goals in 30 appearances for far in the 2019-20 season.

Fellow striker Fernando Forrestieri, 30, and defender Morgan Fox, 26, will also leave when their current deals expire at the end of June.

But midfielder Sam Hutchinson and striker Sam Winnall have both been released.

The Owls say that "talks remain ongoing" about loan extensions for Alessio Da Cruz, Jacob Murphy, Connor Wickham and Josh Windass.

• Their next game after this weekend is Wednesday.....1st July. Therefore all those players will be playing their last match on Saturday. Interesting to see what players they then select after then. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Their next game after this weekend is Wednesday.....1st July. Therefore all those players will be playing their last match on Saturday. Interesting to see what players they then select after then. 
    One would hope that the punishment will be known by then.
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just goes to show how silly this restart is. Wednesday will be at least 5 players down, with 4 loans still to be confirmed. They play Huddersfield and Middlesbrough, which could affect relegation hugely. It's almost like having an entirely different team added into the league right at the end. Nuts
    If they couldn't find away to make ooc players play after the 30th of June (which they never could have done) they should of had a 2 week transfer window and started on the 1st July. 
    You must be joking. Clubs would have spent a fortune on loans to get promoted/avoid relegation. Can you imagine Taylor rocking up at Middlesbrough! It would be more unfair than what it is now.
    Yeah and that's a good example, but..... 

We were lucking that villa, westham, WBA etc let us keep thier loan players they didn't have to. 

Then Nabby, Hemmed and others didn't have to agree to play. 

We could have been in a situation where we only had 14 or 15 players. 
  • ross1 said:

Sheffield Wednesday top scorer Steven Fletcher is one of three players to reject a contract extension.

The 33-year-old Scotland international has scored 13 goals in 30 appearances for far in the 2019-20 season.

Fellow striker Fernando Forrestieri, 30, and defender Morgan Fox, 26, will also leave when their current deals expire at the end of June.

The Owls say that "talks remain ongoing" about loan extensions for Alessio Da Cruz, Jacob Murphy, Connor Wickham and Josh Windass.

I'm amazed that clubs have left this so late. It was great work by Bowyer and Gallen to get the player contracts sorted before the season resumed, instead of will they, won't they dragging on as a distraction.

The reason we were forced to do it relates to our league position I suspect. Other teams in mid table may have viewed the situation differently. Having said that, Wednesday will have know that the threat of a points reduction was hanging over them. Even a more modest one would make relegation a possibility.
  • Sheff Wed only have 49 points if half their squad are going it wouldn't surprise me if they get relegated even without a points deduction. 
    Relegation au naturel this season, massive points deduction next season all but guaranteeing another relegation.

Boo hoo, I'd feel so sad for them.
  • I think 49 points may be enough to stay up.
  • Massive club, massive cheats, massive reduction.
  • ross1 said:

I'm amazed that clubs have left this so late. It was great work by Bowyer and Gallen to get the player contracts sorted before the season resumed, instead of will they, won't they dragging on as a distraction.

The reason we were forced to do it relates to our league position I suspect. Other teams in mid table may have viewed the situation differently. Having said that, Wednesday will have know that the threat of a points reduction was hanging over them. Even a more modest one would make relegation a possibility.
    Other threatened clubs announced their exits far later. A by product of us acting early was that Lyle Taylor became quite famous in the wider football world...
  • ross1 said:

Other threatened clubs announced their exits far later. A by product of us acting early was that Lyle Taylor became quite famous in the wider football world...
    I'm sure all our lads are good lads anyway, but I wonder if our other players saw the backlash and just thought 'sod it, I'll play' rather than getting dragged in the media like Lyle was
  • I imagine plenty of others thought 'sod it I'll fake an injury'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Their next 4 games are Bristol City, West Brom, Swansea and Preston so those 49 points aren't going to increase much.

However given Hull need 3 wins to overtake them i don't think they need to worry much yet.
  • I have a feeling the hearing will finish today and punishment known before any of the Championship games kick off this weekend.

If there is a right to appeal it should come with the warning that if it fails there will be additional point deductions.

I am assuming guilty because the whole of football know they are.
  • The only thing I can say with some certainty, is that the EFL punishment will make many people unhappy...
  • The only thing I can say with some certainty, is that the EFL punishment will make many people unhappy...
    Not massively unhappy then ?
  • Sage said:
    They’re pathetic, a disgrace, and simply not fit for purpose.

I just wish there was another footballing body/organisation that clubs could just turn around to the EFL and say, “screw you we’re leaving and will be playing and competing in their leagues instead”.

It will be the same outcome with Derby and Sheffield Wednesday because they’re scared of them. Yet they’ll continue to punish and hurt the smaller clubs because the attention is not so focused, the coverage isn’t there.

They punish clubs financially and by deducting points when clubs are struggling to stay afloat. But do absolutely nothing to others who blatantly and so openly break the rules without a care in the world.

Beyond a joke.
    There's no reason why any new group can't form a new league.

The Football League did it themselves in competition with the FA back in 1888.
  • edited June 2020
    Addickted said:
    Redrobo said:
    Can't help thinking that, with Charlton under investigation, this is a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Oh for the days that all football matters could be decided on the pitch and financial madness was not such a feature.
    I think there is a huge gulf between not sending forms in and outright cheating.
    This.

The Company that bought Hillsborough weren't even registered at Companies House until the year after Wednesday put the sale receipts into their accounts.
    If that's true then SheffW ought to be bang to rights. 

Aside from EFL's perpetual incompetence and wanton negligence there remains the very strong chance that person or persons (hitherto unnamed) at EFL met massive's representatives (significant among whom are no longer employed there) and the ground sale fiddle was discussed.  Irrespective of the cynical simplicity of massive's malfeasance EFL won't have a leg to stand on.

Even if EFL can hold on to any aspect of the case for the prosecution, then get a conviction; Wednesday will have some right of appeal against probably the decision and then the punishment.  This will be sufficient motivation for EFL to kick the punishment can down the road into next season "y'know next season needs to start with teams in divisions and all that, guv".  Later on in 2021 some meagre narrative scolding will be doled out with nebulous 'supervision of future conduct' finger wagging bullshit.

EFL won't do anything meaningful unless and until there is some imminent tangible cost to themselves they can't dodge any other way.  (Relatively) Well supported clubs with wealthy experienced businessmen type owners have virtually nothing to fear from the callow witless whores masquerading as the authoritative arbiter.  As with all cowards and hypocrites, EFL will stick the boot in when a broken and defenseless victim is already on its knees in no condition to fight back - e.g. Bury  - saddest of all the recent version of CAFC fits the profile as puny enough for EFL to have a go here too.
  • Redrobo said:
    I have a feeling the hearing will finish today and punishment known before any of the Championship games kick off this weekend.

If there is a right to appeal it should come with the warning that if it fails there will be additional point deductions.

This is what we all know should happen.

But the right of appeal stymies getting it done in timely fashion - that'll "need" weeks and months so it can be independent and fair and all that slippery bollocks.  Just take how Birmingham were given a free pass to carry on breaking rules and ignore punishment.

Barnsley's threat of action is all well and good but we all know they're shouting in an empty room with nobody to hear them, at least nobody who ever gave a fig in the first place.
  • Redrobo said:
    I have a feeling the hearing will finish today and punishment known before any of the Championship games kick off this weekend.

This is what we all know should happen.

But the right of appeal stymies getting it done in timely fashion - that'll "need" weeks and months so it can be independent and fair and all that slippery bollocks.  Just take how Birmingham were given a free pass to carry on breaking rules and ignore punishment.

Barnsley's threat of action is all well and good but we all know they're shouting in an empty room with nobody to hear them, at least nobody who ever gave a fig in the first place.
    It is now with an independent panel. I am not sure who/if they can appeal.
  • I think they will have a right of appeal to the Court of arbitration for sport.