Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Great to see lizards so near London, the nearest I've seen a reptile to London is Hever (so miles outside) where a slow worm (I think) scuttled in front of me
    We had slow worms in our little wood when I went Thortree, but that was about 37 odd years ago 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    We regularly get woodpeckers but I've no idea if they're quite common or not. 
    Greater Spotteds are fairly common in SE London; Greens are a bit more unusual in the city. Lesser Spotteds would be an insane find; I've never seen one
    Plenty of green woodpeckers at Camberwell Old and New Cemeteries, and occasionally at Nunhead Cemetery. Also seen blackcaps and a tree creeper in Peckham Rye Park. The meadow areas at Burgess Park are swarming with Housemartins feeding at the moment, which is a real spectacle.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I've seen quite a few wagtails, but oddly only in car parks and that is from the City of London to Bexleyheath.

Pied Wagtail  NatureSpot
    I used to love seeing them in Tesco Foots Cray when I worked nearby. Like you, I've only ever seen Pied Wagtails in carparks and never anywhere remotely green. 

I've edited to specify Pied Wagtails in carparks, as I've seen Grey Wagtails near the rivers in Dartford and Foots Cray. 
    Yep. There are always plenty in motorway service station car parks too.
  • Options
    I've been seeing a lot of shrews in Stone, I live next to a small woodland so there's lots of bugs for them. 

I haven't seen them in the woods, they've instead been in various areas of my house thanks to my cat. 

Also, this is further out but very cool - wild bison being reintroduced to Kent https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/10/wild-bison-to-return-to-uk-kent
  • Options
    My neighbour is getting some work done on her roof and has told me that we have a bird nest in our guttering. Does anyone know how I should deal with it? I’m assuming I can’t (and wouldn’t) get it removed if still active?!?
  • Options
    My neighbour is getting some work done on her roof and has told me that we have a bird nest in our guttering. Does anyone know how I should deal with it? I’m assuming I can’t (and wouldn’t) get it removed if still active?!?

Keep an eye on it mate, and if there's no activity over a few days and obviously no eggs in it, take it away.

If there are eggs in it, they should only need 1 minute on a rolling boil. ;)

@SuedeAdidas

• Options
    Found this lovely Golden Oriole in the middle of the road this morning, cars driving straight over it (hard to believe really as it ain't a small bird, and it was clear to see from a good few yards away. I see it!). Anyway, He seems to have a broken wing, but he's eating plenty of one of my Mrs "super foods" out the fridge, and I've put a big handfull of leaves from the woods floor in the box with plenty of bugs in there for him to look for. Left the open box in the dog run, not with the dogs, so he's free to go for a wonder if he wants. If he's still going in the morning, we'll work out what we're going to do with him then. Though I'd share some photos anyway as they're lovley birds and very rare to see -

How's the little guy doing mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hanging in there mate, tried to add a video earlier of him eating from my hand, but can't seem to upload it. I managed to bind his wing up with a little bit of masking tape and he's running about now too. Spoke to a gamekeeper friend today who has dealt with similar with song birds and he said it's very rare for them to fly well enough to be able to be released after breaking their wing, so we'll wait and see how it goes
  • Options
    Looks like you've got yourself a pet bird then !! 
  • Options
    Went on a bit of a road trip and took the injured oriole to a wildlife centre today. Other than the woman saying she thought he was a kingfisher, I think its the best place for him
    Good for you mate ... great pics by the way 
  • Options
    Well thanks to you, hopefully the little guy has a nice few years (flight free)in him.
  • Options
    Cheers. The place I took it too seems to have a few "long term" residents, so hopefully he'll fit right in. 
  • Options
    This kind of old leaf igloo appeared in the garden a few days ago, no idea what made it but my cat avoids it, we leave it alone unless we see a rat.
  • Options
    Saw a hedgehog last night in New Eltham, first one I've seen here. Colleague also saw one this morning up the road in Mottingham. 
  • Options
    I know this isn't inner city wildlife but thought I'd share.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8554479/Brockfast-garden-restaurant-set-lockdown-earned-stripes-local-badgers.html?fbclid=IwAR0fopWuy5v2pc3QeDrdQ41de7qcGT54YRJkfeV-KOREGABlzbOnW71IOrs

Mr Stewart has set up a Facebook group of which I am a member. He has had us all amazed at the wonderful pictures of the wildlife which comes to his garden every night. He has had as many as 11 badgers in his garden at a time, plus foxes, hedgehogs and a cat who has become known as badger cat as he seems to think he is a badger!

• Options
    I saw a frog in my garden yesterday which doesn’t sound unusual but I filled in the pond some years ago and assumed they would head elsewhere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw a hedgehog last night in New Eltham, first one I've seen here. Colleague also saw one this morning up the road in Mottingham. 
    Im still hoping to see a hedgehog, dont think ive seen one since i was kid.
    I was sat in the garden when the sun went down tonight and saw a bat, it even flew around me pretty close as i sat still and could hear it. Im quite chuffed
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Im still hoping to see a hedgehog, dont think ive seen one since i was kid.
    I was sat in the garden when the sun went down tonight and saw a bat, it even flew around me pretty close as i sat still and could hear it. Im quite chuffed
    I saw one about a fortnight ago for the first time in over a year. There used to be loads of them when I was younger, but not any more. I think they are a victim of some of the big storms we've had over the last 20 years or so. As people's fences have got knocked down by winds, they've replaced them with ones with concrete gravel boards.  If these were a thing in the past, I'm sure they'd have only been for rich people. Nowadays it seems like everyone has a big block of concrete at the bottom of their fence, consequently the little hogs don't have the freedom of movement they need to thrive. It's a crying shame.

Thats a good theory.
    Gravel boards do preserve the fence panels longer though.
    I remember as a kid rescuing one that had got an empty tin of cat or dog food stuck on it. Hope they do come back hedgehogs are cool.
  • Options
    The shabbiness of the fences in my back garden help the little things! They need gaps in the fence to get through and find food, otherwise they are SOL
  • Options
    Discovered a huge caterpillar in my flowerpot this morning, it's about three inches long. Any idea on what it might transform into? 

• Options
    Reckon a moth and guess at emperor moth as it's the only one I know
  • Options
    Reckon a moth and guess at emperor moth as it's the only one I know
    I get quite a lot of different butterflys and moths in the garden, and there was a large grey moth on the patio a few days ago. I will do some research, thank you!