Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    I've seen quite a few wagtails, but oddly only in car parks and that is from the City of London to Bexleyheath.

Pied Wagtail  NatureSpot
    I saw one clamped in a Croydon car park a couple of years back.
  • Options
    Aww, he wants to be friends!
  • Options
    Lots of Muntjac sightings in the woods near me recently when they normally keep pretty well hidden. I saw one a couple of weeks ago, thought it was a big dog at first then realised there was a little fat deer standing staring at me
  • Options
    Just literally ran into this guy in the Starbucks queue. Only second time I’ve seen a bear in whistler village in 13 years...
    Wants a decaf skinny latte with almond milk
  • Options
    He was drinking last night and needs a strong coffee now

He's a bear with a sore head
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm a little grizzly in the mornings before I have my cappuccino too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too many postings from non urban areas and way beyond inner London. Anything beyond Charlton station doesn’t count. We want our London back 

Not the most exciting wildlife in the world, but this should satisfy your needs for urbanisation:

• Options
    Not really inner city but saw these near my house in hextable/swanley. A slowworm and a european glow worm. Didnt realise we had glowworms in UK until I came across this.
    My eldest son is the Ranger at the Chafford Gorge Essex Heritage Trust site in Grays. He has glow worms there. People come from all over the UK and Europe to see them on his night tours. 
    Wow......like I say....i didnt even realise we had them! I'll have to go along
  • Options
    Genuinely surprised and pleased that glow worms exist so near London.

Funnily the first I heard about glow worms in this country was only a couple of weeks ago, in woods near Shrewsbury 
  • Options
    Not really inner city but saw these near my house in hextable/swanley. A slowworm and a european glow worm. Didnt realise we had glowworms in UK until I came across this.
    My eldest son is the Ranger at the Chafford Gorge Essex Heritage Trust site in Grays. He has glow worms there. People come from all over the UK and Europe to see them on his night tours. 
    It's a lovely 200 acre site with 4 lakes as well. It runs parallel to Lakeside. My son has transformed the site in the 4 years he's been there. 
    It's a lovely place. I haven't seen them personally when I've visited, but I understand there are some rare orchids there too.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It's a lovely 200 acre site with 4 lakes as well. It runs parallel to Lakeside. My son has transformed the site in the 4 years he's been there. 
    It's a lovely place. I haven't seen them personally when I've visited, but I understand there are some rare orchids there too.
    Yes he counts his orchids regularly! Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago someone from a residential house wanted a picnic during the lock down so cleared a space in the long grass with a lawn mower. As you can imagine he was incandescent with rage. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    rina said:
    Lots of Muntjac sightings in the woods near me recently when they normally keep pretty well hidden. I saw one a couple of weeks ago, thought it was a big dog at first then realised there was a little fat deer standing staring at me
    Betty Hutchins?

I am sure Betty would have seen the funny side of this.😋🥰
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've seen quite a few wagtails, but oddly only in car parks and that is from the City of London to Bexleyheath.

Pied Wagtail  NatureSpot
    Well known for their dogging predilection 
  • Options

Pied Wagtail  NatureSpot
    There are birds that look like this that hang around the dump in Bromley (along with the regular crows etc). Not sure if it is them but whatever they are they're very confident, in and around the cars not really bothered about anything. 
  • Options
    Seen a few in Beckenham High Street, as you say they seem to be fearless and will only fly away at the last minute if they can't walk away fast from danger.
  • Options
    Tried to get a better picture of these three last week (in Belvedere) but they wouldn't stay put.

• Options
    Great to see lizards so near London, the nearest I've seen a reptile to London is Hever (so miles outside) where a slow worm (I think) scuttled in front of me
  • Options
    I found a dead bird (a starling) outside my front door (which faces out onto some open land) yesterday

I left it there, assuming that one of nature's scavengers would take it, a fox, magpie or crow. But no, it's still there this morning, I think the scavengers prefer takeaways and junk food now!