Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    Uboat said:
    We get red kites flying over Barnet these days. Unimaginable a decade ago. 
    That's brilliant. They've been so successful since being reintroduced to the Chilterns not that long ago, but I never realised that had reached the edge of London now
    We have about a dozen out the back of my house in Ruislip, it's rare to look out the window and not be able to see at least one of them. I've taken to lying in the hammock in the garden and watching them circle overhead, it's quite relaxing

We also have regular visits from ring necked parakeets and a buzzard that pops over every now and again
  • Options
    2 badgers and one buzzard seen in Beckenham 
  • Options
    I like foxes. Except when they're mating or their cubs are fighting and making a massive racket at 2 in the morning outside my bedroom :D
  • Options
    Had a family of foxes(5 cubs minimum) living under our extension for the last 2 months. Drives our dog nuts and can't wait to get rid of them, but can't do anything until the cubs move out.
  • Options
    I made a list of every breed of bird I saw or heard in my SE12 garden in 2019. There were at least 25 different varieties.
    Biggest surprises were a tawny owl and a cuckoo.
    A couple of years back there was a hawk moth in the garden. Was an absolute joy, couldn't believe my luck, I actually thought it was a hummingbird at first.
  • Options
    We regularly get woodpeckers but I've no idea if they're quite common or not. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Greater Spotteds are fairly common in SE London; Greens are a bit more unusual in the city. Lesser Spotteds would be an insane find; I've never seen one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Greater Spotteds are fairly common in SE London; Greens are a bit more unusual in the city. Lesser Spotteds would be an insane find; I've never seen one
    It's the green ones we always get. 
  • Options
    I've seem Green woodpeckers on Hampstead Heath, they and the Greater Spotteds are fairly common there
  • Options
    There’s got to be a joke there somewhere!
  • Options
    For anyone who want's to know what they've seen or keep a catalogue of sightings, I can thoroughly recommend iNaturalist. Apart from the computer algorithm that helps you to make identifications, there are plenty of helpful experts on there. I've posted over 4,000 observations there since joining three years ago.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&subview=grid&user_id=jarvo&verifiable=any
  • Options
    Bumped into this beauty walking around the local golf course here in Whistler the other day...
    I have to ask. How frightening was it?
  • Options
    F**k that !!!!!
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Bumped into this beauty walking around the local golf course here in Whistler the other day...
    I have to ask. How frightening was it?
    Needed to work on his putt
  • Options

This was a Buzzard spotted over Eltham being attacked by crows
    Looks like a flying shark. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This was a Buzzard spotted over Eltham being attacked by crows
    Looks like a flying shark. 
    Don't get sharks in London mate
  • Options
    A nice little stroll around your local golf cub.
  • Options
    The management was furious as he's not a member
  • Options
    I would definitely need to pop into the pro shop to get some new trousers. 
  • Options
    Not as exciting as a big bear on a golf course, but I saw a bat in my garden again last night! 
  • Options
    We've gone from trainspotting to birdwatching!
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    We've gone from trainspotting to birdwatching!
    Speak for yourself squire.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
     Presumably looking for somewhere to nest.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @Uboat - actually not too frightening, we see a bunch of black bears in Spring and Autumn around in the valley here. When I first saw one, not long after I moved here I crapped myself!! Used to them now though... if I saw a grizzly bear that close however, different story.