Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Songs you didn't know were covers

Comments

• Options
    Blinded by the Light - Bruce Springsteen - 1973
    Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann’s EB - 1977

• Options
    I had to introduce my piano teacher to the original 'Mad World.' I can't believe that he teaches people this song, has about 10 different versions of it on his phone, and not one of them is Tears for Fears. That's the French and music for you. I blame the bloody radio and the discontinuation onTV of the only equivalent to Jools Holland .
  • Options
    Love In Vain - The Rolling Stones

This is not entirely my fault.  On the original 1969 vinyl album Let It Bleed the song had the usual Jagger/Richards accreditation.  In fairness there are some lyric/arrangement differences.  But more recent versions of the album (correctly in my view) show the song was written (and recorded) by the superb Robert Johnson (in around 1937).

Handbags and Gladrags - Rod Stewart 

To my shame, I misled a good friend who thought Handbags and Gladrags was an original Stereophonics song.  With much derision I told her the original was by Rod Stewart about 30 years earlier.  In fact Chris Farlowe did it first a few years earlier than Rod's version.  It was written by Mike D'Abo of Manfred Mann. 
  • Options
    Love TKO by Teddy Pendergrass. Recorded first by David Oliver.
  • Options
    And, as mentioned on the opening guitar chord thread yesterday: Breezing by George Benson was written by Bobby Womack and originally recorded by Womack with Gabor Szabo.
  • Options
    Dirty old town, The Pogues, originally sung by The Dubliners.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Dirty old town, The Pogues, originally sung by The Dubliners.
    Originally sung and written by Ewan MacColl. About Salford.
  • Options
    Always loved I'd rather go blind by Chickenshack / Christine Perfect. 

Never realised Etta James was there first.  My interest rekindled in this track by Beth Hart's version which is absolutely brilliant, and with Joe Bonamassa on guitar even better.
  • Options
    Toploader's Dancing In The Moonlight. I was playing random classic rock songs on Spotify in the car when this track came on by a band called King Harvest. They released it in 1972!
    I always thought this was a Thin Lizzy original !! .. lol .. similar lyrics, different song ?
  • Options
    I wish it would rain - Rod Stewart live Coast to Coast album - didn’t know the original was by the Temptations till I heard it play in a mate’s car. 

Same thing happened with Another Chance by Roger Sanchez - didn’t know it sampled a Toto song. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    using a sample is not a cover version
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Blinded by the Light - Bruce Springsteen - 1973
    Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann’s EB - 1977

I have just heard the Springsteen version for the first time (on Planet Rock) .. the Bruce version is long with (I m o) poor production and his voice sounds strained .. great song though .. I have always liked the M M version, much more 'dramatic' and superbly sung and produced
  • Options
    I should do a cover to cover thread but I'll just post here instead.

Great version of Nilsson's Everybodys Talkin' by Tedeschi Trucks Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWbBC0SouU

• Options
    ^^^^ Husband & wife team .. Derek Trucks is a tremendous guitarist (nephew of original Allman Brothers Band drummer)
  • Options
    Try a little tenderness by Otis Redding (1966) first recorded 1932 by the Ray Noble orchestra and after that Bing Crosby.
  • Options
    ^^^^ Husband & wife team .. Derek Trucks is a tremendous guitarist (nephew of original Allman Brothers Band drummer)

Agree. Interesting playing style. Really good band (12 piece!) and I'd recommend any blues, rock and even funk fans to listen to then if you havent already.
  • Options
    Growing up I thought "It Must Be Love" by Madness, was an original, only to find out it was none other than Labi Siffre. Who incidentally sings "(Something Inside) So Strong" which is a CL anthem. 
  • Options
    Growing up I thought "It Must Be Love" by Madness, was an original, only to find out it was none other than Labi Siffre. Who incidentally sings "(Something Inside) So Strong" which is a CL anthem. 
    Isn’t Labi Siffre in the Madness video for the song?
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Try a little tenderness by Otis Redding (1966) first recorded 1932 by the Ray Noble orchestra and after that Bing Crosby.
    Wow. Massive soul fan but never knew that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:
    Wow. Massive soul fan but never knew that
    Same here, I'm amazed at that.
  • Options
    A few off the top of my head (think everyone will know the Soft Cell ones?)

Come tomorrow - Manfred Man  Original by Marie Knight

Do wah diddy diddy – Manfred Man Original by The Exciters

Go now – Moody Blues original by Bessie Banks

What - Soft Cell Original Judy Street

Tainted Love Soft Cell Original by Gloria Jones (when she was a mere 13 years old!!!)

• Options
    Martin Simpson does a beautiful version of ‘ let it be me’ , I had no idea it was a Bob Dylan song.
  • Options
    Rolling Stones ‘Not fade away’. 

Originally a song by Buddy Holly. I did not know this until very recently. 

• Options
    Dazed and confused - Led Zeppelin
    "Dazed and Confused was written by the folk-rock singer Jake Holmes and released as a track in his debut album "The Above Ground Sound" Of Jake Holmes in 1967. That same year Jake Holmes opened for The Yardbirds in a show in New York where Jimmy Page heard the song. The song was rearranged and later became one of Led Zeppelin best-known songs, the debt to Jake Holmes however went largely unacknowledged by the band until 2012."

• Options
    Streets of London - Ralph McTell (Original)
    Streets of London - Roger Whittaker
    There's a version by "Blackmore's Night" that I like as well.
  • Options
    Might like "Midnight in Harlem" by them, "Tedeschi Trucks Band". 
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    Martin Simpson does a beautiful version of ‘ let it be me’ , I had no idea it was a Bob Dylan song.
    Neither did Bob

Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens" interpreted by Gilbert Bécaud. It became popular worldwide with an English version by the Everly Brothers and later with the duet by Betty Everett and Jerry Butler.
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    Neither did Bob

Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens" interpreted by Gilbert Bécaud. It became popular worldwide with an English version by the Everly Brothers and later with the duet by Betty Everett and Jerry Butler.
    Cheers Bob, ...hangs head in shame...
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    Dazed and confused - Led Zeppelin
    "Dazed and Confused was written by the folk-rock singer Jake Holmes and released as a track in his debut album "The Above Ground Sound" Of Jake Holmes in 1967. That same year Jake Holmes opened for The Yardbirds in a show in New York where Jimmy Page heard the song. The song was rearranged and later became one of Led Zeppelin best-known songs, the debt to Jake Holmes however went largely unacknowledged by the band until 2012."

"Largely unacknowledged" means totally ignored and had to take them to court to get some royalties.

Just the same as with Stairway to Heaven and many of "their" songs.

Zeppelin one of the worst bands for for stealing off other musicians.