Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Songs you didn't know were covers

I love the cover to cover threads but there are some I wonder how I never knew it was a cover. 

I'll kick it off and really torn on this one which I think is better to be honest.

Caravan of Love - Housemartins
Caravan of Love - Isley Jasper Isley

Would love to know more I hadn't been aware off. 

Comments

• Without you.  Thought it was Harry Nilsson.   Heard the original Badfinger 3 weeks ago and think it's the best version.

Never heard of them before and read their Wikipedia page.  Really tragic story.
  • Just today I was playing a tribute cd to the Carter Family and realised that Bear Creek was by them originally. Not John Prine as I thought.
  • Rockin all over the world - Status Quo.
  • edited May 2020
    I Fought the Law not originally by the Bobby Fuller Four
  • Didn't realise until yesterday that Shapeshifter's Lola's Theme samples Johnnie Taylor.

Also Bucketheads the Bomb sample of Chicago
  • Bon Iver's "Skinny Love" has been copied and I don't think a lot of people realise that ain't an original when listening to the cover
  • If I don't know if a song is a cover, how would I know to post it on here?
  • Sponsored links:

•  I was surprised when I found out that Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" is a Bruce Hornsby song, but to be fair Bruce never previously released his own version, though he regularly plays it live.
  • Streets of London - Ralph McTell (Original)
    Streets of London - Roger Whittaker
  • Stig said:
    I'll be honest I was amazed at this one and started me thinking initially then went to caravan of Love today and was amazed it was an older song
    Charlton Manor song that, never heard it, thought of it, sung it since I was 10

Love you rob
  • Enjoy yourself (it's later than you think) was a Specials song. I thought the Prince Buster version was the original but it's much older.
    Charlton Manor song that, never heard it, thought of it, sung it since I was 10

Love you rob
    Always try and stick on me playlists mate. 
  • edited May 2020
     I was surprised when I found out that Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" is a Bruce Hornsby song, but to be fair Bruce never previously released his own version, though he regularly plays it live.
    It's not a Bruce Hornsby song, it was co-written & Hornsby play piano on the song. Great album btw, a few songs co-wriiten by Henley & ex Eagles Danny Kortchmar & JD Souther. Maybe they had an agreement because I cant find Henleys studio track version on YouTube. Been looking for it for years- the only  ones that come up are live versions. 
  • If I don't know if a song is a cover, how would I know to post it on here?
    Didn’t, not don’t.
    Best version by Anti Nowhere League.
  • Toploader's Dancing In The Moonlight. I was playing random classic rock songs on Spotify in the car when this track came on by a band called King Harvest. They released it in 1972!
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonderwall not being an original Oasis song.
    Huh? What’s the story (morning...) behind that one?
  • Robin Williams covered World Party’s She’s the one. Personally, I prefer the original.
  • Toploader's Dancing In The Moonlight. I was playing random classic rock songs on Spotify in the car when this track came on by a band called King Harvest. They released it in 1972!
    Wow fucking wow

This song means a lot to me as my daughter used to say this was 'daddy's favourite song' in about 2000, when she was 2. 

I feel abused by toploader that this would be in my top 20 songs for sentimental reasons, original far far better. 

Thank you @Bangkokaddick

Mike flowers covered it? 
  • Robin Williams covered World Party’s She’s the one. Personally, I prefer the original.
    Minds blown
  • Valley Floyd Road.  Technically that is a cover, because some Beatles tribute band released it first, with weird lyrics. 
  • And the Notts Forest fans before us. 
  • se9addick said:
    Wonderwall not being an original Oasis song.
    Huh? What’s the story (morning...) behind that one?
    Mike Flowers Pops claim it's theirs.

Haven't listened to that for 25 years....just watched in on youtube and hilarious and really well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTfZshkNZRw