Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Signed shirt - Who's Who?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Talal said:
    The one to right of Mesh is J. Something, looking through the squad we had 3 J's, Robinson, Fortune and Barnes so leaning towards Fortune.
    I was also on the Fortune one,but there is a lot of signed bits from him,after looking,I ruled him out too...I was even lookin for a Tony or someone beginning with R...

it’s a good mystery tho,isn’t it...!!!

even got to the point,I’ve been trying to find Richard Murray’s,but 100% sure someone on here would have known,if it was...👍
  • Options
    Talal said:
    The one to right of Mesh is J. Something, looking through the squad we had 3 J's, Robinson, Fortune and Barnes so leaning towards Fortune.
    I was also on the Fortune one,but there is a lot of signed bits from him,after looking,I ruled him out too...I was even lookin for a Tony or someone beginning with R...

even got to the point,I’ve been trying to find Richard Murray’s,but 100% sure someone on here would have known,if it was...👍
    Staff member perhaps? Jimmy Hendry was physio at the time wasn't he though I'm not sure he'd be signing shirts! 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

Staff member perhaps? Jimmy Hendry was physio at the time wasn't he though I'm not sure he'd be signing shirts! 
    Who was the chubby pie-throwing physio? I'd love to think that he signed a few shirts.
  • Options
    Here's the story so far, can we get the others?

The only one I've not put on yet out of those suggested is Deal Keily. I looked online and there are several they all seem to have a very large D with the e inside it, looking like a hurriedly drawn Easter egg. @ElfsborgAddick, can I ask did you mean the one in the bottom right corner, and how certain are you?

• Options
    Nicking from the other photo there's Pringle and Tiler above Hunt. 
    To left of Konchesky mght be Mark Bowen.
    Under PLC what about Danny Shittu? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Here's the story so far, can we get the others?

The only one I've not put on yet out of those suggested is Deal Keily. I looked online and there are several they all seem to have a very large D with the e inside it, looking like a hurriedly drawn Easter egg. @ElfsborgAddick, can I ask did you mean the one in the bottom right corner, and how certain are you?

Sorry Stig, whose signature and where?

Since my post a few others have corrected my thoughts.

I'll then have another stab.
  • Options
    Thanks to some super sleuth work from @ElfsborgAddick and his own collection, we've now got most of them on @Talal's shirt.  Just a handful to get now.

I haven't put the Danny Sittu suggestion on here yet as I wasn't sure. It does look like it could read that but there are several examples online that are all very well defined, identical to each other and different to this. At first I rejected the idea because of the differences, but the more I looked the more I could see some similarities. Could it be that what Talal has is an early prototype Shittu signature? What do others think? Elfs? 

• Options
    Under plc

Scott Snake Parker
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Above the Charlton Badge I thought at first glance was Steve Gritt but I dont think he was around at the time, so the only one that fits in would be

Stuart Balmer ?
  • Options
    Above Sasa looks like Kevin something

So Kevin Lisbie maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Above Deano also looks like it begins with a K, so looking at that timeframe with the other players

Kevin Nicholls
    Kevin James

But I dont really think it looks like either
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Above Kinsella, its very small writting but looks a little like

Keith Jones?
  • Options
    Above Robinson, its probably not as I don't see why he would nake the K so prominent, but the first name looks like it start with a J

John Salako?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Thanks to some super sleuth work from @ElfsborgAddick and his own collection, we've now got most of them on @Talal's shirt.  Just a handful to get now.

I haven't put the Danny Sittu suggestion on here yet as I wasn't sure. It does look like it could read that but there are several examples online that are all very well defined, identical to each other and different to this. At first I rejected the idea because of the differences, but the more I looked the more I could see some similarities. Could it be that what Talal has is an early prototype Shittu signature? What do others think? Elfs? 

I do not think it is Shittu, the signatures are too different.
    Hopefully @cafc999 can help.
  • Options
    Premiership graphs are not really my speciality but I am pretty confident it is not Shittu.

Above the badge looks like Steve Jones and above Johnny Robinson looks like a rushed Jesper Blomqvist, not 100% but the J looks bang on his. 

A good early example of a Mark Kinsella autgraph there where you can make out every letter. 
  • Options
    I think think the one above Robinson is John Barnes,it’s so similar to the Home shirt...just think the marker didn’t catch the whole shirt as he was signing...
  • Options
    I think think the one above Robinson is John Barnes,it’s so similar to the Home shirt...just think the marker didn’t catch the whole shirt as he was signing...
    Could be. I have a Blomqvist that looks similar to that though albeit a very rushed one . But I also have Barnes that is similar.  

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Looking at both of their signatures on ebay I'd say it's almost certainly Barnes.

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Could be. I have a Blomqvist that looks similar to that though albeit a very rushed one . But I also have Barnes that is similar.  

Defo agree that Blomqvist does look very similar too...(1st time I have looked at his to be honest) the plot thickens...
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Looking at both of their signatures on ebay I'd say it's almost certainly Barnes.

Hopefully, the resale value of the shirt is basically dependent on the outcome of that question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:

Comparing an official card to a rushed graph on a shirt is not a great comparison. Some of those man utd cards were either pre printed, auto penned or stamped. I am probably leaning towards Barnes after having another look. I will try and find my jesper to show how awkward authenticating signatures can be. 
  • Options
    Just a quick Google image search shows how many different variations Jesper has.

• Options
    All of the Blomqvist ones have a loop for the top of the 'J' whereas Barnes is much straighter, leading me to think it's likely to be his. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    All of the Blomqvist ones have a loop for the top of the 'J' whereas Barnes is much straighter, leading me to think it's likely to be his. 
    Definitely Barnes' after seeing that card.
  • Options
    Look at the end of Jespers for variations.

As I said, leaning towards Barnes as that era not my speciality 

I will try and sort out some other player example variations later including a John Terry that looks like the letter O. 
  • Options
    Assuming it is Barnes', I've taken close ups of the remaining seven. To the left of Mesh looks like Kevin James and Kevin Nicholls. Above the 'S' of Mesh looks like 'Mike' so maybe Salmon?
    Steve Jones seems most likely for above the badge. 

• Options
    Andy Peterson above Mendonca
    keith Jones below Mendonca
    Jon Fortune & Paul Mortimer above Matt Holmes
    Scott Parker below Plc
    Steve Jones above badge
    Paul Konchesky & Steve Brown below computers
    John Robinson below Barnes
    Carl Tiler below Peacock
    Martin Pringle below Tiler
    Mark Bright below Powell
    Kevin Nichols & Sasa Ilic to left of M
    Simon Royce above M
    Mark Kinsella, Bradley Allen, Mark Bowen to left of Konchesky
    Danny Mills, Graham Stuart above cockerel emblem
  • Options
    Keith Jones would be better than Kevin James!
    Scott Parker's looks quite a bit different on a Google search though. 

• Options
    Talal said:

The reason I said Parker was he fits the time frame 

Also it would have been a very early signature and he may have changed it as the years went on 

But to me its clear therecis an S 2 T'S a P and a squiggle after the P
  • Options
    Talal said:

The reason I said Parker was he fits the time frame 

Also it would have been a very early signature and he may have changed it as the years went on 

But to me its clear therecis an S 2 T'S a P and a squiggle after the P
    Could well be but to me it looks more sophisticated than his current one which would be a bit odd.