Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Peanut Butter?

Comments

• Options
    which supermarket sells Skippy? Sounds like I need to give it a try.
    Sainsburys do. It's the sweetest out there but it's delicious
  • Options
    I think you can find it in some major UK supermarkets, but I’ve been living abroad for a few years now, so not sure.

Just found its available at Sainsbury:

• Options
    Ah, the business end of the forum amid the covid and ownership shenanigans.

Meridian smooth.   
    I've tried lots and Meridian is the best. Rocket fuel when mixed with porridge an hour before exercise.
  • Options
    Lotus spread isn't peanut butter?

I genuinely didn't think about that. The lack of peanuts should have been a clue!- bastards chucking in the same shelf.
  • Options
    I tried Skippy - Horrible. 

A lot of the own brand stuff is super sugary - I don'r not like em, but not for me for fitness purposes. 

For me it's this stuff:

No added junk and I switch between smooth/crunchy. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    This is most definitely the best peanut butter I have EVER had. Puts brands like sunpat into the shade The marmite one has been recommended though. Will try it at some point 

• Options
    Asda's own brand, which I see comes fairly high up on the list.

Otherwise Sun-pat.
  • Options
    Whole earth is the best peanut butter. The cheap ones have far too many additives and sugar in them.

Special mention for the M&S pecan and maple one, very nice but it's pretty sweet so you can't have too much.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

A lot of the own brand stuff is super sugary - I don'r not like em, but not for me for fitness purposes. 

For me it's this stuff:

Great, but does it have any protein in it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The local favorite. Having a hard time keeping up with demand during our lockdown, even though they’ve increased production. 
  • Options
    I can't stand the Whole Earth stuff. Tastes like peanut flavoured soil to me
  • Options
    I always buy the big tub of Meridian smooth.

100% ground peanuts. Nothing else: no added palm oil, no sugar, no artificial sweetener shit.
    If the peanut oil separates in the tub/jar, just stir it back in.

Can't stand any of the sickly sweet sugar loaded, added fats, processed American style peanut margarine. 
    I mean, just look at the list of 'ingredients' on the label.

• Options
    If I could find some anywhere I would tell you.
  • Options
    Lotus spread isn't peanut butter?

There is no substitute for this stuff though

Dreamy in porridge 
    My favourite, although Its a toast only breakfast thing for us. Cosco do it in a much larger and better value than Sainsbury’s smaller jar. 
    I don’t mind Sunpat but the supermarket generic stuff always seems a little dry to me. 
    The hybrid marmite peanut butter I thought I’d like but it’s become the jar at the back of the cupboard that needs binning.  
  • Options
    Don't eat it myself, I just give it to my mice, works a treat
  • Options
    Used to get through jars of it for the dogs, then they changed one of the ingredients to something which is toxic to dogs. So we no longer get so much, my good lady loves it on toast, I can’t stand it. 
  • Options
    When I was a kid I had a Labrador Retriever called Pippa who was a bit on the greedy side who’d beg for scraps. It didn’t take me long to realise it was funny to give her peanut butter because she had a right carry on eating it, trying to get it off her teeth. If I was feeling particularly malicious I’d put some on the end of her nose, laughing as she tried to get herself clean. For the record she never once expressed an opinion on which was her favourite.
  • Options
    Don't eat it myself, I just give it to my mice, works a treat
    Should have added 'works a treat in mice traps' they love the stuff!
  • Options
    The local favorite. Having a hard time keeping up with demand during our lockdown, even though they’ve increased production. 
    Looks great, I’ll try it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    This is most definitely the best peanut butter I have EVER had. Puts brands like sunpat into the shade The marmite one has been recommended though. Will try it at some point 

This looks amazing. I’ll buy some. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

For me it's this stuff:

Don’t have to ask me twice - I’m in. 
  • Options
    I think you can find it in some major UK supermarkets, but I’ve been living abroad for a few years now, so not sure.

Just found its available at Sainsbury:

£2.25? It’s a deal. 
  • Options
    Smooth in case it makes a hasty exit. 
  • Options
    Tried Co-Op own brand (crunchy) through necessity - really good! Spreads much better from the fridge than Sun Pat too. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Tried Co-Op own brand (crunchy) through necessity - really good! Spreads much better from the fridge than Sun Pat too. 
    I think the easiest option there is to never put PB in a fridge. 
    Try telling my missus that Jim...  :D

If you live in Portugal, for eight months of the year the only "Cool, dry place" is the fridge.  
  • Options
    I'm a fan of peanut butter and as choice has expanded I've tried them all. 

The guilty sugary ones are generally samey but nice, cos they are full of sugar. To get real you have to go down to pure squashed, crushed nuts. No additives, palm oil or sweeteners, that's where the purist lives 

Whole earth, pip n nut, meridian all of them are gorgeous even morrisons own brand of pure peanut butter is nice. As a treat I have a big tub of peanut and cashew butter and that is sublime. Someone said about a spoonful of peanut butter in porridge earlier and they are right, sends energy levels through the roof with no sugar crash. I'd eat most of them straight from the jar as well. Love it 

Crunchy or smooth, doesn't bother me 
  • Options
    As a kid, I pretty much lived off peanut butter sandwiches and peanut butter on toast, both preferably involving white Mother's Pride, and definitely not (as one friend's mum once made the mistake of doing) spread with butter first (what was she thinking FFS).

Still a firm favourite in our house, and despite the variety of brands and styles, nothing tops SunPat Crunchy.

I have never tried it in porridge but can confirm that it goes very well with Vanilla ice cream, any type of curry and, if you are on a diet, generously dolloped on sticks of celery.

This thread has now determined what I'm having for breakfast this morning.
  • Options
    Breakfast today - tea, apple juice, toast (home made soda bread), lurpak and Sainsbury’s own brand crunchy peanut butter.
    Lovely.