Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coronavirus - it's not all "bad news"

1131415161719»

Comments

• It’s amazing the amount of different birds that two trees and my roof are attracting at the moment. Sit in the garden and it sounds like I’m in some tropical aviary. 
    Its baby starling season and they make an absolute racket! Very funny to watch them jumping around harassing the adult birds screaming for food.
  • Yeah, wildlife in terms of birds has been a joy to experience.
    Mind you my neighbours cat hates birds mainly due to the fact that birds can fly the feckers, but he can't.
  • edited May 2020
    Carter said:
    It’s amazing the amount of different birds that two trees and my roof are attracting at the moment. Sit in the garden and it sounds like I’m in some tropical aviary. 
    Its baby starling season and they make an absolute racket! Very funny to watch them jumping around harassing the adult birds screaming for food.
    Yep, I've got starlings nesting in the eaves by my living room (luckily in the bit that isn't above my flat) and a load of parakeets in the tree opposite. Also get a bloody great wood pidgeon and some magpies wandering across the adjacent bit of roof as well.
  • Magpies are noisy sods. Squirrels are surprisingly loud when they screech too!
  • aliwibble said:
    Carter said:
    It’s amazing the amount of different birds that two trees and my roof are attracting at the moment. Sit in the garden and it sounds like I’m in some tropical aviary. 
    Yep, I've got starlings nesting in the eaves by my living room (luckily in the bit that isn't above my flat) and a load of parakeets in the tree opposite. Also get a bloody great wood pidgeon and some magpies wandering across the adjacent bit of roof as well.

Loving the bird action in my garden this year. The usual hordes of starlings are visiting accompanied by their little ones, the sparrows are out in force as well. Got about half a dozen blue tits coming to eat off the bird table and hanging feeders as well as a couple of yellow finches. Other regular visitors are a pair of ring necked doves, a pair of pure white pigeons and a few other fat pigeons as well as a couple of jackdaws. My favourites this year though are a family of blackbirds, mum, dad and a fledgling. The male is getting seriously brave around me, calling out for food when he sees me and eating a few feet away. I’m making it my mission to have him feed from my hand.

• And now Danish Superliga club AGF Aarhus are using the technology to bring 10,000 fans to the side of their pitch, despite the season being played behind closed doors when it restarts on Thursday.

At their home game against Randers, AGF will install a giant screen along the side of the pitch, creating what they call "the world's first virtual grandstand" so fans can support the team for free via Zoom - there will even be a section for away fans.

"It's about creating an atmosphere around the game so that the players will see that they have the support from the city even though there are no supporters in the stands," the project's co-ordinator Soren Carlsen told BBC World Service's Mani Djazmi.

"They will hear it, they will feel it and see it on this big screen alongside the pitch."

Carlsen says the idea came from a Danish TV show where artists sing from home and viewers join in via video link.

Three screens have been joined together to make a giant 40x2.8m screen with space for 200 fan images at a time. There will be 22 different sections for fans to choose from and TV coverage of the match will incorporate the virtual supporters.

"It will go alongside the pitch opposite the cameras, so the television station will also incorporate this in the coverage of the game," Carlsen added.

"For instance, you often cut to the spectators when you have a goal. Here, you will cut to the homes of our supporters and then you'll see them celebrate the goal whilst the players run alongside this screen.

"We have only had positive feedback from our fans and also from Randers who will have their own away stand in the virtual stadium.

"It's an opportunity for them to get a sense of the community that they experience around football because it's also about meeting people at the stadium, and here you'll get a chance to meet some of the people that you are usually sitting with during the games.

"We will see how it turns out Thursday night, and if it's fun and it's working then maybe we will do it again at the next game."

Any abusive language will result in expulsion from the meeting by a moderator.

"The same rule goes for Zoom as it does at the stadium," added Carlsen. "We will have some digital stewards and they will be monitoring it, just like the social media platforms at the club. So they can make sure that you don't see anything that you're not supposed to see, and you don't hear any profanities.

• MrWalker said:

And now Danish Superliga club AGF Aarhus are using the technology to bring 10,000 fans to the side of their pitch, despite the season being played behind closed doors when it restarts on Thursday.

At their home game against Randers, AGF will install a giant screen along the side of the pitch, creating what they call "the world's first virtual grandstand" so fans can support the team for free via Zoom - there will even be a section for away fans.

"It's about creating an atmosphere around the game so that the players will see that they have the support from the city even though there are no supporters in the stands," the project's co-ordinator Soren Carlsen told BBC World Service's Mani Djazmi.

"They will hear it, they will feel it and see it on this big screen alongside the pitch."

Carlsen says the idea came from a Danish TV show where artists sing from home and viewers join in via video link.

Three screens have been joined together to make a giant 40x2.8m screen with space for 200 fan images at a time. There will be 22 different sections for fans to choose from and TV coverage of the match will incorporate the virtual supporters.

"It will go alongside the pitch opposite the cameras, so the television station will also incorporate this in the coverage of the game," Carlsen added.

"For instance, you often cut to the spectators when you have a goal. Here, you will cut to the homes of our supporters and then you'll see them celebrate the goal whilst the players run alongside this screen.

"We have only had positive feedback from our fans and also from Randers who will have their own away stand in the virtual stadium.

"It's an opportunity for them to get a sense of the community that they experience around football because it's also about meeting people at the stadium, and here you'll get a chance to meet some of the people that you are usually sitting with during the games.

"We will see how it turns out Thursday night, and if it's fun and it's working then maybe we will do it again at the next game."

Any abusive language will result in expulsion from the meeting by a moderator.

"The same rule goes for Zoom as it does at the stadium," added Carlsen. "We will have some digital stewards and they will be monitoring it, just like the social media platforms at the club. So they can make sure that you don't see anything that you're not supposed to see, and you don't hear any profanities.

Times must be good for AGF Aarhus, this sounds incredibly expensive - guessing they didn’t blow their entire budget on Range Rovers and bitches!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    In Japan fans can sign in live to games and their reactions are broadcast in the stadium through speakers all round a couple of grounds - brilliant.
    Easy to trace any wrong doing and no smoking in the toilet issues!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/japan-launches-remote-cheering-app-to-boost-atmosphere-in-empty-stadiums
  • At least no-one's had to drive home from Fleetwood having wasted their time on that complete and utter rubbish.
  • Stig said:
    At least no-one's had to drive home from Fleetwood having wasted their time on that complete and utter rubbish.
    Would have meant a night in Blackpool as well.

Double good news.