Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2020-21 UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Options
    Scotland 4 points clear with 2 games to go.

Could amazingly win promotion to the A league!
  • Options
    David McGoldrick has retired from international duty
  • Options
    It appears Uefa and the English government have a issue on their hands.

England's Nations League clash with Iceland is in danger of being called off after the UK government's travel ban on anyone entering the country from Denmark - and Premier League clubs are now almost certain to stop some of their stars linking up for international duty to avoid losing them for a fortnight when the season resumes.
  • Options
    We are approaching the final straight.

Promotion and relegation will be decided in the next few days and of course in League A who goes through to the Semi Finals
  • Options
    Home Nations update.

England its straight forward for us lose to Belgium and we cant win the group, beat Belgium and its in our hands, draw to Belgium and we will need Denmark to get a result against Belgium in the final game

Scotland went into their game today 4 points above Czech Republic in 2nd but our 1-0 down at HT and will now be without 2 players(McGinn and Armstrong) for their final match against Israel, if they lose today and their is a winner in the Czech Republic v Israel match later, they will need to go to Israel and get a draw minimum to get promoted(will be more clearly what Scotland need after todays results)

Wales are also top of their group but only 1 point above Finland, they play Ireland at home tonight before finishing in you would expect would be a group decider at home to Finland 

Northern Ireland are away to Austria today and sit bottom of the table, however Romania v Norway has been called off so I am not sure what happens to that game, if Northern Ireland lost they will be 3 points behind Romania and face Romania in the last game, but its looking likely they will be in Division C next time around

And I will and Ireland as well.

If they fail to beat Wales tonight their final game home to Bulis a straight relegation shoot out
  • Options
    Scotland lose 1-0
  • Options
    No Williams or Levitt for Wales even on the bench 

Permission to panic(over Williams not Levitt)

Gunter is on the bench
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Because we drew and lost our 2 games with Denmark they have the head to head tiebreaker over us.
    So even 2 wins from our last 2 games won’t be enough unless Denmark drop points.

Realistically, England need to win in Belgium to stand a chance of winning the group.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    There is a really confusing scenario where Denmark and England both beat Iceland and both draw with Belgium.

in that situation the top 3 will all have 11 points.
    the games against Iceland will then be ignored before looking at goal difference.
    that table would have each of the 3 teams with 1 win, 2 draw and 1 defeat.

i THINK the GD would be

Belgium GD +1
    England GD 0
    Denmark GD -1

so Belgium would win the group
  • Options
    Big game for us tonight. As an avid England away follower, the nations league, as well as providing more competitive games then just friendlies, provides an extra weekend away with the lads in the calendar on the piss. 

Portugal last summer was something special even though we didn’t make it to the final. About 20,000 England fans in Porto I believe! 

It’s what makes tonight so important for me, we win tonight and will be in a very good position to win the group and qualify for the finals. Rumours are the hosts next October will be the winner of Italy’s group which looks like either Poland or Italy at the minute. Both locations great for a knees up! 

So there you go, that’s my reasoning for caring about tonight :) 

Looking forward to seeing Grealish start although missing Maguire, Coady and James at the back. Suspecting Dier will start at CB which doesn’t fill me with that much confidence...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because we drew and lost our 2 games with Denmark they have the head to head tiebreaker over us.
    So even 2 wins from our last 2 games won’t be enough unless Denmark drop points.

Realistically, England need to win in Belgium to stand a chance of winning the group.

Yeah I can’t see Denmark winning both of their games so a win tonight and against Iceland should
    hopefully see us top the group...not in our hands though :(
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Doesnt really matter if we win the Group or not either - Fail to do so and we'll go into a six team World Cup Qualifying Group

Win the Group and we go into a five team Group, and we play two games in the Nations League Finals next October
  • Options
    Where I think it is a big game for England is not so much the competition itself but the opportunity to set a marker down. England are a team that invariably get knocked out when they play a decent side in a crucial game. That is something that has to end and whatever ultimately happens in the group, here is an opportunity to say this England are different.
  • Options
    Doesnt really matter if we win the Group or not either - Fail to do so and we'll go into a six team World Cup Qualifying Group

Win the Group and we go into a five team Group, and we play two games in the Nations League Finals next October
    So it doesn’t matter in regard to how many games we play? Who cares about that?! 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Would be a huge win for Southgate and England if we can do the double over Belgium. Think we will get a draw tonight, but wouldn’t be too surprised if we did them in their backyard.

• Options
    edited November 2020

So it doesn’t matter in regard to how many games we play? Who cares about that?! 
    Just means that failure to reach the Nations League Finals doesnt benefit anyone, same with reaching the Nations League Finals doesnt mean you suddenly have to play more International Games than everyone else - Quite good really as the incentive to quit cup competitions early means that you play less games over the course of the season but doesnt make a difference in this case.

Am sure there are enough people out there who think that advancing in the Nations League doesnt mean that and will straight away presume that we're going to have to play more games than everyone else
  • Options
    Looking at Belgium’s defensive options, I fancy we get a result tonight.
  • Options
    Belgium are decent enough but definitely not the force they were with Hazard on form. Keep KDB quiet and you'll do well against them.
  • Options
    Germany 4-0 down to Spain

Brazilian fans hoping Spain get to 7 so Germany know how it feels 😂😂
  • Options
    When you look at the strength of the German side on show, that’s a horrendous score line. Spain have absolutely battered them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Torres had scored a fifth then, that would have been some goal.
  • Options
    Torres gets his 3rd and Spain’s 5th.
    5-0 would be Germany’s biggest defeat since 1954
  • Options
    Six nil now, and it's a relatively young and inexperienced Spain side!
  • Options
    Germany have looked very average for a while now

They're still in League A of the Nations League simply because UEFA decided to change the format (funny that)
  • Options
    Big night for Gibraltar who have been promoted to League C

Faroe Islands also promoted into League C

In League C we saw Montenegro Promoted to League B

Whilst Cyprus have suffered relegation into League D.

From League A we now know Spain will join France in the play offs.

We also know Sweden join Bosnia and Iceland in being relegated into League B.

There is still an issue with Switzerland and Ukraine, Switzerland are 3 points ahead of Ukraine and there game tonight was postponed due to positive covid tests from Ukraine, now I follow a Swiss reporter on twitter and its his understanding that Uefa and Ukraine were still happy for the game to go ahead and Switzerland decided against it,  if thats true Switzerland may forfeit the match and a 3-0 defeat would see them relegated instead if Ukraine.

So Uefa have a big decision on their hands,  personally I don't see why they cant let them play the game in an international break before the next Nations League starts.

• Options
    Germany's biggest ever competitive defeat. 

Ferran Torres is some player, City have got an absolute bargain there, Guardiola needs to start him in games more often now.
  • Options
    Scotland lost 1-0 in Israel, handing Czech Republic promotion back to League A

The irony is I imagine that the 2022-23 Nations League will no doubt revert to the same format we saw ahead of Qualification for Euro 2020

So had Scotland reached League A themselves they'd have surely increased their chances of qualification for Euro 2024
  • Options
    Wales promoted to League A

Northern Ireland relegated to League C

Belgium, Spain, Italy and France are the last 4 in The Nations League
  • Options
    Wales promoted to League A

Northern Ireland relegated to League C

Belgium, Spain, Italy and France are the last 4 in The Nations League
    Finals should be a lot more interesting this year as the last finals were a little bit weak

Shame for Northern Ireland who got relegated before a ball got kicked with Romania being given the win when Norway couldnt travel

Guess the same will happen between Switzerland / Ukraine as you mentioned earlier @paulie8290
  • Options
    Scotland lost 1-0 in Israel, handing Czech Republic promotion back to League A

The irony is I imagine that the 2022-23 Nations League will no doubt revert to the same format we saw ahead of Qualification for Euro 2020

So had Scotland reached League A themselves they'd have surely increased their chances of qualification for Euro 2024

According to this dude Scotland are better not getting promoted to Tier A.