Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The negativity bandwagon

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
After another lackluster performance we see the negativity bandwagon firing up again and it's running at full steam right now.

A question I have is what else did we expect from February following our awful run?

We're 2 points above the relegation spaces, 3 points closer to the teams down there since January 1st, yet higher in the league by a few places.

Bowyer fudged it last night, but other teams are getting dragged in and many of them have more right to be pissed off with their clubs and afraid of the drop than us. 

Lets get behind the team and hope, because that's all we can do that Bowyer stops setting us up for draws.

We know this team can achieve more than that.

Comments

• Options
    Had to take a deep,breath after watching that.But we have to move on.Glass Always half full for me.Its still,in our own hands.Not good the bottom 3 all winning but on the flip side of that I make it there are 10 teams(including Derby with possible points deduction) who are in this scrap.Reading and Hull dropping like stones.We have to play both of them and Hudds Wigan and Boro.Those games will define our season.As I say - it's in our own hands.COYR
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes, there is the risk of that. That is why cowardly managers play the way they do. Even though you need an excellent defence for that approach to pay off over a number of games. Our defence is ok, as long as it is not put under too much pressure. 

I do know how hard it is. Completely different level but same principal. The team I managed last season were not strong defensively so I knew we always had to push forward and not sit back as we were more likely to concede and lose. When you have something to hold onto it is incredibly hard to be positive. I would be urging them forwards whenever I got a sense they were sitting back. You have to fight against your instincts and fears. But you do have to fight against them. Bowyer was a better manager when he didn't seem to care. Now the stakes are higher he is showing himself to be a bottler.

It can be fixed. Southall could give him a warning saying the ownership demands we play positively. That would have a chance of curing him off this affliction because that is exactly what it is and what he needs. And I would have said the same had we got a lucky draw last night.

I was happy with the way we played against Luton. We are actually a side that doesn't have to be totally dominant. We just have to create a few decent chances and pose a threat. We had two chances yesterday - one was just individual skill from Taylor and the other was the only decent offensive move we made in 90 minutes.It simply is not good enough. 
  • Options
    Back in December/early January the negativity was being outshone by the positivity: we’ve got Bowyer, players will return from injury, we’ll sign new players in January etc.

Well, it’s nearly March and we’ve still got Bowyer, players have returned from injury, and we’ve signed new players.

And we’re still in a relegation battle. You could say we’re actually in a worse position points wise, although more teams have been drawn into it.

We’re still 18th so a few teams below us, albeit only 2 points clear of the relegation zone. We seriously need to buck our ideas up.

However, to say that the negativity bandwagon is being jumped on is harsh IMO. We hadn’t won in 14, and although we’ve picked up a few wins results are still poor.

I think the positivity bandwagon was too in effect back then, and more people have realised the seriousness of the situation.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    If the team can be negative why can’t we ? 
    Wednesday 24 shots last night suggests we're better at being negative than our team is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most of our team are journeymen and we're set up negatively. We're reliant on scraping wins.
  • Options
    Most of our team are journeymen and we're set up negatively. We're reliant on scraping wins.
    Journeyman ??? Wow.....what is your definition of a journeyman and of the players that we had in the team last night which of those fall under that category. In fact I will give you a chance and offer you the ful squad
  • Options
    Journeyman ??? Wow.....what is your definition of a journeyman and of the players that we had in the team last night which of those fall under that category. In fact I will give you a chance and offer you the ful squad
    noun
    1. 1.
      a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
      "a solid journeyman professional"

With 1 or 2 exceptions that would cover all of our current squad, would it not? 
  • Options
    Good job Morgan Fox wasn’t playing for us last night, people really would be having a right moan! :/0
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    That is the point. if we have a bit of a go and lost, 
    nobody will be angry but to go out there against a team that clearly were not confident and play in such a way that you give them coinfidence, well it is criminally poor judgement and management. To actually think a point is a good result given the circumstances and the form of the opposition is simply pathetic. The other teams at the bottom are picking up because they are having a go. 

It was pretty clear to me that Bowyer had something and there are enough historical posts to back up what I say. But he has turned into a back foot clueless manager like Slade. Not a problem with playing that way when half your team is out, but we should not be playing that way now. It doesn't suit us. After Stoke I said I would give him another chance,sorry Lee but last night was the final chance. Absolutely nothing to do with results, if we lose and are positive I will forgive, but if I see one more display like that I will be at the front of the Bowyer out queue. 

I get you are angry but bowyer out is ridiculous. 

If he keeps making the same basic mistake it isn't ridiculous. I am not in that camp but one more performance and set up like last night (except against Leeds or Brentford) and I will be firmly in it. Another manager and I would already be firmly in it. His away tactics are relegation tactics with the squad we have.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    noun
    1. 1.

No...be interesting to know who the "1 or 2 exceptions" are.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    noun
    1. 1.

No...be interesting to know who the "1 or 2 exceptions" are.
    I would not describe Lewis Page as "reliable".......

If the "job" is championship footballer, I can honestly say that it does cover almost all, and some would be pleased to be included.

If the "job" is professional football, you could probably make a point that they are "outstanding" as they are probably all in the top 10% of "all professional footballers". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had we given it a serious go last night then Wednesday could well have opened us up even more than they did and could have scored more than the one

The reason its technically three points rather than two is because of our Goal Difference compared with everyone else, if we start attacking more away from home then I fully expect the GD to get worse which could be vital come the end of the season, especially with so few points between six / seven teams
    But however good your goal difference, it is never worth more than half a point at the end of the season. Win one, lose one instead of two draws and you'll finish higher even if GD is worse.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    An excellent start to the season, followed by getting over excited about who was involved with the ownership of the Club and too many people lose a lot of sense of reality, IMO.

A lot remains to be seen, but I do think if a few people actually sat back and took stock at where the Club actually is at this moment in time, as opposed to where it could have been, things aren't looking too shabby 
  • Options
    Hull are 2pts above and have a GD 1 worse than ours Reading are 3pts above and have a GD 5 better than ours despite getting whipped 0-3 by Wigan .
    the teams below are 10,5,6,7,11 and 23 worse off than us GD wise 
  • Options
    My god, I get that people are rightly sick after another disappointing performance and result, but the speed and depth of spite some people turn against is truly awful to witness. 

Can understand why the paid people in this game show so little loyalty when fans can turn against so easily. 
    Like spoilt entitled children on here past few months. 

Want Roland gone but ESI have failed already

Want cheap tickets but want us to spend millions on players

Want us to spend millions on players and crowds at the valley that allow us to do so but then moanfest over football for a fiver crowds

No engagement  from Duchatelet, Southall tweets too much

Dunno what everyone expects...load of strangers to come in to our catastrophe of a club and in a couple of months gamble all their millions in a notoriously bad window. 

Honestly some comments come across as so brattish  and entitled

Some of the abuse Bowyer getting last night and the new board who've been here 5 minutes...just imagine where we'd be now if Bowyer had walked and ESI never arrived.

Win everything is rosy, lose and everyone and everything is a cunt. Like petulant children some of you.

Grab hold of your bollocks if you can find them and stop the spleen shitting and poor us entitled mentality and get some perspective of the situation and why we are where we are today beyond the short termism 90 minutes/ 2months view.

Agreed