Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited February 2020 in General Charlton
Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 11 February | Kick-Off: 19.45pm | Live on Sky Sports Football via Red Button

Referee: Darren Bond (Lancashire) - Previously officiated Charlton in 2-2 home draw with Cardiff

Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Introduction
As I write one of my last few previews of the season, it can only be fitting that it includes a team that was one of my first. After a shocking display against Stoke away on Saturday, we have another very tough away trip to contend with, Nottingham Forest.

Opposition
Manager: Sabri Lamouchi (49% win rate)
Stadium: City Ground | League Position: 4th
Nickname(s): Forest

We are now at the time of the year where fixtures are being repeated in a very similar order to the first half of the season. If we cast our mind back to August, we played Forest on the 21st having recently played Stoke and Barnsley. Whilst Forest played Leeds and Birmingham, also their last two fixtures. It could be argued that the first 45 minutes that Wednesday night was the best football we have played all season. The two sides though have since gone in separate directions, but a repeat of the performance that night this time round will put us in a half decent position to get a result.

Forest have developed their formation as the season has progressed. Previously using the 4-1-4-1 formation, Lamouchi has tweaked things slightly and moved to the much used 4-2-3-1. Their previous line up was:

Samba
Cash Figueriedo | Worrall | Ribeiro
Sow | Watson
Lolley | Silva | Ameobi
Grabban

After writing the preview for the reverse fixture (attached at the bottom of this one), I would like to focus on different aspects of Nottingham Forest.

A team built on solid foundations, Forest have conceded only 30 goals so far this season. Lamouchi has also changed his defensive personnel 15 times too. That number might seem a lot to some, but Bowyer has made 42 changes in just the defence alone. With this in mind, it's no surprise that they've kept double the amount of clean sheets as us. Forest have managed this tactically too. Being extremely compact with little distances between each line, it makes it difficult for the opposition to get into any kind of exploitive space to hurt them. This way of playing also allows them to press teams as a group effectively, and often win the second balls before quickly playing it to their front men. In order for us to be a threat, we're going to have to move the ball side to side at a good tempo to allow for the right moment to find that bit of space. With their defensive shape, getting in behind on the counter attack could be another avenue Bowyer has identified that would see us some joy. However, playing it from back to front in the way we did on Saturday is not going to work against this opposition. We are going to have to try and work through the thirds with pace, different angles, and clever movement.

Their overall form, home and away, is almost identical; Forest are strong wherever they play. 3 wins and a draw in their last 4 at home, whilst they've won 6 and drawn 2 of their last 9 in the league. However, for a side pushing for promotion, one weakness that can be drawn is that they've struggled to score goals regularly at home. Only 20 in 15 league games, and scoring more than once in a home match on 4 occasions all season. Their last coming on Saturday evening when they beat Leeds 2-0.

Charlton Team News
Due to Forest playing 4-2-3-1 to such good effect, and a poor performance from us at Stoke, it could mean that Bowyer decides to match them up. This time round, we have the personnel to use that formation with many options in the centre of midfield and players able to play wide.

The squad now looks far stronger than it did this time last month, but we must continue to manage the players who have recently come back from injury. With them all being longer term, even machines like Cullen aren't able to hit the standards consistently at this level without needing time to get into the swing of things. Of the squad from Saturday, it was still without a number of senior players for different reasons: Solly, Oshilaja, Page, Forster-Caskey, McGeady, Aneke, Bonne. This bodes well for the rest of the season and a few of them will be hoping to be involved on Tuesday.

The usual suspects for a midweek game come back into the thinking with Sarr likely to replace Pearce, Oztumer could replace Williams, whilst Field could make his first start for us in 16 weeks by coming in for Pratley, who could be given a complete rest. We can also hope that McGeady has recovered from illness to be involved, whilst Forster-Caskey, Aneke and Bonne will be pushing hard to make the bench.

Subs: Amos, Pearce, Doughty, Davis, Williams, Bonne, Hemed

Prediction
An attacking trio of Green, Taylor (to be made captain for this game), and McGeady, with Oztumer just behind could be a match for Forest's front three and cause their defence a lot more trouble than we did on Saturday. But this is going to be an incredibly difficult game. A great result against Leeds would have them thinking that they have to follow it up with a win against us if they're really serious about promotion. Whilst Saturday's result for us leaves us only one place outside the drop zone. I do though believe that Bowyer will make sure we don't lose both away games before the sell out next week. A tough match where we frustrate them, but do enough to earn a draw.

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Taylor

Reverse fixture preview:
https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/86550/charlton-athletic-v-nottingham-forest-wed-21-august-match-preview-predictions-news-views/p1

Comments

• Options
    Great preview mate... Reckon it wont be one of your last few previews what with the Easter period still to come!!

Regardless your help has been great this season and hopefully look forward to more of the same from us both next year too

Would pretty much agree with the team you've put out

Am 50/50 in my mind as to whether we'll see Solly over Matthews, hopefully be good to see McGeady!!
  • Options
    Great preview mate... Reckon it wont be one of your last few previews what with the Easter period still to come!!

Regardless your help has been great this season and hopefully look forward to more of the same from us both next year too

Would pretty much agree with the team you've put out

Am 50/50 in my mind as to whether we'll see Solly over Matthews, hopefully be good to see McGeady!!
    Thanks mate, I was looking at the midweek games and forgot about Easter to be honest. Still one of the last few for the season.

I thought about Solly and agree we could see him come in, but Matthews has played 12 of the last 15 league games going back to the last international break, so clearly is first choice right now.

Need a much better performance to get a result here. We have to go for it because sitting off just won’t work. 
  • Options
    Excellent preview Sage. 
    Having gone to Stoke yesterday I honestly cannot see anything other than a defeat. 
    I absolutely hate predicting anything other than a Charlton win but after yesterday's performance I can't. 
    3.1 Forest. 
    Please prove me wrong Charlton. 
  • Options
    Great preview, thank you.
    That performance against Stoke and the Forest result against Leeds can only mean defeat for us (3-1 again).
    Sad to say, but we were awful against an ordinary Stoke side.
  • Options
    That performance against Stoke and the Forest result against Leeds can only mean defeat for us (3-1 again).
    Thankfully previous results dont instantly mean a repeat of the performances from players all round

You'd hope that Tuesday is the opposite to Stoke in the sense that the latter needed to win due to their 4-0 loss... I wont be surprised if Forest are a bit jaded after their Leeds win, they'd have used a lot of energy to match up yesterday so could be sometime we can use to our advantage
  • Options
    Thankfully previous results dont instantly mean a repeat of the performances from players all round

You'd hope that Tuesday is the opposite to Stoke in the sense that the latter needed to win due to their 4-0 loss... I wont be surprised if Forest are a bit jaded after their Leeds win, they'd have used a lot of energy to match up yesterday so could be sometime we can use to our advantage
    Not to mention that this is the most unpredictable league in the world where anyone can beat anyone and sometimes previous form and performances count for very little.

It’s going to be extremely tough, but if we compete and battle like Bowyer’s teams usually do, we can get a result.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Sage said:

Not to mention that this is the most unpredictable league in the world where anyone can beat anyone and sometimes previous form and performances count for very little.

It’s going to be extremely tough, but if we compete and battle like Bowyer’s teams usually do, we can get a result.
    You'd hope our performance yesterday was partially due to McGeady being ill (We've seen it before where a week of prep is thrown out the window after a late injury or illness)

After Andy Hunt's awful game against Coventry (which was later because of his illness) I've always tried not to simply blame a team performance because the players havent shown up, always gotta be something more than just that
  • Options
    We have to win an away game sometime, but I cannot see it happening on Tuesday.

We'll lose and start fretting if Wigan win at home to put them one point behind us.
  • Options
    We’re so leaky and lack goals only thing that will get us anything out the game will be some McGeady magic .
    3-1 loss again as the trapdoor is waiting to gobble us up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A 1-3 reverse, looking over our shoulder,
    shadows looming BUT one or two real six pointers to come this month will ease our nerves a bit...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'd gamble in a few areas for a game we are not expected to win. JW to get ref on our side.

Phillips
    Matthews Pratley Sarr Doughty
                 Cullen. Davis
         Green  Ozzy.    Williams
                          Taylor

Subs Amos, Lockyer, Field, McGeady, Purrington, Aneke, Morgan

Subs 
    in bold/italic. Save Bonne for Saturday.
  • Options
    I think we play with much more credit, and I think Bowyer improves tactically, but still lose. This Forest side are looking very good, in a good run of form, with some quality attacking player, and as well as Sage said, a good defence.

I think it'll be a loss, but not one we should be overly worried about. I already have half an eye on the Blackburn game where the Valley should be near enough sold out.
  • Options
    Excellent preview.  

Just dont think we are good enough without Gallagher and our defence is getting worse by the week. 

3.0 defeat. 
  • Options
    Forest 3 Charlton 1
  • Options
    Excellent preview. Thanks. If Bowyer is able to impart the rocket up the collective arse that yesterday deserved, if said rocket is understood and acted upon by those whose collective arse should be extremely sore, if tactics are changed to allow us to attempt to play more than 30 yards from our own goal, and if we don’t select three defensive midfielders we may have a chance of keeping this to a modest defeat. If all of the above doesn’t happen then this could be the spanking that we have managed to avoid thus far despite our inadequacies. The capacity to surprise is running out and I fear the latter although I’ve not had a good weekend so I may just be being miserable. 6-0 Forest and a hot reception at home on Saturday. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    No doubt about it, this is gonna be a very very tough one.
    Right now I would be satisfied with a point.........I can tell ya!
  • Options
    I honestly don't mind if we lose this one, there will be more winnable games. But I want to see us try to win it, not be defensive because we can't keep teams out playing that way. That's all I ask, whatever the outcome, please try to win it. 
  • Options
    Logic says that having beaten Leeds 2-0 in their game of the season, Forest will be dragged down to our level. 1-1.
  • Options
    Lockyer one booking from a 2 game suspension so he has to be rested for the 2 upcoming home games. 

We are not good enough and esi have left us in the shit. My attention fully on Wigan Boro game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 loss. 

Think a team below us are going to pick up a result, leaving us clinging on outside the relegation zone by a point. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Bowyer might have thought that putting three DMs in the team might shore up our tragic defending but when we are not tracking runners or keeping the line, no amount of defenders will help. It's basic schoolboy stuff and it has been for months.

I much prefer the lineup above. Keeping possession will lessen the chance our tragic defending will be seen again.

No game in this league is a free hit. Everyone can lose to anyone. We need to go for maximum points every game. We'll need them.
  • Options
    Easiest home win of the season. 3-0
  • Options
    Heart says 0-1, but head says 3-0 defeat 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Our strengths are that we score more than we should with the chances we create and Williams and Taylor can really worry opponents. Our weakness is defensively we are fragile. This demands a more positive approach than we saw yesterday.  
  • Options
    we really need to buck up to get anything from this one .. Forest are in a collective ruthless mood and are flying .. Charlie Nicholas on sky sports on Saturday said that we were leaving a foot in and going in studs raised, playing an intimidatory game ..
      if Nicholas is right (I was not there so have no idea) it did no good at Stoke and it'll do no good at Forest
    I thought we had a strong team out on Saturday. It proved to be nowhere near strong enough. We miss Gallagher and have no-one near good enough to perform his all action role ..  anyway he's gone and it's up to Bowyer to devise tactics to cover the loss and whoever he selects to perform to the very best they can for the rest of the season.

Best outcome, a draw and no injuries .. no score prediction

• Options
    A win for us. We are different gravy when we play against the top teams and can regularly upset the odds. 2-0 to us. 
  • Options
    I like the look of Sage's line-up. It looks like a team that will better in possession than Saturday's version when the number of occasions we strung more than half a dozen passes together could be counted on the fingers of one hand. Naby definitely helps in this regard as he generally does look to use thee ball rather than hoof it.

I won't watch this one at 2:45am but would be very happy if we could get a point.