Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten players out of contract at end of this season

Comments

• Options
    Moving forward our wage level WILL increase. If Bowyer is correct when he says we were at the bottom in the Championship, no way will be stay at that level under new owners, thus the better players will be getting more money moving forward.

The teams that pay the least wages in the Championship get relegated. You might survive a season, but money talks hence the likes of Yeovil, Burton and Rotherham going down.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I feel like people forget just how good JFC was two years ago. He was strong and tenacious in midfield, excellent on the ball, and pitched in with goals. I would absolutely give him another two year deal. Even if he doesn't work out, we probably wouldn't have a hard time getting a small fee for him, or at least getting him off the books.

Williams, Taylor, and Matthews definitely should be offered new deals/have their options picked up (Williams).

I would definitely give Morgan another couple years. He has a lot of skill and potential. He's not Championship ready, but he's also come a long way in the last 18 months, and he's definitely worth giving more time. This seems like an easy one to me.

Sarr: definitely worth an offer for me as well. On his better days, particularly when he's not playing in a back three next to Pearce, he's good enough to play regularly at this level. He needs to be more consistent, but his ability to play out of the back, and thus us play through midfield, makes him very valuable. As @Leuth points out, I think it's likely that his wages aren't out of the ordinary at Championship level.

Amos: is a decent second-choice keeper. Would have no problem keeping him. I think we'd have a hard time finding a better second choice keeper. Unless Gallen has someone better lined up, I think Amos is a good option. 

Page: yeah. It's not his fault that he's had so many injury problems. But he's not worth keeping.

Hemed: Depends on how he does to the end of the season. We haven't seen much of him to this point because of injury, but he's a proven goalscorer at this level. 

Cullen: I know he has another year at West Ham, but we should do everything we can go get him in permanently. 

Solly: The toughest one of this list emotionally. If we get relegated, yes. If we stay up, unfortunately no. It will be deeply weird to see him in the kit of another team. But he hasn't looked like a Championship regular this season, we have a better option in Matthews and Deji who can play there. We'd need to add someone else most likely, but I think that's doable. For a 2nd or 3rd choice RB at this level we could do a lot worse, but if we want to continue to play with wingbacks, I just can't see him being up to it. 

For those saying ESI are going to start throwing around tons of money, I just can't really see it. January is a tough time to do business, but they didn't exactly throw around the cash then. I have to suspect that they could have offered a loan fee and more wages for Gallagher, and didn't. But they did offer 1.5m for Maddison. So they will spend money it seems, but not silly money. Which, for the longer term stability of the club, is probably for the best. 

Also, to @Sage 's point, we can't keep doing rebuilds every offseason. We're already going to lose Davis, Green, Smith, Field, Cullen, and McGeady. That's a lot of depth and talent to replace as is. Plus I think questions will be asked of Oz, of Aneke's ability to stay fit, of Purrington as a first choice Champo left back, of Pearce's ability to play at this level. So that's a total of another ten who might need replacing or upgrading. 

Also, isn't Prately out of contract? He's been good this year, but I don't know that I'd have him for another year.
    Pratley signed a new deal a few months ago.
    Given that he's been a really important part of this season, I can't really begrudge him it, but why was HE the priority for a new contract?!?!?! 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    I feel like people forget just how good JFC was two years ago. He was strong and tenacious in midfield, excellent on the ball, and pitched in with goals. I would absolutely give him another two year deal. Even if he doesn't work out, we probably wouldn't have a hard time getting a small fee for him, or at least getting him off the books.

Williams, Taylor, and Matthews definitely should be offered new deals/have their options picked up (Williams).

I would definitely give Morgan another couple years. He has a lot of skill and potential. He's not Championship ready, but he's also come a long way in the last 18 months, and he's definitely worth giving more time. This seems like an easy one to me.

Sarr: definitely worth an offer for me as well. On his better days, particularly when he's not playing in a back three next to Pearce, he's good enough to play regularly at this level. He needs to be more consistent, but his ability to play out of the back, and thus us play through midfield, makes him very valuable. As @Leuth points out, I think it's likely that his wages aren't out of the ordinary at Championship level.

Amos: is a decent second-choice keeper. Would have no problem keeping him. I think we'd have a hard time finding a better second choice keeper. Unless Gallen has someone better lined up, I think Amos is a good option. 

Page: yeah. It's not his fault that he's had so many injury problems. But he's not worth keeping.

Hemed: Depends on how he does to the end of the season. We haven't seen much of him to this point because of injury, but he's a proven goalscorer at this level. 

Cullen: I know he has another year at West Ham, but we should do everything we can go get him in permanently. 

Solly: The toughest one of this list emotionally. If we get relegated, yes. If we stay up, unfortunately no. It will be deeply weird to see him in the kit of another team. But he hasn't looked like a Championship regular this season, we have a better option in Matthews and Deji who can play there. We'd need to add someone else most likely, but I think that's doable. For a 2nd or 3rd choice RB at this level we could do a lot worse, but if we want to continue to play with wingbacks, I just can't see him being up to it. 

For those saying ESI are going to start throwing around tons of money, I just can't really see it. January is a tough time to do business, but they didn't exactly throw around the cash then. I have to suspect that they could have offered a loan fee and more wages for Gallagher, and didn't. But they did offer 1.5m for Maddison. So they will spend money it seems, but not silly money. Which, for the longer term stability of the club, is probably for the best. 

Also, to @Sage 's point, we can't keep doing rebuilds every offseason. We're already going to lose Davis, Green, Smith, Field, Cullen, and McGeady. That's a lot of depth and talent to replace as is. Plus I think questions will be asked of Oz, of Aneke's ability to stay fit, of Purrington as a first choice Champo left back, of Pearce's ability to play at this level. So that's a total of another ten who might need replacing or upgrading. 

Also, isn't Prately out of contract? He's been good this year, but I don't know that I'd have him for another year.
    Given that he's been a really important part of this season, I can't really begrudge him it, but why was HE the priority for a new contract?!?!?! 

Who said he was? Just the first to sign.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

Having just looked, it was August that Pratley signed the new deal. I wouldn’t say he was a priority as such and was probably an easy deal to do - can’t imagine he is on massive amounts of money and probably was happy with securing his future at his age. All that said, he is an integral part of the squad. 
  • Options
    Surprised at the number of people who want to keep JFC - really hasn't made much of an impression on me. Surprised that he's still only 25 and has made over 60 appearances for us.
  • Options
    Surprised at the number of people who want to keep JFC - really hasn't made much of an impression on me. Surprised that he's still only 25 and has made over 60 appearances for us.
    Given the majority of our midfielders aren’t actually ours, I would definitely have him as back up next season. 
  • Options
    Given the majority of our midfielders aren’t actually ours, I would definitely have him as back up next season. 
    I keep forgetting how many loan players we have.
  • Options
    I think we'll keep Taylor and Matthews, possibly Williams and Sarr. The rest, including Solly, will be released.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Williams will be vying with McGeady for a new contract.

May let Sarr go and Maybe sell one of Lockyer or Pearce.

Jury's out a little bit for me on Purrington so if someone came in you'd have to look at it.

Don't really see Page or JFC as part of any future plans. JFC maybe if he gets back to his very best.

Solly will go. I'd keep Matthews.
     Pratley may be offered to lower league , especially if Davis proves his worth and we can do deal for him.

Not been impressed with Hemed so wouldn't renew and maybe even sell Bonne if we can get a decent price for him. Get another quality striker in

Keep Taylor and break the bank to get Cullen.

It's all about starting with a decent spine and most of it is already here except a decent centre half and obviously Cullen and Taylor staying.

A mention for Dillon who is already proving to be one of the best in the league.
    Sell Lockyer? Are you mad? And Bonne? Bonkers.
    Seems it. Don’t think the way to creating a decent spine is to get rid of your best CB, CM and Striker (who are ours and not out of contract). 
  • Options
    While I understand their reasons, I am so surprised the number of people even questioning the need to keep Williams going forward. The boy is absolute class and complete game changer. There aren’t too many players that we have who I think are crucial to us going forward but he is one of them.

Obviously Taylor needs to be offered a good contract.

Of the others, I would definitely offer Matthews and Sarr a contract.

I do wonder if Solly leaves Charlton playing staff whether he will become Charlton coaching staff.
  • Options
    Some of you lot have failed to grasp that we will be shopping in Waitrose this summer.

;-)
  • Options
    Sage said:
    One thing is for sure, Morgan will get a new contract and possibly before many others. He’s rated by the management and players. Southall won’t let a young player run down his contract. Expect him to sign a 3 year deal. 
    I do feel like Bowyer rates him, and understands he can develop into a quality player which is why he is taking the tough love route with him. 
  • Options
    Some of you lot have failed to grasp that we will be shopping in Waitrose this summer.

;-)
    Hopefully, but don’t think selling our best players is good business either. Or needing 20 players. 
  • Options
    I'd keep them all barring hemed and page. Sarr on 7k I think is a fair contract at this level, we should be paying all of our players between 5 - 10k on average with the exception of Taylor if we want to compete. I would break the structure to keep him, you cant underestimate just how pivotal that man is to us. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sarr's wages are extremely basic Championship-level wages. It's the other payers who need to be paid more, not him less
    This is probably true to attract the type and quality of players that will enable progress. The test will be whether ESI want to spend to develop under Bowyer and the coaches or spend to buy the finished article. I very much doubt ESI are planning the later. Pay peanuts scenario is the hope of most chairmen but the likelihood of success is seldom the outcome. This league is ruthless, no matter how much money is spent, just see Leeds losing at home to Wigan. If our new owners want to do it on the cheap, as did Roly, that's what they will do and we'll have to suck it up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taylor, Williams, Matthews, Sarr, Morgan new deals.

Pratley has done a great job but we need to be looking at pushing on now. Davis has potential to take that slot.

Solly is a legend but anyone saying new contract is going heart over head imo. Love him but he isn’t top level champ anymore (or even lower level champ). 

• Options

Pratley has done a great job but we need to be looking at pushing on now. Davis has potential to take that slot.

Solly is a legend but anyone saying new contract is going heart over head imo. Love him but he isn’t top level champ anymore (or even lower level champ). 

Pratley's already been signed up for next year.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

Who said he was? Just the first to sign.
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

Having just looked, it was August that Pratley signed the new deal. I wouldn’t say he was a priority as such and was probably an easy deal to do - can’t imagine he is on massive amounts of money and probably was happy with securing his future at his age. All that said, he is an integral part of the squad. 
    Good points both of you, and I was being tongue in cheek about it. He's been a very solid member of the squad this season, and I still think he could have a future as a CB, especially in a back three. I think it was said that Lyle was offered a new contract in August or thereabouts, it may well have been the case that Pratley signed his, Taylor didn't. 
  • Options
    Keep Taylor and Matthews.
    Would happily let the others go if it signalled the intent of ESI to bring a higher calibre of player in.
    Would love to keep Solly for sentimental reasons.
    Williams a no brainier. Keep. Keep. Keep.
    Kalvin Phillips, who I think is considered to be one of the best players in the division named Williams as his toughest opponent season. That’s a fairly decent reference.
  • Options
    Would happily let the others go if it signalled the intent of ESI to bring a higher calibre of player in.
    Kalvin Phillips, who I think is considered to be one of the best players in the division named Williams as his toughest opponent season. That’s a fairly decent reference.
    You just said... Never mind.
  • Options
    I'm one of these sados that often look at the opposing team's forum around a match day and I've seen a number of times people saying how much they hate coming up against Williams. The number of free kicks he wins is unreal. Would be great if he could add goals to his game but that doesn't look like happening. Must keep hold of him. 
  • Options

Pratley's already been signed up for next year.
    I'd love to see pratley kept on after he retires to join the coaching team (not that I hope that is anytime soon on current form!) he seems a really popular figure amongst the players and has played at the highest level and could add a lot of knowledge to the team.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You just said... Never mind.
    Should have added ‘However’ to the Williams line.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'd like to keep Sarr. It isn't the wages he is on but the wages he can get that is important. I really think there is a player in there with the right players around him. If we are planning to go out and buy a striker, it might be better to deflect that money to entice Taylor to stay. or at least try to, Southall indicated there will be room for two or three higher paid players and I thnk Lyle would be hard for us to replace for less than it costs to keep him.

Matthews has impressed me of late. Might be the easiest to secure.