Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten players out of contract at end of this season

Comments

• Options
    We need a big summer to create stability going forward, as we have been so reliant on loans over the last few seasons. It's testament to Gallen that the loans have, in the most part, come off.
    Signing up Lockyer and Phillips with longer contracts is key as well, too many deals are allowed to reach the last 6 months.

Matthews is an interesting one, I'd definitely resign him, but it will be interesting to see if he makes the Wales squad for the Euros, that could create more interest in him and the other Welsh internationals, thus increasing wages and signing on fees. 
  • Options
    Jonny is worth keeping around for what he can do. If he were able to stay fit more often he wouldn't be playing for Charlton, we benefit from his injury issues as much as we suffer. The point above says it all; yes we struggled horribly when he went off, but that just goes to show that we were only where we were - 2-0 up - largely because of Jonny's input. I wish he played more, but having a player who can win you a game when fit is a hell of a lot better than letting him go because he might not be available sometimes and losing that spark that can be the difference between a win and a loss. If we let him go who could we replace him with that would be within our budget, or wouldn't cost more in fees and wages than Jonny would? I think we do need to look at having more players who can decide the outcome of a game, but having Jonny around is essential until we've really established ourselves as a Championship team, which we need him to do.
    I totally understand the sentiment, but could you tell me of another team who essentially have a key player who consistently throughout his career has only been able to play half a season, and when he does play can not play the full 90 minutes?

As good as Jonny is as a player, and I think he is great, I do believe there are also plenty of other very good players out there who we could get who would guarantee more consistency in terms of fitness then Jonny.

In an ideal world, Jonny would stay injury free for the rest of the season and then for the last 10 games show that he can play consistent long minutes. If he does that, then I would sign him up on a longer contract in a heartbeat. I am just skeptical then he can. 
    He is a 'luxury' player given his injury record - can we afford that? 
  • Options
    I think this is the summer where it's a good thing about the players leaving. We won't get this lucky again next season with how weak the championship is. Assuming Norwich come down they're always up there, and whoever else comes down out of West Ham, Watford, Villa etc will also be a problem to compete with. You look below and Rotherham look like they could be a better side than Wigan and Barnsley at least, Ipswich and Sunderland if they come up with backing, even Peterborough.

The point is this league ain't getting any easier and most of those players aren't good enough. Is Amos really worth his wages to be a back up? Touch wood Dill had been great health wise, I would rather focus them wages elsewhere and look around for a cheaper, younger prospect in the league's below. Solly I can't decide, club legend but football is thickle, had his knee not been mashed he would have probably moved to a bigger club when he was in his prime, speaking from a business mindset I think we have outgrown him and he would be wasted on the bench. I would keep Naby he's only 26 and does show glimpses of greatness, could do a lot worse for a back up centre back. Definitely keep Matthews, class player, him and Lockyer on that side is solid, JFC and Page I would both let go, I don't really rate JFC, never have done, can see him reuniting with Karl next season. Page is just Mr Glass, it's harsh but can't keep him waste of a wage. Hemed get rid, would rather offer what he's earning and give it to Taylor on top of what Taylor has, keep Albie but only if he knows he's still a prospect. Definitely keep Williams 

Overrall, preferable to let most go, they either aren't good enough or injury prone 
  • Options
    definitely keep Williams, Taylor and Matthews. Forster-Caskey a maybe depending on who we can sign instead. Sign Morgan up too as he'll be inexpensive and has potential. No to the rest I'm afraid although it'll be an end of an era seeing Solly go.
  • Options
    Williams,Forster-Caskey,Amos,Taylor,Mathews,Solly,Hamed,Sarr,Morgan & Page 

They all have a role in a championship squad if fit. It's never quite as simple as that though.

Williams and Taylor should be absolute top priority and we should do everything we can to get them to sign up. I don't think Taylor will sign so that one may not be in our control.

Matthews should be offered another 2 year deal right now. Be good to have Amos and Sarr signed up for a couple years too.

I dont think Morgan will sign a contract (we should offer one though). He doesn't seem to have responded to what Bow is telling him. He will go elsewhere and do well.

JFC/Hemed have a role as back up in my view but this will depend on whether Bow and co think they can do better. Would probably leave this decision till the end of the season though.

Solly is Solly and deserves another contract. I hope he stays around the place but he may want to be better than back up. 

I like Page and desperately feel for him, I really want him fit and firing but I dont think we can offer him another deal. Would offer the use of our facilities going forwards to help him get fit. 
  • Options
    Out of that list I’d personally wouldn’t offer deals to Page or Hemed. Solly is a tricky one.  if he is happy to stay and be a squad player then we should offer him a deal. 

Taylor and Williams are absolute musts. Matthews has more than earned a new deal. Sarr is a better option than Pearce. JFC is a good squad player to have. Amos is a very good back up to Phillips and you know he will do a job if called upon. Morgan needs a full season on loan at a league 1 club. 
  • Options
    I feel like people forget just how good JFC was two years ago. He was strong and tenacious in midfield, excellent on the ball, and pitched in with goals. I would absolutely give him another two year deal. Even if he doesn't work out, we probably wouldn't have a hard time getting a small fee for him, or at least getting him off the books.

Williams, Taylor, and Matthews definitely should be offered new deals/have their options picked up (Williams).

I would definitely give Morgan another couple years. He has a lot of skill and potential. He's not Championship ready, but he's also come a long way in the last 18 months, and he's definitely worth giving more time. This seems like an easy one to me.

Sarr: definitely worth an offer for me as well. On his better days, particularly when he's not playing in a back three next to Pearce, he's good enough to play regularly at this level. He needs to be more consistent, but his ability to play out of the back, and thus us play through midfield, makes him very valuable. As @Leuth points out, I think it's likely that his wages aren't out of the ordinary at Championship level.

Amos: is a decent second-choice keeper. Would have no problem keeping him. I think we'd have a hard time finding a better second choice keeper. Unless Gallen has someone better lined up, I think Amos is a good option. 

Page: yeah. It's not his fault that he's had so many injury problems. But he's not worth keeping.

Hemed: Depends on how he does to the end of the season. We haven't seen much of him to this point because of injury, but he's a proven goalscorer at this level. 

Cullen: I know he has another year at West Ham, but we should do everything we can go get him in permanently. 

Solly: The toughest one of this list emotionally. If we get relegated, yes. If we stay up, unfortunately no. It will be deeply weird to see him in the kit of another team. But he hasn't looked like a Championship regular this season, we have a better option in Matthews and Deji who can play there. We'd need to add someone else most likely, but I think that's doable. For a 2nd or 3rd choice RB at this level we could do a lot worse, but if we want to continue to play with wingbacks, I just can't see him being up to it. 

For those saying ESI are going to start throwing around tons of money, I just can't really see it. January is a tough time to do business, but they didn't exactly throw around the cash then. I have to suspect that they could have offered a loan fee and more wages for Gallagher, and didn't. But they did offer 1.5m for Maddison. So they will spend money it seems, but not silly money. Which, for the longer term stability of the club, is probably for the best. 

Also, to @Sage 's point, we can't keep doing rebuilds every offseason. We're already going to lose Davis, Green, Smith, Field, Cullen, and McGeady. That's a lot of depth and talent to replace as is. Plus I think questions will be asked of Oz, of Aneke's ability to stay fit, of Purrington as a first choice Champo left back, of Pearce's ability to play at this level. So that's a total of another ten who might need replacing or upgrading. 

Also, isn't Prately out of contract? He's been good this year, but I don't know that I'd have him for another year.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I feel like people forget just how good JFC was two years ago. He was strong and tenacious in midfield, excellent on the ball, and pitched in with goals. I would absolutely give him another two year deal. Even if he doesn't work out, we probably wouldn't have a hard time getting a small fee for him, or at least getting him off the books.

Williams, Taylor, and Matthews definitely should be offered new deals/have their options picked up (Williams).

I would definitely give Morgan another couple years. He has a lot of skill and potential. He's not Championship ready, but he's also come a long way in the last 18 months, and he's definitely worth giving more time. This seems like an easy one to me.

Sarr: definitely worth an offer for me as well. On his better days, particularly when he's not playing in a back three next to Pearce, he's good enough to play regularly at this level. He needs to be more consistent, but his ability to play out of the back, and thus us play through midfield, makes him very valuable. As @Leuth points out, I think it's likely that his wages aren't out of the ordinary at Championship level.

Amos: is a decent second-choice keeper. Would have no problem keeping him. I think we'd have a hard time finding a better second choice keeper. Unless Gallen has someone better lined up, I think Amos is a good option. 

Page: yeah. It's not his fault that he's had so many injury problems. But he's not worth keeping.

Hemed: Depends on how he does to the end of the season. We haven't seen much of him to this point because of injury, but he's a proven goalscorer at this level. 

Cullen: I know he has another year at West Ham, but we should do everything we can go get him in permanently. 

Solly: The toughest one of this list emotionally. If we get relegated, yes. If we stay up, unfortunately no. It will be deeply weird to see him in the kit of another team. But he hasn't looked like a Championship regular this season, we have a better option in Matthews and Deji who can play there. We'd need to add someone else most likely, but I think that's doable. For a 2nd or 3rd choice RB at this level we could do a lot worse, but if we want to continue to play with wingbacks, I just can't see him being up to it. 

For those saying ESI are going to start throwing around tons of money, I just can't really see it. January is a tough time to do business, but they didn't exactly throw around the cash then. I have to suspect that they could have offered a loan fee and more wages for Gallagher, and didn't. But they did offer 1.5m for Maddison. So they will spend money it seems, but not silly money. Which, for the longer term stability of the club, is probably for the best. 

Also, to @Sage 's point, we can't keep doing rebuilds every offseason. We're already going to lose Davis, Green, Smith, Field, Cullen, and McGeady. That's a lot of depth and talent to replace as is. Plus I think questions will be asked of Oz, of Aneke's ability to stay fit, of Purrington as a first choice Champo left back, of Pearce's ability to play at this level. So that's a total of another ten who might need replacing or upgrading. 

Also, isn't Prately out of contract? He's been good this year, but I don't know that I'd have him for another year.
    Pratley signed a new deal a few months ago.
  • Options
    I think this is the summer where it's a good thing about the players leaving. We won't get this lucky again next season with how weak the championship is. Assuming Norwich come down they're always up there, and whoever else comes down out of West Ham, Watford, Villa etc will also be a problem to compete with. You look below and Rotherham look like they could be a better side than Wigan and Barnsley at least, Ipswich and Sunderland if they come up with backing, even Peterborough.

The point is this league ain't getting any easier and most of those players aren't good enough. Is Amos really worth his wages to be a back up? Touch wood Dill had been great health wise, I would rather focus them wages elsewhere and look around for a cheaper, younger prospect in the league's below. Solly I can't decide, club legend but football is thickle, had his knee not been mashed he would have probably moved to a bigger club when he was in his prime, speaking from a business mindset I think we have outgrown him and he would be wasted on the bench. I would keep Naby he's only 26 and does show glimpses of greatness, could do a lot worse for a back up centre back. Definitely keep Matthews, class player, him and Lockyer on that side is solid, JFC and Page I would both let go, I don't really rate JFC, never have done, can see him reuniting with Karl next season. Page is just Mr Glass, it's harsh but can't keep him waste of a wage. Hemed get rid, would rather offer what he's earning and give it to Taylor on top of what Taylor has, keep Albie but only if he knows he's still a prospect. Definitely keep Williams 

Overrall, preferable to let most go, they either aren't good enough or injury prone 
    Rotherham will struggle if they come up, they're a club which "knows its level" and balances its books

The sub keeper is a tricky one, when Amos signed I imagine he hoped to get a chance at some point, but Dillon has been good all season. Will he want another season as reserve?

I'd be happy to give Sarr another contract, but realistically will he be first choice next season? With Pearce at the "veteran" stage, how many back up CBs do we need?

Page, Hemed and probably JFC will move on. As for Solly, he's sadly not good enough now to justify a playing only contract in the Championship. It's up to him, does he want to move into coaching as well (at a relatively young age), or would be prefer playing on, but elsewhere?
  • Options
    If we are serious about getting out of the Championship we need to sign new players - some of our players can play in the Championship but aren't really good enough to push us higher.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taylor and Matthews currently only ones who are top end championship quality. 

Maybe Amos but don't know enough about him.

...Williams?
    I reckon he is far too injury prone and delicate .. pity as when he's at it he is a very good midfielder
  • Options
    Taylor and Matthews currently only ones who are top end championship quality. 

Maybe Amos but don't know enough about him.

...Williams?
    I reckon he is far too injury prone and delicate .. pity as when he's at it he is a very good midfielder
    If our budget is limited he's a risk.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Williams,Forster-Caskey,Amos,Taylor,Mathews,Solly,Hamed,Sarr,Morgan & Page all out of contract at the end of this season.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-could-have-ten-players-out-of-contract-this-summer-with-six-loans-also-ending/
    we could do without all of the 'wiped out' lol provided of course on what funding Bowyer is given to replace them .. as has been said, I'd like Solly on the coaching side and possibly Forster-Caskey to be retained as long as is serious injury is 100% healed .. Amos is too good a keeper to want to spend another year on the bench, unless the wages are too good to turn down .. the others are not good enough for regular first team selection
  • Options
    clive said:
    Williams,Forster-Caskey,Amos,Taylor,Mathews,Solly,Hamed,Sarr,Morgan & Page all out of contract at the end of this season.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-could-have-ten-players-out-of-contract-this-summer-with-six-loans-also-ending/
    we could do without all of the 'wiped out' lol provided of course on what funding Bowyer is given to replace them .. as has been said, I'd like Solly on the coaching side and possibly Forster-Caskey to be retained as long as is serious injury is 100% healed .. Amos is too good a keeper to want to spend another year on the bench, unless the wages are too good to turn down .. the others are not good enough for regular first team selection
    I doubt Amos would want another season on the bench - seems unlikely bar injury to replace Dillon.
  • Options
    Again back to reality. ESI are not here to tear the wage structure up for arse paper, hence no mega Taylor contract and basically laughing away Maddison's demand for wages. Not many of these players will have a reason to sign on, even close to their current wages.

Taylor: Wants a pay day we have already said we aren't going to give.

Williams: Quality player who has halved his wages. May stay if someone else doesn't ant to commit because of his injury record. so we will probably trigger the extension with the wage bump, but still may look to leave.

Sarr: May not even be offered his current wage, big question is what would somebody else pay him? and will we even want to match that?

Morgan: Rumour has it he told them to poke a renewal last season until he was a first team regular. Bowyers presser this week may not align with Albies ambitions to make him re-sign.

Phillips: Will have suitors following his performance and constant improvement. the lad is heading to the PL one way or another.

Lockyer: Joined Charlton openly as a stepping stone, currently performing, so will have other more proven clubs tempting him away.

Matthew: Maybe would re-sign as having always been the bridesmaid everywhere else.

Cullen: there are about eight threads on this forum explaining why we will probably not be able to secure his services any further. (the biggest hit of all)

Hemed: meh.

Page: I think the end of the line, may go somewhere else and play, but the current set up here are at the end of the line with his injuries.

Solly: Charlton man, testimonial year, but not playing. probably wont be a money driver to leave, more just wants to keep playing regular football. I suspect he may drop down to league one for games, too young for the coaching option the other sentimentalists are suggesting.

JFC: Any further injury this year and he is toast. if not extension rigger for the squad.

Amos: came to fight for a shirt, didn't get it, will want to move on and prove himself following his dismal season at Millwall.

Green: so far so good. Depends if Villa want rid. he will be loyal to his boyhood club, but if they don't want him we could potentially sign in the summer.

Field: no further injury, we need to see if WBA will let him go. Quality operator.

Davis, Smith , Mcgeady: don't know about the playing side, but McGeady won't be back as his wages will be a joke we won't entertain.

Obviously ESI may look to change our player budget in the summer and all of this analysis is void. But if we stay even close to the current wage budget I think the start of the summer will be emotionally challenging for us fans, because we are rather attached  our biggest flight risks.

• Options
    "Lockyer: Joined Charlton openly as a stepping stone" 

Did he? Not saying that's wrong but don't remember what he said. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Jonny's fitness has actually been fairly well managed by the club. His only major setback came about because Wales decided that he could play back to back 90 minutes which is something you'd hope they wouldn't repeat. I'd sign him up on a carefully incentivised contract and look for someone who can share his workload next season.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I’m fairly sure a new signing wouldn’t have said that. 
  • Options
    Again back to reality. ESI are not here to tear the wage structure up for arse paper, hence no mega Taylor contract and basically laughing away Maddison's demand for wages. Not many of these players will have a reason to sign on, even close to their current wages.

Williams: Quality player who has halved his wages. May stay if someone else doesn't ant to commit because of his injury record. so we will probably trigger the extension with the wage bump, but still may look to leave.

Sarr: May not even be offered his current wage, big question is what would somebody else pay him? and will we even want to match that?

Morgan: Rumour has it he told them to poke a renewal last season until he was a first team regular. Bowyers presser this week may not align with Albies ambitions to make him re-sign.

Phillips: Will have suitors following his performance and constant improvement. the lad is heading to the PL one way or another.

Lockyer: Joined Charlton openly as a stepping stone, currently performing, so will have other more proven clubs tempting him away.

Matthew: Maybe would re-sign as having always been the bridesmaid everywhere else.

Cullen: there are about eight threads on this forum explaining why we will probably not be able to secure his services any further. (the biggest hit of all)

Page: I think the end of the line, may go somewhere else and play, but the current set up here are at the end of the line with his injuries.

Solly: Charlton man, testimonial year, but not playing. probably wont be a money driver to leave, more just wants to keep playing regular football. I suspect he may drop down to league one for games, too young for the coaching option the other sentimentalists are suggesting.

JFC: Any further injury this year and he is toast. if not extension rigger for the squad.

Amos: came to fight for a shirt, didn't get it, will want to move on and prove himself following his dismal season at Millwall.

Green: so far so good. Depends if Villa want rid. he will be loyal to his boyhood club, but if they don't want him we could potentially sign in the summer.

Field: no further injury, we need to see if WBA will let him go. Quality operator.

Davis, Smith , Mcgeady: don't know about the playing side, but McGeady won't be back as his wages will be a joke we won't entertain.

Obviously ESI may look to change our player budget in the summer and all of this analysis is void. But if we stay even close to the current wage budget I think the start of the summer will be emotionally challenging for us fans, because we are rather attached  our biggest flight risks.

Lockyer has another year left after this season hence why he wasn't part of this discussion .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JFC and Page to go and Hemed probably as well. Not sure about Sarr and Amos - depends on the wages and what our aspirations are? Solly retain as a squad player and Morgan keep but let out on loan.

Matthews, Williams and Taylor to be retained but obviously wage structure might be an issue?
    If we can't afford to keep a player who was didn't have a club, a player who's spent most of his career injured and a player who's got maybe three years left of his career at a high level, we are not going to be able to attract the quality of new players we want.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Jonny is worth keeping around for what he can do. If he were able to stay fit more often he wouldn't be playing for Charlton, we benefit from his injury issues as much as we suffer. The point above says it all; yes we struggled horribly when he went off, but that just goes to show that we were only where we were - 2-0 up - largely because of Jonny's input. I wish he played more, but having a player who can win you a game when fit is a hell of a lot better than letting him go because he might not be available sometimes and losing that spark that can be the difference between a win and a loss. If we let him go who could we replace him with that would be within our budget, or wouldn't cost more in fees and wages than Jonny would? I think we do need to look at having more players who can decide the outcome of a game, but having Jonny around is essential until we've really established ourselves as a Championship team, which we need him to do.
    I totally understand the sentiment, but could you tell me of another team who essentially have a key player who consistently throughout his career has only been able to play half a season, and when he does play can not play the full 90 minutes?

As good as Jonny is as a player, and I think he is great, I do believe there are also plenty of other very good players out there who we could get who would guarantee more consistency in terms of fitness then Jonny.

In an ideal world, Jonny would stay injury free for the rest of the season and then for the last 10 games show that he can play consistent long minutes. If he does that, then I would sign him up on a longer contract in a heartbeat. I am just skeptical then he can. 
    I just think you are missing a bit of understanding of what JW's game is about. 

You start him in the games at home where you want to press from the off. You being him on for the last 30 in the smash and grab away days.

He played 15-20 minutes at Wembley but was the major reason we won that game. He played 60 minutes against Barnsley but was the standout Motm.

Jonny Williams is very hard to stop 1-on-1 defending because he moves the ball from foot to foot so much and is explosive over the first 10 yards. If he is our main outlet, he will get smashed by constant fouling in every game.
    I really don't feel like I am. I understand perfectly well what Williams is good at, and once again I don't believe anyone can argue against his talent. 

However I struggle to think of any team whose best chance of winning or controlling a game is based around a player who can only average 60 minutes per game for half a season. It just leaves you too vulnerable when he is not available.

I could give lots more examples of games he has not played in, been unable to finish, or could only come on at the end where we have not got a result. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sarr's wages are extremely basic Championship-level wages. It's the other payers who need to be paid more, not him less
    Still a lot for a basic League One level player. 😀
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Lockyer has another year left after this season hence why he wasn't part of this discussion .
    Only included him and Phillips as they were mentioned in the article along with Doughty, but with just one year left, a third year of silly beggars won't be tolerated by Bowyer and Gallen. Those players are well worth bringing into this discussion as they will be signing up or shipping out this summer.
  • Options
    Talal said:

I’m fairly sure a new signing wouldn’t have said that. 
    I admit he hasn't said that. However I was definitely referring back to how I personally inferred the interview below:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-tom-locker-on-how-his-dad-helped-him-decide-on-charlton-athletic-move-why-cardiff-city-release-was-a-blessing-and-motivation-to-prove-people-wrong/

All talk is around the options he had and deciding based on clubs current position and ambitions to be playing whilst stepping up. He really has no reason to commit based on this, a  survival season and won't now be short of suitors in the following summer in the stable to upper championship.

Hence why he holds all the cards if no new deal i signed by the summer.
  • Options
    Yes, probably too young to be a first team coach, but if the academy is to achieve Cat.1 status, I'm sure more coaches are going to be needed.  Maybe I'm being sentimental, but I hope Solly may be one of them.

Solly is already working for his coaching badges, so clearly has an interest working as a coach in the future.

He and ex-Charlton players Andrew Crofts & Rob Elliot are the directors of Players Elite Academy (" Players Elite Academy has been set up in the Gillingham area by professional players whose roots are in the area. It will provide top class coaching to children aged 4-12, through F.A. recognised coaching methods, challenges and activities."), so Solly seems to have an interest in coaching young players.  https://www.playerseliteacademy.co.uk/player-bios/

Even if he does leave us in the summer for a year or 2 playing at a lower level, I very much hope the club will be able to offer him a coaching role when he finally hangs up his boots.  As well as his footballing skills, and his experience of playing under so many managers/head coaches, he is ideally placed to exemplify the Charlton ethos for young players.
  • Options

Williams, Keep - I feel we create more, although he tends to play 60 minutes. Crucial to the side going forward and creating chances.

Forster-Caskey- I'd keep if we cant buy Cullen, he is class but Only really a back up at the moment.

Amos- Keep we have nothing better at present in reserve, none of the youngsters seem ready.

Taylor,KEEP- This should be the first on the list in the summer, he is our main man. Good enough to score the goals to challenge next year. Sign him up ASAP

Mathews - Keep- Done better than expected, solid going forward and in defence

Solly,- Keep- player/ coach role, similar to Jacko how he integrated

Hamed- Leave - Haven't seen much of him, but I just feel if we are too push on to the next level we need 2/3 proper strikers, see if he can change our minds

Sarr, Keep, for me he is good enough. Sometimes can be suspect, but also our best ball player from the back. Pops up on the odd occasion

Morgan, Keep, not sure if he is quite this level but he should be involved or at worse loaned out to a side in league one

Page, Whatever, if no injury no brainer he is our best left back. The problem is constant injuries, not worth keeping unless he sometimes turns into bionic man.

• Options

I just think you are missing a bit of understanding of what JW's game is about. 

You start him in the games at home where you want to press from the off. You being him on for the last 30 in the smash and grab away days.

He played 15-20 minutes at Wembley but was the major reason we won that game. He played 60 minutes against Barnsley but was the standout Motm.

Jonny Williams is very hard to stop 1-on-1 defending because he moves the ball from foot to foot so much and is explosive over the first 10 yards. If he is our main outlet, he will get smashed by constant fouling in every game.
    I really don't feel like I am. I understand perfectly well what Williams is good at, and once again I don't believe anyone can argue against his talent. 

However I struggle to think of any team whose best chance of winning or controlling a game is based around a player who can only average 60 minutes per game for half a season. It just leaves you too vulnerable when he is not available.

I could give lots more examples of games he has not played in, been unable to finish, or could only come on at the end where we have not got a result. 
    I guess that is how you have to cut your cloth if you are the lowest wage bill in the league.

Agree all of your points if money wasnt such a factor. It is.

A 46 game a season Williams gets paid 25k plus a week in the championship. He is just as influential at this level as a Grealish or a Knockaert 

It is because of his injury record that he came and it is because of said record none paid him a 3 year deal last summer. The guy is class, best player by a mile with fitness the only drawback.
  • Options
    Williams - Keep, Good enough for this league
    Forster-Caskey - Undecided
    Amos - Release
    Taylor - Keep, at all costs within whatever is the current structure at the end of season.
    Matthews - Keep
    Solly - Keep
    Hemed - Undecided
    Sarr - Keep, if he'll take a smaller salary
    Morgan - Undecided and I like him
    Page - Release, cold but needs to go. 

• Options

Rotherham will struggle if they come up, they're a club which "knows its level" and balances its books

The sub keeper is a tricky one, when Amos signed I imagine he hoped to get a chance at some point, but Dillon has been good all season. Will he want another season as reserve?

I'd be happy to give Sarr another contract, but realistically will he be first choice next season? With Pearce at the "veteran" stage, how many back up CBs do we need?

Page, Hemed and probably JFC will move on. As for Solly, he's sadly not good enough now to justify a playing only contract in the Championship. It's up to him, does he want to move into coaching as well (at a relatively young age), or would be prefer playing on, but elsewhere?
    I think Rotherham right now beat Barnsley and Wigan, give us a game as well. Stuck with their manager and strengthened. I don't think they'll be the usual 3 points next season for big champ teams.

Pearcey and Sarr are both good enough as back up, not many better than Pearcey at those mini wars with a big strong centre forward. Sarr didn't get called up to Senegal for no reason, he has talent. 

Deffo need a younger goalie, Amos is too good for back up and high wages. Can always emergency loan if Phillips gets injured?!